A great doc worth a dozen average ones.

TJM

Had my appointment with my pulmonologist today. Plan was to drain/sample the fluid in the lung cavity.  There wasn't enough to risk testing and she was confident it was not malignant.  She took time to show me how tricky it would be to get a needle in the right spot with my lung moving.

Then she took the time to give me a good look over and take a history. I basically told her the same thing I had told my primary and two oncologists and asked thoughtful question. She said my symptoms supported a blood clot in a lung and insisted I get additional testing. So I got and ultrasound of my right leg and (another) Cat scan with a better contrast to detect clots. She insisted I come see her before I leave...which I did.  She said on first look no clots but she would take the case to the tumor board on Thursday and call me right after.  She also said she agreed with the second oncologist that the mass in my lung was scar tissue.  The results of Friday's dotanate PET scan showed it was "Luke warm"...not definitive but very positive.

On the drive home she personally called me back to let me know the radiologist had found a clot in my LUL and that I needed to be put on blood thinners and she would put in the order for here in Longview. Self injected shots (not worried as I give my self shots all the time when I'm in the midst of a cluster headache cycle).

She was the first doctor I saw last year regarding the cancer. She is smart, thorough, caring and (not to be sexist) easy on the eye.  She did more for my mental state in this one visit than any other doctor to date. Wish she was my captain.

To sum it up, the blood clot explains all my symptoms and why I have gone backward. Blood thinners to prevent new clots and my body will take care of the existing one.  So, I should feel better as time goes on. Most likely the plan will be a CAT scan in three months to monitor what is hopefully scar tissue.

Good day overall. Wish she was my main doctor.

Peace

Tom

Aw, Tom, that is such GREAT news! LOL, sounds funny to congratulate someone on his blood clot, but desperate times, etc. :) I'm so glad things are looking good in terms of the cancer. I'm pretty sure inflammation can be responsible for mild SUV on PETs. And that would be consistent with your healing.

Hope you can now relax and enjoy the holidays--and that you get your snow. 

Good new Tom as everything is resolved. I had blood clot problem in my long and was put on Xarelto twice a day at first and then once a day. You should be on blood thinners for 6  months. All and all good news at the right time so congratulations and enjoy the holidays.

11 hours ago, TJM said:

of

Great news, Tom!!!  Not that a blood clot is usually cause for celebration 😉  Glad you have no problem with giving yourself shots - that’s something I would not be looking forward to.  Still remember the ones in the hospital after the stroke - nurse gave them in stomach but hinted that I’d have to learn to do it. Luckily, they decided aspirin was enough.  

36 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

I can't help but notice the similarity of our last names.... I wonder if she's related to Frankie Valli (AKA Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons). 

Stay the course.

Tom

I would ask her but I did a Charlie Foxtrot and miss spelled it. Dr Vanni....need to get one of my sons to marry a gal like her! Now that is funny!

LOL, my previous oncologist was named Callahan. Somehow I got it in my brain his name was Gallagher, and I can't tell you how many times I got that one wrong. Apparently I had no problem with "Shersher" or "Squillante"--my surgeon and my first oncologist--or "Bauml," my current oncologist. 

Brains is funny that way. :) 

Archived