Karma?

DeanCarl

Ok look. I'm basically a nice guy, right? I mean I don't go around doing mean and nast things, ya know? So ... I FINALLY get my scooter an can actually go do things, ok? I mean, I can go to the grocery. Or to the convenience store or maybe stop by the used book store for some new reading material. Right? WRONG!!!!! One thing I can NOT do is ride my scooter in the rain (I checked that out with the manufacturer). But that's no big deal ... I live in "sunny southern california".

Well ..... here's the weather forcast for the next week:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

320 PM PST FRI FEB 20 2004

TONIGHT...A 70 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN... LOWS 41 TO 48... LIGHT WINDS

SATURDAY...RAIN... HIGHS 52 TO 59... SOUTH WINDS AROUND 15 MPH

SATURDAY NIGHT...RAIN... LOWS 41 TO 48... SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH

SUNDAY...RAIN... HIGHS 52 TO 59... SOUTH WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH

SUNDAY NIGHT...CHANCE OF RAIN... LOWS 41 TO 48... SOUTHWEST EVENING WINDS 15 MPH.

MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY... CHANCE OF RAIN... HIGHS IN THE 50S

MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY... CHANCE OF RAIN... LOWS 41 TO 48

TUESDAY...RAIN LIKELY... WINDY... HIGHS IN THE 50S

TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY... WINDY... LOWS 41 TO 48

WEDNESDAY...RAIN LIKELY... WINDY... HIGHS 54 TO 60

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY... LOWS 42 TO 49

THURSDAY...RAIN LIKELY... HIGHS 54 TO 60

THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY... LOWS 42 TO 49

FRIDAY...RAIN LIKELY... HIGHS 54 TO 60 =

-------------------------------------------------------------

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!! :evil: Gonna move to Yuma.

Dean

Well Dean I guess it is time you move up to sunny Northern California and leave rainy Southern California behind. We were supposed to have rain all week but thank God it lasted for only 3 days. Seems like the rest of it moved south to you.

Now there is always the malls or WalMart where you can go, of coarse getting on and off of the bus in the rain is not the greatest thing either. Just make sure if you do to let the bus driver handle it. I think you may have done your share of that when you were the driver. We don't want to hear about any more injuries.

Here's hoping that the rain ends soon and you can go putt putting everyday. Take care and remember it can't rain forever this is California not the deep south.

Lillian

Yea David, real funny. But think it through a moment. I need my scooter to walk. In order to use the mall you need to walk around the place. So I need to get me AND my scooter to the mall. To get my scooter to the mall I need to take bus. In order to take a bus I have to get to the bus stop. In order to get to the bus stop I have to ride my scooter about a half a mile. AND I CAN'T RIDE MY SCOOTER A HALF MILE IN THE RAIN! Not to mention the fact there are no covered bus stops where I live so I'd be sitting out in the rain waiting for a bus. Now that wouldn't bother me a bit. A good rain poncho and I'm good to go. However, according to the manufacturer the electronics in the back are NOT waterproofed. Can you say "ZZAAAP"?

So having it rain is just as effective in keeping me shut up inside this apartment as piling 10 feet of snow against the front door would be for anybody else.

Guess us "disabled" folk aren't supposed to go anywhere like "real" people do. (and if I sound a bit bitter here ... you're right!) After checking around I've found that only a couple of "mobility device" manufacturers make chairs and scooters that are designed to handle incement weather. Kinda makes me wonder what folks do who use chairs and scooters and live in areas where it's a lot worse than it is here.

Yea, Don. I know it'll pass, and hopefully I'll still have some sanity left by the time it dries up.

Dean

We need to find you one of those big plastic bubbles -- like the "boy in a bubble" for compromised immune systems -- a really BIG bubble that you can fit in scooter and all. Hmm, have to be an awfully tough bubble so the wheels don't pop it as it rolls on the sidewalk --and if the scooter gives off any heat ... ooops. Oh, darn, back to the drawing board. Sure don't want poor Gay walking behind, holding a golf umbrella over you.

Seriously, though, I do sympathize. Can't imagine why they don't make those scooters weatherproof. Hope the weather forecast is wrong and you get sunshine soon.

Gloria

Sorry Dean if we made you feel worse. I think we were just trying to goof around and make light of a bad situation for you. (all in good fun) Didn't mean any disrespect. I do understand what it's like being cooped up. I live in Minnesota and I am a ONE LUNGER, and the cold really does effect me. I stay close to home in the cool weather. But, I just make the best of a very bad sitution, and count my blessings that I woke up on the top of the dirt each day. Hope your spirits can be perked up with good weather. Stay strong and God Bless.

Hi Dean,

If the weather people out there are as good as they are here you may have more sun in the forecast than they predict.They are terrible at guessing here.I sure hope you don't get soaked in for a while.That drives me crazy with or without the mobilization problem.

I live near Columbus,Georgia and I noticed that the transit system there has a special bus to pick up scooters and chairs at their houses during inclement weather.I imagine you have checked into that but just thought I would mention it.Take care.TBone

Dean, I can't believe after all that waiting, you have to be cooped up by RAIN, now. Aaaargh!

I'm just a couple hours north, and a coworker called today to tell me she went into our office to do a little something today and discovered that the east wall of our building was leaking bigtime... All the boxes I had on the floor just under that wall of windows... soaked. Lots of important records in her office on the desk by the wall... soaked. A little dish she had on a shelf... full of water. Ugh.

Anyway, we can send spaceships to Mars -- You'd think we could engineer a scooter that can go in the rain!!! :roll: Hang in there...

BeckyCW

Hi Dean,

Well just like Rosanna Rosadanna used to say, “it’s always something!!”

Out here in the sun filled tropics we always get the same weather forecast. I feel sorry for the poor shmuck that has to write it for the paper. To see the creative writing masterpieces penned I offer you the forecast as printed in our local paper:

Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy, chance of a shower, moderate seas & surf 1-8 feet. Low 76.

Thursday: Times of clouds and sun with possible showers, moderate seas & surf 1-8 feet. High 88 – Low 76

Friday: Partly sunny with occasional showers, moderate seas & surf 3-6 feet. High 88 – Low 76

Saturday: Times of sunshine and cloudiness, breezy with an occasional passing shower, moderate seas & surf 3-6 feet. High 88 – Low 76.

Sunday: Partial sunshine and clouds, breezy with the chance of showers possible, moderate seas & surf 3-6 feet. High 88 – Low 76.

When I was still driving was able to control the weather. All I had to do was take the canvas top off the jeep and it would rain. Put it back on and bingo – sunshine. You may want to find someone who lives near you who shares my type of Karma and you can control the weather too. It may work with an obsessive car washer as well.

Keep the faith and God Bless,

Howard

Hi Dean – Me Again,

After reading my posting my dear wife Sammi suggested that I temper my poor attempt at humor with a little compassion and encouragement –

She said that I might have observed that after every rain there is a rainbow and that while the rain is limiting your freedom, that when it clears you have a new found freedom and mobility that you did not have before. I know this must be terribly frustrating for you but try and keep your eye out for the rainbows.

I guess that’s why we call them our better halves.

God Bless,

Howard

DeanCarl,

I know that it's a bummer to not be able to get out and about the way we want, especially after waiting so long for the arrival of the scooter. Don't blame you at all for succumbing to San Diego Style Cabin Fever.

Just think about how nice it's going to be when the sun comes out. All the dust will be gone, it will be easier to breathe, and everything will have been washed clean. Looking for sunny skies.....

Fay A.

• 4 years later...