Scans? What scans?

Nushka

I hate to bring this up again but I am trying hard to make an informed decision about scans. I was dx'd in Feb 03, had surgery, chemo and radiation. Then in Oct 03 they ordered CT of the chest, Pet and MRI of the brain. All were clear. Then in Jan 04, they did a chest film that was also clear. Now, this month they want to do another CT of the chest. I felt like I needed the PET and MRI to go along with it and so did my reg doctor...but the oncologist says no....doesn't want to explose me to that much radiation for something that is not called for.

My question is...what now...do I do what the oncologist says? Get a new doc? Have the tests run on my own? or is the CT of the chest all I need at this time?

Hate to ask so many questions but I confused.

Nina,

aka Nushka

My dad asked the oncologist that question in March (my mom was diagnosed in Nov). My dad wanted a PET, but oncologist said Chest CT scan was enough..........Onco said that he based his judgment on blood levels/tumor markers and her CEA kept dropping, so there was no need for PET. If her CEA and other markes (i totally forget their names) changed or went up, then he would have PETed her.

Hi I had a lobectomy in June of 2000----and after I just had cat scans---however, if something funny showed up (which several times it did), I then had a pet scan ---which actually muddied the results somewhat (both showed different things) So for awhile I was getting cat scans every three months (just to watch)

I have not had an MRI or bone scan since my initial diagnosis. So I guess what you are getting is normal.

Regards

I still get CTs of the chest, ab, and pelvis.

I also get an MRI of the head and neck, because my pancoast tumor grew almost up to my ear, and that's the most likely place for mets.

Don't get pets(never) or bone scans (just at dx).

Now getting scans (with contrast) every six months...

XOXOX

MaryAnn

I think you are on the right follow-up protocol. PET is a big, time-consuming, expensive test and I think that's only used when trying to make a determination about a suspicious nodule (that was what happened in my case, but after chest x-ray and CT), or if indicated after a suspicious x-ray, CT, or complaint of severe pain.

I have a chest CT every six months and chest x-rays fill in the three month intervals between.

I had a bone scan and CT of head to pelvis prior to going to MD Anderson for a closer look at other areas, but nothing that extensive since.

I'm okay with the schedule I'm on, it was an x-ray that caught the darn thing in the first place, CT just focused the "cloud" a little more.

SOOOOO looking forward to being five years out and getting annual testing! 8)

I want to thank all of you so much for the responses. I feel much better now and will do as my doctor says....have the CT. I will have it on April 19 and get the results on April 21. If you have room for me in your thoughts I would appreciate it as I am already very nervous about this whole thing. I too look forward to the once a year scans....again thank you. :lol:

Nina

aka Nushka