update re my new birthday

Geri

Hi, I'm still here even though it's been a hellava ride! Back in Feb I had a heart block which, due to location and good health care personnel, I survived. Hence my new birthday.

However I was only home 3 weeks before I needed to be back in the hospital - I suggested that my name be put on the door and I should leave my hospital stuff there!

After many tests it was determined that I had damage to my heart that would shorten my life to months at most. I was given the "choice" of being appraised for an LVAD (left ventrical assist device) aka an electric heart pump. Some choice!! :shock::shock:

So that's what's going on here, my recovery has been long and painful due to a horrible case of shingles, the LVAD was a walk in the park for me (not for my family though) as I was sedated for the best part of 2 weeks until they closed my chest incision.

So now I carry a controller and 2 battery packs in my vest pockets. on a belt ot in a bag, except when I go to bed and I tether myself to a base unit for power instead.

I also found out that all this damage was caused by the chemo I had for my breast cancer. So my life has been changed forever and my family and I have climbed back on the roller coaster that all cancer patients and caregivers know so well.

So that's my year so far, I am still working on getting back my indepence......I can't drive or lift anything for a while so I sit in the back of the car (can't risk getting hit by an air bag) and my grandson doesn't understand why I can't even put him on my lap.

All this beats the alternative, I can no longer go swimming or soak in the bath but I'm breathing easier and slowly getting my energy back.

Take care

Geri

Geri, first it's so good to "see" you. I am so sorry for all that you've had to go thru. It doesn't seem fair to kick cancer and then get back on the roller coaster to deal with the long term effects of chemo.

You sound like your spirits are good. That independence is really important I'm sure. What are the odds you can get in that RV for R&R on the beach in the Carolinas. I can't remember which Carolina or the name of the place but I'm still hoping one of these days to get the details from you because we're going lol.

Take care.

Judy in KW

Hi Geri,

I've always loved hearing from you and seeing your smiling face in your profile picture. I'm so sorry that you've had such difficulties. Life can really suck sometimes but yes, you're right about the alternative.

Rest easy, let them ALL take care of you and get better. Stay in touch and happy birthday.

(((Geri))), I am just so very sorry to read about all that has happened to you. You are such a fighter and one of the most inspiring people I've had the pleasure of meeting, via this site. I think of you and have said many prayers for you, those prayers continue now. All you can do is take it one day at a time, Geri. I'm glad to read that your breathing is better. Hang in there and know that prayers are being sent your way. Keep us updated when you can.

Hugs,

Sue

Wow Geri! You Are a real fighter! You enjoy everymoment of that new birthday! I count my surgery date as my second birthday! You take care.

Carol

Geri,

Eerie! I don't know what prompted it, but I was thinking about you yesterday. Thought maybe I should call Kasey and see if she knows how you are doing. Thank you for posting. What a crappola year you have had but life continues and moves forward and that is good news. I love the 'Driving Miss Geri'. My wish is for continued improvement in all areas of your recovery.

A grandson, how wonderful. How old is he? Keep us posted please, we care about you and miss you when you are AWOL.

Holy cow Geri you're about to give Rich a fight for the most things a person with lung cancer can have other than lung cancer. I can't believe all you've been through. I hope you are well enough to enjoy your summer with the family.

Man oh man Geri - reading your post was like living a "Jason Bourne" movie - more ups and downs and way too much scary stuff and suspense! Seriously though, I am really sorry that you are having such a rough go of it. It sounds as though your making the best of a horrible situation and I agree that the alternative is worse. So happy that your energy is returning and the breathing is getting easier.

Happy "new" birthday Geri!

Linda

Hi Geri,

Happy new birthday,boy have you been through the mill,sounds to me you are not the one in wasting time in the fightback to full health,I wish you a speedy and full recovery,with many happy new birthdays to come.

Hi Geri,

Reading your post made me gasp... :shock: someone as nice as you and such an inspiration to so many, this just is not fair. But as we know life is full of surprises and we have to take them as they come. You're so right like you had a choice. I am relieved to hear that you will be with us for quite awhile now.

I am amazed through all this you are still working... what a trooper you are. :D

Please know that I miss you and so glad you updated us on what is going on.

Your friend always,

Maryanne

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the update :wink::lol:

This week was a week to celebrate, I went to the clinic for my regular check up and to be tested on the emergency procedures in regard of my LVAD. This means I can change my contoller and battery packs.

What also made it a red letter day was that I get to sit in the FRONT seat now - like all other growed up persons on the planet (no more talking to Richard in the rear view mirror or at the very least the back of his head - no more driving Miss Geri, Ginny sometimes it was very much like the movie!!)

But I saved the best for last...........drum roll please.......I can now drive myself again. You have no idea how liberating it was tonight when I drove myself to my daughter's house (less than a mile away) for dinner with the "ladies". It was wonderful. :D:D

So that's my update, I'm getting stronger every day and am looking forward to a summer with my 14 month old grandson - everything is exciting and new so I'm going to try and be more like him.

You may not hear too much from me, I read far more often than I post but rest assured that I shall enjoy being alive every day.

Take care everyone, thank you for your support and prayers.

Geri.

Geri - I am grinning ear to ear reading your post. I love reading such happy news! Glad to hear that you are getting stronger every day - you are going to need that energy for your 14 month old grandson (if he is anything like my boy was :lol: !)

Enjoy your summer Geri!

Hugs,

Linda

Geri, so so happy to hear the good news. When I first got cancer we fell into the habit of Stan driving me everywhere. I still remember that marvelous feeling of freedom the first time I drove myself. Good for you! Six to eighteen months was my favorite time with my grandson--altho all times were awesome. Have a great summer and visit when you can.

Judy in KW'

Thanks Geri for bringing a great big smile to my chops,I just knew it wouldnt be long until you were back in the saddle,enjoy your new life.

my long time friend,

WHAT?????!!!!!!!!!!

and yet you post a reply to my whiney post about my eyes.............with encouragement and love.

You are my inspiration at this point.

I think of you moment by moment and in my head sing "Happy Birthday" each time.

You are a wonder.

so very very glad to hear about such great progress.

Enjoy your grandchild and your new life approach............

I honestly love you, Geri.

Whattawoman!

Pat