Trying not to be discouraged....

Sabacat

Who brought up swollen feet? I woke up and both swollen enough I cant get my shoes on!

Time for my stockings. Happy Turkey day to all.

Peace

Tom

I haven't been able to get any yet, but am going to have to give in and do so, since mine are making shoes difficult.  I guess that'll be on my Black Friday shopping list 😁  BUT, first you have to get the swelling down in order to get them on, right?  

I wear my compression hose all of my waking time and I keep my feet elevated whenever I can and it prevents swelling. But then the problem that causes my swelling is differen t (lymphedema) . In the interest of truthfulness, I should admit that sometimes I lounge around the house for a couple of hours in the AM in my jammies without my hose, and put them on when I get dressed. Before my lymphedema was well controlled, I was more scrupulous about getting them on early. 

If you're thinking about getting some, here are a couple of suggestions. Get some latex-palmed garden gloves to help you put them on. If the first pair of  hose you get don't work, try a different brand. I wear Mediven (also called Medi). They are a bit expensive, but when  I've tried cheaper brands, they didn't work for me-- either didn't fit right, were uncomfortable, or didn't stay up.

Speaking of staying up, I wear a pair of mid-thigh "shapers" over mine to help them stay up all day. Otherwise I need to pull them up every couple of hours.

When I first had lymphedema, I couldn't get my shoes on and had to buy a pair of extra wide mary-janes and then have the strap lengthened. My wife has now inherited them to wear while she' s recovering from a broken foot.

This is probbably more than anybody wants to know, but if you DO  want anymore advice or recommendations about compression, I'm your person!

Bridget O

1 hour ago, Sabacat said:

I haven't been able to get any yet, but am going to have to give in and do so, since mine are making shoes difficult.  I guess that'll be on my Black Friday shopping list 😁  BUT, first you have to get the swelling down in order to get them on, right?  

No. Put them on while you are swollen.  I wear mine for two days and then take them off to check. So far after two days the swelling is gone.

Good luck

You might have to get a bigger size to get them on if you have a lot of swelling (but you don't want them too big--they need to fit firmly} As my swelling went down, I went down 2 sizes.  

Thanks, Bridget!  Lots of good information there.  I dread this, but not being able to get shoes on is not going to work if this lasts for two weeks or more. ☹️  I've had it off and on since diagnosis, but never THIS bad.  It probably is something like lymphedema - guessing the tumor or enlarged lymph nodes are preventing normal flow?  Something to ask the onc next time, I guess.  Also want to ask the radiation onc if radiating the two lymph nodes near the primary tumor will cause this to be permanent.  

UPDATE:  Met with the radiation oncologist yesterday.  He said that the outlying issues were being responsive to the triplet; it's just the primary tumor that is not.  He also said it was "easy" to target with radiation.   I *think* it is plain vanilla IGRT, but he's planning for 12 treatments and says that should kill 99.95% of the tumor  (because you can never say 100%).   Side effects are likely to be low to non-existent due to the location and lower intensity of radiation that will be used.  He is NOT going to try to target additional lymph nodes, which would be more difficult and potentially cause more long-term harm, although he said we could always go back later and get them if necessary.  So, all in all, a very positive meeting.  Had my planning/simulation session immediately afterward - treatments will start on Monday.   

Great news! When I was getting radiation, I would lie on the table and think about Superman zapping the tumors with his Xray vision. Positive visualization right? 

Archived