My grandmother passed

Hello All, thanks to everyone who responded to my previous posts concerning my grandmother. She passed away Monday, March 15 at 5:30 p.m.

My grandmother had adenocarcinoma with brain mets. She had been living in a nursing home for about 7 weeks when she fell and broke her hip. Following her surgery on Mar. 10 for her fractured hip (which she tolerated very well), she developed a blood clot in her lung. Blood thinners successfully dissolved the clot, but her blood then thinned too much. Her doctor said he believed the cancer was in her liver, causing her to metabolize the cumadin too quickly. They then got her blood counts back where they should be. Following all that, she took a seriously downward turn. She had about 4 and a half days of extreme restlessness and agitation and discomfort. Her breathing was so poor that she needed pure oxygen through a mask 24 hours a day. She was retaining tons of fluid. She wasn't eating. They started her on a morphine drip to improve her comfort levels and breathing. She became unresponsive (not from the morphine) around 6:00 p.m. Sunday, March 14. She had the purple mottling on her legs. Her doctor told us she would not live through the night. She did and held on until 5:30 p.m. Monday, March 15. What an unbelievably courageous woman. She had so many people who loved her and I was so close to her, I feel like I've lost a parent.

Some things I am thankful for: She was able to be in a private room in the hospital (not that dreaded nursing home) and the nurses all took exceptional care of her and us too, even bringing in 3 beds so we all could spend the night with her Sunday night; My mom and granddad and I all got to tell her it was okay to go to Heaven and to tell her goodbye and that we loved her while she was fully coherent and could understand; I was able to go home Monday morning and pick up my 3-year old son who she adored beyond belief and bring him to the hospital so he could hold his "Meemom's" hand before she passed; and she was not alone when she went. This was a huge worry for all of us since we all live far away from my grandparents and my grandfather really did not want to be alone at the time of her passing.

Big hugs are going out to everyone on this board. Thanks for all of your support and prayers.

-Dee

Dee,

I am so sorry you have lost your grandmother but very glad that the circumstances for all involved (private room, being there, etc.) worked out so well and even the great-grandboy got to say goodbye.

May your journey through grief be brief and punctuated with smiles and sunshine!

Becky

Dee-

I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved grandmother. She was lucky to have you and you were fortunate to have had her for as long as you did. May she rest in peace and be painfree and may your memories sustain your love.

Your condolences mean so much. I am just in awe at the support that people here offer even to the non-regulars like me. What an amazing group. Thanks again. I do plan on lurking here for a while -- I'm pretty addicted. I'm sending big hugs and prayers everyone's way.

-Dee

Dee, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dear grandmother had a wonderful sendoff, though. Being surrounded by those that love you most, it is a wonderful thing. I hope that you find comfort in that, in days to come, and I hope that the memories that you have of her serve as a comfort to you, in time. Please take care, and stay on here, if you can or are up to it. take care, deb