Demolition, my favorite thing to do....

Fay A.

The remodel that was suppose to have a start date of mid June has been moved up just a wee bit...to MAY 24th!!!!!!! Aaaaack!!!!!!!!!!! All the pre- demolition work that I thought I had another 3 weeks to complete has to be done in the next 4 days. So, if any of you have any (legal- :wink: )suggestions on how a one-lunger can come up with just a little bit more energy in the course of what is becoming 16 plus hour days I am all ears.

I haven't forgotten any of you when I say my prayers.

First phase is the roof and attic, the siding, insulation, and exterior walls, the front porch, the garage interior and the garage door, the driveway, all exterior doors, all windows, and the front yard landscaping. Once the exterior is complete the interior work starts.

I wish I could have Extreme Home Makeover come in and do it all in 7 days while sending me to someplace fun and relaxing. You know, I lived almost my entire life in either very bad military housing or rental units that didn't allow me to put too many pictures on the walls, or have walls any color except white (unless you count the houses where there was black, pink, and orange mold growing everywhere). So during the years I took classes, or hung out with trades people and learned how to do things like lay tile, lay brickwork, make stained glass windows and inserts, fine finish carpentry, painting minatures and murals, hang wallpaper, put up sheetrock, landscape and gardening, concrete work. I planned on being able to do my "own" home exactly the way I wanted it. So we buy this house and 6 months later my husband retires from the military. Six months after that I am diagnosed with cancer.....

So not only can I not do most of the work myself (dust, chemical fumes, lead, and physical limitations), but I can't really be here while a large part of the work is being done by someone else. So, I'm going to end up with a generic kind of house because I can choose designs and materials only from what is available from the contractor and within the budget. When you do the work yourself you can spend the money you have on good materials. When you contract out you have to divide the monies between materials and labor and the 25% of the materials and labor cost total for supervision and overhead, and permits.

It's just ironic that after all those years of trying to make a home in some incredibly BAD places, and dreaming about a house of my own where I could do things that didn't require conforming to someone else's rules and regulations, taking all those classes and learning how to do all those things, I am not being able to use what I know.

Okay...I'm grateful to have a house at all. Lot's of folks who are in the miltary can never put aside enough money to make the down payment. Sorry....this pity party (because that's what it turned in to) is over. This place is going to be done over, then sold, because I'm having trouble with the stairs and steps. But I am still just a little saddened by the way things have turned out.

Fay,

It's okay to be disappointed at the death of a dream. Irony aside, it was a dream to be able to "DO" your own house... I totally empathize with you on the military housing, the substandard off-base housing when stationed away from CONUS... I understand it - and not being able to purchase some awesome deals on furniture by local artisans/craftsmen because of a weight limit when returning stateside...

I wish you COULD finish the house the way you had in mind, BUT, here's a bright side... If you can't handle the stairs and the steps and have to move because of that, I'm GLAD you aren't leaving a piece of your heart and soul behind when you go. Were you to have done EVERYTHING you wanted to and then had to leave, THAT would have broke your heart...

Take care, Fay! Looking forward to sending a "Big 5-Oh" card to you!

xxoo,

Becky

No...I always liked leaving every place I ever lived in better condition or somehow nicer than what it was when I arrived. I can honestly say that I did that in every place I lived. And you're correct...it is the "death of a dream" that gets to me. I'm dealing with a lot of those these days.

Fay...

What can I say? Just hope your work gets done quickly and with the least amount of stress possible. Why not do mini-projects in your new place... ya know, 10 mini-projects can give just as much satisfaction as 1 "dream house". Who knows, little by little, you can use all that stuff you learned. I for one leave the hard labor up to my husband. Ill just tell him how to do it!

Jamie

Fay,

I understand the market for plastique explosives is a bit on the high side right now but there's still the good ol' fertilizer mixed with gasoline route. :) One big BOOOM and the demolition is done! You can get the recipie from any respectable anarcist web site. :)

Child labor sounds like a good idea. I mean, what's the use of having dwarves around if you can't put them to work? :)

Hiring a demoliton crew can be a bit expensive, though I understand Vorgon inc. has a cut rate deal on right now. Not only will they demolish your house, but, as an added bonus, take out your neighborhood, city, state, country and even the Earth. All for one low price. :)

Seriously, whatever happens I hope it goes quickly and smoothly.

Dean

Fay,

Jack and I just got this home- my dream home, then I was diagnosed a year and half later. May I join the pitty party? There is always the fear of losing it. I am working, but I pray I can keep this demon at bay to continue living her. Jack was layed off then had his heart attack. He only works here and there doing radio sportsbroadcasting. We can manage fine on my salary, just pray I can continue working. The good news is...my husband has time to do all of those home improvements now. He put in wood floors, a pipe fence, and painted the interior! I keep reminding him he had a heart attack but he ignores me.

