Radio or chemoradio

Nel james

I have stage three contained lung cancer but surgery not possible as too central and close to airway and blood vessels. I’ve been offered either radiotherapy alone (as I fear chemotherapy) but their preferred treatment option is chemoradiotherapy. Anyone have any advice?

My diagnosis is very same to yours. I’m on my 5th week of chemo and radiation. The chemo is low dose and it’s not too bad with side effects. I was advised that the radiation kills the tumor, the chemo gets what is floating around in your lymph and blood systems. I was very against chemo as I had watched people go through it. Glad I made the decision I did. I’m all for fighting with everything available. 

I remember VERY well how much trepidation Barb had when she first came in these forums.  But now look at her--she is all guts and glory and helping to boost the courage of others who are in the same scary place she was.

Listen, none of us is a superhero, but you'll be amazed at the wells of strength you didn't know you had.  We do what we gotta do, and leaning on each other for support helps a TON along the way.  :) 

If it were me, I'd be going at it with both six-guns.

Hi Nel and welcome. My lung cancer was stage !a so all I needed was surgery. But prior to lung cancer I had another unrelated cancer. For that one I had surgery, followed by concurrent chemo and radiation and then some additional chemo. Chemo wasn't pleasant and I did have side effects, mostly digestive, since my gut was being radiated. With chemo and lung radiation, you'd have side effects but different ones. It was all doable though, I drove myself to all of my chemo and radiation appointments except the first one, when I didn't know. what to expect. That  cancer was stage 3, aggressive, and had a poor prognosis. Today, I' 8 years out from that diagnosis and I have had no recurrences and today I have no evidence of disease. . I'm glad I decided to throw everything possible at that cancer. 

Chemo is indeed scary, but cancer is scarier. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Bridget O

Hi Nell,

I was worried about the chemo too.  I had images of my Grandmother when she underwent treatment for throat cancer.  I was diagnosed at Stage IV & didn’t see the point of treatment.  Then something changed & the sheer determination set in so I started the chemo not knowing what to expect.  There was an urgency to get the chemo started right away due to the lymph node involvement. My port went in the next day.  It was a blur! 

The medical team did a great job in getting us prepared & the side effects were minimal.  

My tumor started to shrink pretty quickly after the first dose of Carbo/Alimta/Keytruda.  Now I’m taking a oral targeted therapy & feeling so much better.  

Whatever you decide- our group here will help pull you through. We’ve been there-done that.  

Michelle

On 2/13/2019 at 6:52 PM, Barb1260 said:

Thanks LexieCat!  If you would have asked me 2 months ago if there was hope the answer was no-I was oh so very wrong!!

We're very glad that this community gives you hope, Barb! 

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi and thank you for your thoughts which are so much appreciated

what they’ve decided to do is hit it with 20

fractions of radiotherapy over 4 weeks and two sessions of Cistoplatin/Vinerelbine over 6 weeks starting March so praise be to God for good outcome and smooth ride 😬

Hi Nel. I was diagnosed with Stage 3A mid year of 2016. I went the chemo radiation route after surgery. I was never sorry. I had some days that were not any fun but I did what I had to do. My cancer showed up again in May 2018 and I am once again in the fight. 

All of us here would agree that if we could chose we would not chose cancer. We would also agree that attitude is everything no matter how it goes. 

You can do this, whatever decision you make will be right for you.

But most of all just believe, you can do this.

Ron

I was diagnosed with Stage 3b This time last year 2018 and there plan was chemo and radiation and I have never regretted that plan of attack . Now on Immunotherapy for last six months and half way to completion of the yearly treatment. Que Sera

Bob

They told me that all being  well, after the treatment I have the option for 12months immunotherapy and anything that may assist in the inhibition of spread and keeps things stable is great. Let’s look forward to that 🙏🤞

Hi, Nel,

We're glad to hear that you have a plan! We'll be thinking of you, so please continue to post updates when you can!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 1 month later...

Hello

its been a while since I last posted as have been feeling pretty unwell. Started chemo and radiotherapy on same day and bad reaction to chemo. Felt wretched and lost weight but got through it and had one week then effects of radiotherapy started to bite.for last almost two weeks of radioT I developed oesophogitis which has daily got worse. Finished hyperfractionated radioT two days ago but I’m told it will be a couple of weeks before side effects improve. Second cycle of chemo which should’ve been delivered last week was cancelled due to high levels of toxicity and they will revisit that tomorrow. I do however still feel very unwell and eating and drinking more painful than I can say. I don’t feel my body can handle a cycle of chemo as I currently feel so very much hoping they’ll agree.

every evening I feel like I have flu and am so very tired.

scan to see if treatment has done it’s job in three months.

Hi Nell-

Thanks for sharing your update.  I’m so sorry you’re having such a tough go of it.  Sometimes the treatment can be harder than the disease in the short term. 

I was thinking about you all across the pond during my latest Netflix adventure- Death in Paradise- it’s great for a laugh here.  

I hope the medical team can get some of the side effects under control soon

Will keep you in our prayers! 

Michelle

Good morning Nel, I’m hoping you’re feeling better today. I went through the problems with swallowing and had a real hard time with it. My radiologist thought it was thrush and prescribe meds and a drink that I swollowed right before I would eat. It was still painful so I either wouldn’t eat or ate ice cream, pudding or mashed potatoes. I still lost weight but kept pushing. Oh and one girl I was doing radiation with suggested alkaline ph balanced water. I know it’s tough but try anything to get your calories for energy. I’m praying  you’re strong enough to get your next chemo treatment. 

Take Care 

Paula

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

just to say that these last few days for the first time since treatment started six weeks ago I’m beginning to feel better. I finished the hyperfractionated four week course of radiotherapy two weeks ago. Eating and drinking just water so painful but just beginning to ease a little and a joy to eat just s little more than mashed potato and cheese and gluten free pasta and cheese! They haven’t done 2nd and final cycle of chemo as I was week and too much toxicity. Oncologist decided to give me a week antibiotics and a week recovery as suspected slight chest infection. Seeing her next week and she says may do low dose chemo but not certain.

almost three months before scan as I’m told radiotherapy continues to work so time for prayer 🙏 

Hi Nel. You’ve had a tough time of it and I’m glad you’re feeling better. My docs all said radiation continues to work for a while after so I’m praying on that myself until the next phase starts-hopefully soon. Ice cream and pops are easy to eat if you can. Stay positive!

Hi Nell

You’re in the home stretch now.  Hang on. You might want to try smoothies- load it up with healthy greens to power up your immune system.  Kale & beets will be a good start.  Sounds yucky however using food as medicine will help to kick start your recovery process.  

Stay strong in your faith and you will be rewarded!  

Hugs!

Michelle

Archived