An act of hope

LexieCat

COVID hit about five months before my Stage IV diagnosis happened. Before the lockdown, my favorite things in the world to do for fun were travel, concerts, and theater. And now that things are finally beginning to open up, I--like everyone else--have to think about health issues.

Yesterday I got an email that a band I really like is performing at a venue in Philadelphia, two days after my birthday in August. It's not a huge place--capacity is 3500. In an act of hope, I bought a ticket. The ticket wasn't terribly expensive and I sprang for the ticket insurance--just so I won't have to go to the trouble of trying to sell it if I can't go. If it's not smart to go then, I'll skip it. But if my health and public health conditions permit, it will be a nice way to celebrate my birthday. I figure by then I will know how my health and immunity look. 

But I'm PLANNING on being healthy enough to go--and enjoy it. :) 

Lexie,

Now that is evidence of a "sanguine" approach to your treatment and outcomes. Buy another concert ticket, perhaps in Red Rock, Colorado for the late summer. Make a plan; execute the plan.

Stay the course.

Tom

I'm saving the air travel to CO for Christmastime. My ex (where I stay when I go) lives about 10 minutes from Red Rocks (my son had his HS graduation there). In all the years I lived in CO, I never went to a concert there.

I did just discover, looking in my long-neglected LiveNation app, that I have tickets for two other shows that were rescheduled from last year--one on August 26 and the other on September 27. I got refunds for most of the events for which I'd purchased tickets last year, but apparently these two were exceptions. WTH, I already paid the money, I'll keep the tickets and see how things go.

Great idea! I'm talking with my wife about a trip to the old country (Scotland). My Birthday is also in August but when I looked up travel it's still pretty dicey. I'll keep dreaming.

Enjoy the concert. I'm sure you will be there.

Peace

Tom

I've got some Scottish ancestry, myself. I've never been to the UK or Ireland, but when international travel is possible again, that's one region I'd love to visit. 

My daughter is very attached to her Norwegian heritage, and that's another place I'd like to go (with her--though she seems to think I should foot the bill for her just because, well, I'm moneybags and she has to spend HERS on stuff like her makeup collection). 

You go Lexie.  It's time for us to "come out of the caves" and back into the light.  Your statement of Hope is obvious and one I share.  Can't wait to hear how the concert was when you get back from it (Yes, I know you said August.  I'm just putting in DIBS for your concert review early).

Lou

I just bought a ticket for Modest Mouse--saw them a couple years ago and I have several albums.

The ones rescheduled from last year are Alanis Morissette and Clannad. Never seen either of them live, and it's Clannad's farewell tour.

LOL, I have pretty eclectic taste in music. Not wild about country music and I didn't used to like rap, but I've come to enjoy some of that--just not the super violent or misogynistic type.

I'm still not ready to venture out, and I miss travel a lot! I'm actually thinking that even if/when things open all the way up, I may not go back to it the way I used to.  But I do have some places I want to go, like Egypt and to Edinburgh for the Tattoo (it was cancelled again this year but on for 2022 - see you there @TJM!)

My first step will be a dentist appointment. 😀

I've done something else outrageous. Since I'll be stuck in the hospital for two weeks with nothing to do but read and watch TV (to the extent I feel well enough to do  those things), I decided to buy myself a Nintendo Switch and a few video games. I have a call with my son scheduled for tomorrow morning to help me with some tips, though I managed to get it set up and working. It's ironic, because I always joke that when the kiddos' dad and I divorced, the only thing we argued about was the Nintendo--he wanted me to take it and I wanted him to take it. The midi music on those things always drove me nuts. So of course I had to get a couple of the games I remember playing with the kiddos, as well as a couple of nice, calm games like Animal Crossing.

Just another little bit of self-care. :)  

The good news Lexie is that if you have a particularly difficult day then playing some of these games will make you frustrated enough (at least it does for me) to consider the other things as not as bad.  :)

Seriously, great idea...I believe that our minds do a lot to affect how our bodies react to everything and that a healthy attitude increases all good things within us.

Lou

Archived