NSCLC Round 3

Susan Cornett

Last week's scan shows that my mystery nodule has continued to grow. It is now 1.1 cm x 1.9 cm and it has to go.  Super Doc says there are two options: SBRT or a pneumonectomy. He looked at my lung function tests from June and says I'm not a good candidate for surgery, which is fine with me.  I'd like that to be a last resort because that was not an easy surgery.  

Next steps are MRI and PET scan to check for any mets.  If this is it, we'll get SBRT going quickly.  He knows I'm headed to Florida at the end of September and that trip is non-negotiable!

Aw, Susan, that really sucks.  The SBRT might be just the ticket, though.  Keep us posted on those scans, and will keep all fingers crossed for the dang nodule to be the only thing going on.  September's a GREAT time to visit Florida.  Got anything in particular going on down there?

Susan,

Oh my!  Well the good thing is you’ve had an early potential recurrence find and your doctors are being aggressive. 

SBRT likely saved my life. First it fried my stubborn tumor but even more importantly the associated abscopal effect likely tuned up my immune system to hunt out and kill cancer cells. 

I see you on a white beach in September so...

Stay the course. 

Tom

6 hours ago, Susan Cornett said:

Last week's scan shows that my mystery nodule has continued to grow. It is now 1.1 cm x 1.9 cm and it has to go.  Super Doc says there are two options: SBRT or a pneumonectomy. He looked at my lung function tests from June and says I'm not a good candidate for surgery, which is fine with me.  I'd like that to be a last resort because that was not an easy surgery.  

Next steps are MRI and PET scan to check for any mets.  If this is it, we'll get SBRT going quickly.  He knows I'm headed to Florida at the end of September and that trip is non-negotiable!

Dammit, sorry to hear this, Susan. Wishing you all the best with this latest hiccup!!

Thanks, all.  Not the news we were hoping for yesterday but not unexpected.

LexieCat - I go to Florida each fall for a week with my girlfriends.  Along the way, we met some wonderful people from NC and KY that go the same time every year.  So now it's a big reunion and so much fun.  

What I didn't mention in my original post is the face that Super Doc made when he was looking at results, etc.  He wheeled back from his computer screen and scrunched up his face like he smelled something bad.  I told him he did not have a poker face. 

Sounds like an awesome trip!  I love those traditions that just sort of organically evolve.

I love your SuperDoc.  Personally, I'm a lot more comfy with a doctor who reacts to things like a human being, not a medical robot.  I know you love him, too.  You're in good hands.  :)

Susan,

When I read your original post talking about the nodule, I made the same crinkled face that SuperDoc made! So sorry :(

Excited to hear about your September girls trip (and a little jealous!). 

Take Care,

Steff

Susan you’ve got this!  I’m just glad super doc is on top of things. I know having the same group of docs and nurses how good they are. 

Take Care

Paula

10 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Susan,

I will think shrinking thoughts about your nodule. Yay for non-negotiable trips!

Bridget 

Indeed! Life should be nonnegotiable. Thinking many minimizing thoughts. ❤️

You know you are a cancer survivor when you get excited that you only have one tumor!!  Got PET and MRI results this morning and the nodule in my lung is the only thing that lit up.  Will meet with radiation doc and get started with SBRT soon.  

That loud swoosh of wind you heard today? A collective exhale from Texas. 

How GREAT!  You can gang up and beat that bad boy into submission.  

LOL, you know you're a fellow survivor when you actually congratulate someone on their tumor!  :)

Hi, Susan,

I'm happy that you're in such great hands with your SuperDoc and that you have a solid plan! We'll be thinking of you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

On 8/7/2018 at 11:41 AM, Susan Cornett said:

You know you are a cancer survivor when you get excited that you only have one tumor!!  Got PET and MRI results this morning and the nodule in my lung is the only thing that lit up.  Will meet with radiation doc and get started with SBRT soon.  

That loud swoosh of wind you heard today? A collective exhale from Texas. 

YES Susan!!! Such great news! Big exhale in Illinois as well!

Archived