Clipped by Snowflake's Random Beer Truck

Ry

There is a point to this story (really) that relates to cancer and caregiving. You will recall I am the one that always posts that no one should go to chemo alone, you could have an allergic reaction, and someone should be with you..yada yada yada.

You will remember that last March I ended up in the hospital with endocarditis from having my teeth cleaned. So now it is time for my 6 month cleaning and the infectious disease guy says I should have IV antibiotics prior to going to the dentist. So Tuesday I go in for the IV at the infusion center, alone. What happens? I have a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotic, scare the hell out of the nurses and myself, get rushed over to the emergency room and of course miss the dental appointment. So the point being....you should have someone with you during appointments. Looking back, if I had had someone with me they would have probably picked up on the reaction before I did. It also would have been nice to have someone giving all the infomation to the ER and acting as an advocate, what an experience. So I am still a little loopy, having some dizziness etc. and earned a day off work, so if my posts seem whacky I have a good excuse.

Also, to my surprise it took awhile into this antibiotic for the reaction to start. I had almost finished most of the bag before I started to get itchy and feel a pressure in my chest. So don't assume once you started a medication and its been awhile that you will tolerate it well.

Ry,

What a scary experience. Glad you are feeling better though. I always have someone with me even if it is a simple ct scan. You just never know. My husband always makes sure I'm not alone. Thank goodness!

Take care and maybe your teeth are clean enough! :wink:

TAnn

Ry,So sorry to hear this.You are not allowed to get sick,have allergic reactions,sneeze,cough,catch a cold,or any of that stuff.You are very much relied on here by everyone.John will have to keep a closer eye on you from now on.Hope you are doing much better now and don't have to go thru all that again to get teeth cleaning done.No more beer trucks for you,from now on every where you go John must go.(grocery store,hairdressers,drs,dentists,even the bathroom,etc,etc.)

Geesh, for a minute there I thought maybe I had cut you off in traffic or something! :roll:

Glad you are home and "enjoying" (heheheh) a day off - maybe you should try applying for vacation time instead of "earning" days off through the ER!

Ah yes, trips to the hospital have become a "family affair" - may as well pack a lunch...

Now, STOP THAT! Geesh! I'm with Frank...you're being fined for - hmmm, well, for LOTS of things!

Good you're back!

OMG Ry!!! That's awful and I know how scary that is. It sounds just like what happened to hubby with the Taxotere, but they have bags of benadryl ready to slap in the IV in case someone has a reaction. He turned red, tight chest, rash, almost passed out. I'm so glad you are ok. And you're right about having somebody there because he was so quickly going out that if I hadn't been there to yell for help, who knows what would have happened. I'm just curious - what was the name of the antibiotic? Only curious because I'm allergic to Septra, and I guess it's not uncommon to have allergies to sulfa-based drugs, although I can take Z-Pack just fine.

Glad you're ok.

Love,

Peggy

Ry...........I say let your teeth fall out!!!!!!!! :lol::lol: (and remember I am a dental hygienist!!!!) Good grief, the things that you will do to get a day off of work and a day off from being "hall monitor" around here. :lol: I do believe that you are going to be fined heavily by Frank.

Seriously, that sounds terribly scary!! I hope you are feeling better real soon.

Angie

Wow - now I know to what you were referring in that earlier PM. My goodness, woman, I can't believe your bad luck! I guess THAT'LL teach you to impose such large fines on people. Can you say "payback"? :lol:

Take care - and next time, get the tag number on that beer truck.

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

Ry, please don't go to the dentist anymore...we love you and would gladly overlook your teeth as they rot; decay and dissolve-you are our touchstone-our keeper of the phone numbers-we need you and your great sense of humor, not to mention your ability to make anyone squirm who dares not request a hall pass...now, if we had, say, scratch and sniff computer screens, or smellovision, I'd say its worth giving the dentist another try.... :lol:

Seriously. Please take care of yourself, we love you, and your teeth look great from here :wink: . Deb

Ry, just glad you're OK now. Yes, you learned your own lesson, didn't you?

I'm a real stickler for not letting anyone go anywhere near a hospital or oncologist clinic without an advocate, and an advocate who's hearing is still good (which is a big reason why I try to go with my Dad to all of my mom's colon cancer appts., treatments, surgeries, hospital stays, tests).

Take care,

Karen.

Ry,

I totally agree with you. Everyone should have someone with them during chemo. I am lucky enough to have my life partner she goes with me every tuesday and has since all of this started she also goes with me to all of my doctors appointments. I too had an allergic reation a few weeks ago to the carboplatin (I had been taking it this whole time and was 10 minutes from being done with the iv (it is cumulative, over time it built up in my system and I developed an allergy to it, imagine after 6 mos.). Anyway I don't know what I would have done if I had been alone.

Carrie

Peggy, the drug is called Vancomycin.

David, dentists are evil, but my hygenist is a sweetie and I really go to talk to her as much as I do to get my teeth cleaned.

Angie: Frank does not have fining power!

Carrie, I was also amazed that it took so long to react. Thought I was imagining it at first but there was no mistaking that lovely blue color!

Jen, it's funny both the infectious guy and my GP said once a year is plenty. I am thinking maybe every 8 months. I told them they had to come up with a new plan that did not involve IV's because I'm sure I'm banned from the infusion center. :roll:

Well Beck...we talk in the hall on the way to the room, we talk while she is getting out the tools etc. then she talks to me while she has her hands in my mouth and I grunt back. When its time to rinse and her hands are out I comment on whatever story she's been telling me. Then we talk while we wait for the dentist to come in and check. I could talk if my jaws were wired shut. :lol: