One Year Lobectomy Follow Up

Curt

I had my one year (a few months added due to COVID closures in NY).  All clear!   Since this was almost a year and a half check up the doctor schedule a follow up in six months.  After that it is yearly.   The pains in my side are a lot less and a lot less frequent.  It is still numb to the touch but that is subsiding, or I am getting use to it.  Breathing is completely normal.  I did ten laps in the pool yesterday without any issue.   

I’ve been completely consumed by work and trying to navigate my company through these last few months.  I’m working like I did when I first started the company 15 years ago.  I think of everyone here often And hope you are all doing well.  I’m hoping I can get back to being more active soon.  Until then...

Curt,

Wonderful news. Ten laps in the pool is indeed a mighty achievement for a lung cancer survivor. I encourage you to move on with your life but do abide by your scheduled checkups. Our disease is notorious for recurrences.

Stay the course.

Tom

Curt,

TEN LAPS!!!  Now that's knocking it out of the park.  I'm glad to hear about how well you're doing and everything is clear.  Keep on the good track and continue to take care of yourself.  I know how stressful corporate life can be so don't let it consume you.  

Lou

Hey Curt,

My sister said something along the same lines, as an established design firm in NNJ, she’s running in start up mode.  Crazy what you’re experiencing in the northeast. 
I’m so thrilled you find the time to continue to pop into the Forum, you and @LouT have become a beacon of hope to all of those prepping for surgery.  Learning from your peers is far more valuable than any appointment with an oncologist. 
Hang tight buddy! 
Michelle

@Rower Michelle start up mode is a good way of putting it.  I think I’ll share that with my employees.  Many of them were not around for that phase.     

NY has been hit pretty hard.  My surgeon yesterday said he has postponed all but the most urgent surgeries.  Most appointments were cancelled over the last three months and he’s only been doing tele conferences.  They turned a wing of Sloan into a COVID wing, which is thankfully emptying.  There was a COVID drive through testing site in the parking lot, which was empty.  The waiting room, which is normally very full, was empty.  The surgeon said most people still aren’t comfortable going for their appointments.  The risks of COVID are high for those  battling cancer.  I hope the risks from delaying treatments doesn’t turn out to be worse.  

It’s bad back home.  We had to hospitalize my Mom during peak in NNJ, due to a cancer recurrence which would have been detected I’d there was outpatient care available.  The scariest part was listening to my Dad call 911 and not have anyone answer.  

My sister says for business owners it’s survival of the fittest, only the scrappy, innovative firms are going to survive.  Multiple people have taken on new roles in addition to their current ones.  Her admin has discovered new talents in marketing, the accounting department has figured out how to service whatever they use to print drawings.   It’s pretty much all hands on deck.   She put together Margarita kits and had them delivered to the WFH staff for a virtual happy hour.  Was much needed relief!  
I really hope the trend holds back East.  While we’ve seen an uptick here since Phase III it’s relatively low in comparison.  

Im optimistic we’re going to get through this.  

Michelle,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom.  I hope she is doing better now.  Throughout this Covid19 crisis I've continued to wonder if the smarter route would have been to isolate those with vulnerabilities or of the 60+ population (btw, I'm part of both groups) and keep the rest of the country going.  In May I heard that approximately 81,000 cases of cancer had gone undiagnosed because of the curtailing of normal medical services.  I'm truly fearful that inaccurate modeling and poorly prepared local and federal government preparation drove us into a solution that may damage and potentially hurt more people than the virus itself would have on its own.  Let's hope not.

Lou

Thanks Lou. Mom is doing okay with home health, PT & OT.  We’re meeting with the interventionist on Friday to hopefully get a biopsy scheduled.  I’m not sure if Mom wants a biopsy, it’s her call.   So we carry on.   Hugs! 

Hi Curt.  I'm glad to hear about your recovery! Where are you able to swim? All our gyms and pools are closed and I'm not able to do the water exercise that I've been doing for years. Instead of looking for an alternative, i've been complaining and sulking! Hmm. I need to get a grip.

About other medical services during the shutdown, my wife had to go to the ER due to an injury and she said it was the best ER experience she ever had. There were no other patients in the waiting room and she was seen immediately. The staff said the place was more carefully sanitized than it had ever been. Later, she had PT by video call (I held the phone so the therapist could see her) and it worked just fine.

I had a roaring toothache and telephone dentistry was not quite as effective. The dentist concluded that I probably needed a root canal, but due to the virus I got a prescription for an antibiotic instead. Luckily, it resolved the pain after several days, but I still have the root canal to look forward to when things open up. 

Fortunately, I didn't have anything cancer related to deal with during this time. My next followup is in October.

Hang in there, everybody!

Bridget O

@BridgetO we have a pool that I do laps in.  The public outdoor pools are starting to open back up.  The indoor ones I use in the winter are still closed.  

You are reminding me that I need to make a dentist appointment.  I’ve been holding off going but maybe it will be a quicker appointment right now.  

Archived