advice - newly diagnosed dad

Hi Everyone

Any help would be greatly appreciated - father newly diagnosed Friday last week. Yes he's 82 but a fun loving - living on his own - going for weekend jaunts, etc - this was and is something we were not expecting at all. Perfectly healthy or at least on the outside. Anyhow had after numerous cat scans, pet scan, bronch over the last 2 weeks and today a needle biopsy , thur and fri a bone and brain scan. It is suggestive of non small cell neuroendiocrine carcinoma which i hear is not the best.

kindest regards to all,

cp

Welcome here although you are right these are not the best circumstances. The good news is he had all the right tests done and will hopefully be receiving a treatment plan soon. There is lots of hope and inspiring stories here. And ask any question you can think of and it will b answered. I can tell you that all will feel better soon once you know exactly what you are dealing with and what the plan is. Take care

Sandra

Welcome to this site. You will find the members here very friendly and have a wealth of experience. As you get more information, please post your questions and you will receive answers and support from members who have been there. As other's have said, things will get more focused once you have a plan in place.

cp, When I was diagnosed I couldn't help looking up everything to be found on the subject. None of it was good. I'm IIIb NSCLC (adenocarcinoma) and six infusions put me into remission.

There is great hope for your father because he's healthy and active and that is often huge in the prognosis of any cancer.

Will look forward to your Updates, Judy in Key West

"cpollock413@aol.com" ...This was and is something we were not expecting at all. Perfectly healthy or at least on the outside.

Sounds all too familiar, cp.

Welcome to the group! When the remaining tests are complete, let us know what treatment is planned. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome CP,

I wonder what the CT scan showed.....It sounds hopeful to me as they are proceeding to bone scan and brain scan which sort of suggests they think he may be operable. So keep your fingers crossed on the next two scans.

This weekend is Father's Day, so do something special and sing Happy Father's Day to You to your Dad. He'll love it. :):):)

Barb

Hello cp,

Welcome to a wonderful place to receive support, and post any input.

There isn't much I can add to the already-great advice that you have received here, but I will say that your 82-year young Dad is most probably better off due to his otherwise-healthy demeanor.

Being in "pretty good shape" generally, was what helped my husband get through his treatments (we believe) for now 3 1/2 years. He was 74 years old when diagnosed. Age is relative. Some oldsters are quite strong.

Bill is in treatment presently, and we are going out this weekend to lunch with our beautiful granddaughter, Nadia, who is visiting us (up from her home in Florida). We don't miss much in the way of "goings on." :)

May you feel more confident when they have a plan in mind for your Dad, and please, do not hesitate to post and keep us informed. We are anxious to know how he and you will be doing.

Keeping hope and attitude,

Barbara

Numerous research studies over recent years have confirmed that age is irrelevant. Instead, it is "Performance Status" (the patient's overall physical health) that is of tantamount importance.

While it is true that the prognosis for lung cancer is abysmal, we patients are not statistics, and in my own opinion (partially substantiated by research studies), the patient's "attitude" is the most important factor of all. When I was diagnosed in 01/07 (Stage IIIB, poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma), I made the conscious decision to have the highest quality of life possible during my remaining time (no matter how long or how short). I also made the conscious decision to try to "buy" as much time as possible--so long as I didn't--in the long run--lose my quality of life (see link to "My Story" below).

I don't know anything about neuroendocrine (sp?) cancer, but the inclusion of "endocrine" may actually be good news as hormone-receptive cancers often have more chemo options than others. I'm sure that a search of the Internet will provide you with help on that one and always recommend the federal goverment's http://www.cancer.gov/ website as a reliable source of information.

In the meantime, your father sounds to me like the kind of guy who is up for both buying time and quality of life, and I wish him and your family all the best. Also, as others have posted here, don't ever hesitate to ask for help, advice--or even a shoulder to cry on (these are what we're all about).

Carole

Life is a Terminal Condition