For Espy

Elaine

I just read on another thread that Espy's father lost his battle.

Espy (Joyce) has offered so many prayers and well wishes for so many of us. I wish I could offer more than that to her now. I hope that she finds comfort in beautiful memories of her father on this Father's Day and on every day.

elaine

Thank you all so very much for your thoughtful notes. You are all so very kind and caring! I have been without internet access for the past week. My 3 sisters, mother, other relatives and I spent some time at our family cottage, my father's favorite place, on the St. Croix River in New Brunswick. My father's burial was in Calais, Maine, his hometown, which is just across the border from our cottage.

My father fought a hard battle for a year and a half. Things didn't turn out quite the way we'd hoped. Though I miss him very much, I can honestly say I am relieved. Watching him deteriorate so rapidly during his last week was the most painful thing I have ever been though in my entire life. I feel honored that he trusted us to care for him during that time and, although it was very difficult in many ways, I also feel very rewarded. He is at peace now - he doesn't have to fight any more, and I am thankful for that.

Thank you all so much again for your thoughfulness.