Tarceva is da bomb!

fillise

The difference Tarceva has made for my mom has been like night and day. Before the Tarceva she was weak and getting weaker. She was losing weight and sounded like it was hard to even talk on the phone.

After 6 weeks on Tarceva she has more energy, is out and about with her friends and sounds much more like her old self when I talk to her on the phone. The difference is just amazing.

Her rash has mostly subsided and she has had a few boths with the diarrhea but it hasn't been too severe. Right now she is taking 75 mg per day. She sees the Dr in a couple of weeks and they will discuss bumping up to 100.

I know it is different for everyone, but so far we couldn't be more pleased with her response to the Tarceva!

Susan

Susan, I am so very happy to see this very good news on your Mom's response to Tarceva. It's wonderful that she is back to having energy.

There is nothing more encouraging than to see one's loved one being able to gain.

You and your Mom are in my daily prayers for success.

Barbara

Susan, I as well couldn't be more pleased with your mother's response to Tarceva. Having energy to be out and about is so important. You know I watch for your posts for her all the time and this one makes me less terrified of the possibility of going on Tarceva. The rash scares me. I'm reminded that it can calm down once you get on the right dose for awhile. Is she worried about bumping it up again? Keep us posted.

Judy

I'm so happy to hear that Tarceva is working well for your mom. We weren't as lucky with my husband. It's very rare but Tarceva can also cause major problems which happened to my husband. Sad to say but with him it reacted like fuel for the cancer.

Thanks everyone!

Judy--mom got the rash with a vengence. After only four days her doc said it looks like she had been taking it for two weeks. BUT she had already stopped coughing and was feeling better. He gave her a 10 day break and started her back at 1/2 the full dose, 75 mg. She got the rash again, but it was much kess severe and more manageable. Now it is almost gone and she expects that the doc will bum her up to 100 mg when she sees him this week.

Right now, given the difference in the way she feels, she tells me she can handle a little rash! Ned's advice for coping with the rash has been helpful.

NED--she hasn't been tested for the EGFR mutation, but I agree that it sounds like she might have it.

Michelle--I sure wish the Tarceva had helped your hubby.

Susan

Mom saw her Onc yesterday and he was very pleased with her progress. He is going to give her 5 more weeks and then do the next set of scans.

Mom will turn 80 next week--a birthday we never though she'd see after her Dx. She took her Onc a bottle of champaigne because she said he deserved the presents. She said she though he was going to cry.

I'm flying up next Wednesday and we are having a nice family dinner on Thursday (the 25th) to celebrate.

Susan

Susan - your mom is certainly a class act - I am pretty sure that the oncs don't often get gifts to help celebrate their patient's good news and upcoming birthdays! What a special lady.

Enjoy the birthday celebration together as a family - can't top the birthday gifts she got this year! Tell her a special "Happy Birthday" from me.

Hugs,

Linda