You asked for suggestions on your demolition work- I have a husband you can borrow. Jack is one demolition man!!! One day I was going to class during college, and I saw him in a hard hat directing all of these huge dump trucks. He put in a bid to demolish a burned out dwelling. He had no capital- I mean nada!!! He paid them all with the money he charged to tear it down with. He cleared a couple a grand on the job. I had no idea he did this, truth be told, neither did he!ha!. He only got the job that morning. He has never done this type of work again either.!Ha He truely is a Jack of all trades.

Anyway, Good Luck.

Cheryl

Fay,

Just hope you get the work done and get out of the dust.

In 1999, we started to remodel the house we were living in,

my husband wanted to have all wooden walls, but could not

drive a nail straight, so I did the work, while waiting for cancer

treatments for myself. The house was all done in 2002, including

2 ceilings in diamond points, it was beautiful, Mike got lung cancer

and the house had to be sold we were 200 miles from where he

was getting his treatments, I always drove (he never did) and it

was getting too much, the house sold itself, never advertized it

or said it was for sale.

My husband was more depressed by losing our dream house with

all the work we had done, than getting cancer.

He was very good at demolition, and also very handy to carry all

the wood, and what I liked the most he always did the clean up after.

So you are lucky that you did not do all the work you wanted before

you had to move it would have really be the death of a dream.

Now you can do some easy projects and mostly decorate and don't

forget all the poultry actifact you have to put up.

Good luck

J.C.

First phase is the roof and attic, the siding, insulation, and exterior walls, the front porch, the garage interior and the garage door, the driveway, all exterior doors, all windows, and the front yard landscaping. Once the exterior is complete the interior work starts.

Ummm...maybe you should just say what you AREN'T demolishing, Fay. :wink: (Is the kitchen sink safe?)

Oh Fay-I totaly understand the 'death of a dream'. We bought this house 7 years ago, I was diagnosed 3 yr. ago. I loved the size of the yard-all the flower garden area, now I can hardly dig a hole for a plant! The house is a tri-level with a full basement. I have trouble with all the steps but so far I can do them. I always wanted to build onto the back of the house, another bedroom, master bath and enlarge the kitchen. That way when I got to old for the steps we would have everything on one level. The rest of the house could be used for when the grandkids come to visit. Now none of that will happen. Man that is depressing! Time for reality check!! I am still here after 3 yrs. so not all is bad

:)

Cindy,

I've started growing my favorite plants in huge pots. It takes many small bags of potting soil to fill up one of these puppies, but by using the small bags I can do the work myself without having to rely on anyone else! :wink: I'm growing a fushia colored bouganvilla with pale yellow nasturtiums, small yellow pear tomatoes with orange marigolds, mandarin oranges with purple and yellow pansies, elephant garlic with Bells of Ireland, cucumbers on a trellis in a pot with blue lobelia. Willow with orange nasturtiums. (Willow is in a half barrel, with yellow jonquils and blue grape hyacinths that bloom in early spring.)

My house is also a Tri Level, but there is no basement. The garage is on the lowest level, then the house proper is a two story.

I came home from grocery shopping and discovered that the contractor had been here while I was gone. He set up his scaffolding on the front of the house. My plans to relocate plants to the back of house were thwarted by this eager to get started group! I'm just a little bit put out over this.

Just have to deal with it....

Thanks to you all for understanding. And thanks for the humor, Dean. I can honestly say I considered "blasting" on a daily basis for the past 6 years! :)

Oh, Fay! You sound like you are back to your sweet and cantankerous self! (Were we candy, you would be a SweeTart and I would be a ShockTart...or we'd both be a nut-filled Pay Day...or Almond Joy/Mounds cuz sometimes you feel like a nut - sometimes you don't!)

Gardening is on hold for me. Where I WILL be next year is under water...not completely, just thoroughly....and it's beginning to smell...and it doesn't look to quit raining any time soon - it just kinda slows down, drains a bit and then starts right back up. Great for rice, bad for flowers... :roll:

YOUR flowery stuff sounds beautiful...I'm getting annoyed 'cuz the irises I planted here three years ago that have NEVER bloomed will bloom this year - they have flower heads coming up...and I probably won't BE HERE (I'm diggin' them suckers up and taking 'em with me...but don't tell my spouse, real estate agent OR the prospective buyer...shhhhhhh) I'll leave the tulips, the crocus, the daffodils and all the other bulbs, but I think the irises are coming with me....yeah, I think so... (Thanks for helping me work that out, Fay! hehehe)

Sorry ya didn't get those plants moved, but VERY MUCH GLAD they're getting that job going soon...(and if I can get Ty Pennington and his "Extreme Makeover - Home crew" to your house, can I come visit???Please, please, please???)

Take care, keep truckin'....and hang in there! Little peeves like a scaffold in your garden sometimes make the other peeves seem small, too...sometimes...not always...but SOMETIMES... When you can go to bed muttering about work boots tiptoeing through your tulips instead of a screwed up scan, snoozing comes easier...especially when plotting the revenge of planting poison ivy on their scaffold... :wink:

xxoo,

Becky