Let me off this roller coaster- Joe Help too!

-Cheryl-

Hey Folks,

I just got back from getting blood work. As most of you kow, I am on a trial CT2103 (or better known as carboplatin/paclitaxol.) The doctor wants me back on Tuesday for more blood work. He wants to check my liver function which is elevated to AST(GOTH 144.0 and ALT(GPTH 208.0. I aso had another aranesp shot due to low WBC and platelets. The doctor said it could be the chemo. or it could be cancer! Cancer in my Liver is all I could think off. I am a worry wart as it is. I will obssess about this till it is resolved!!! Please my friends give, me your consenus on this. What do you think? Could this be from chemo effects, or cancer mets to the liver. I had a CT 2 weeks ago and nothing was there. Could mets evade my liver while on chemo when my kidney mets have shrunk. I want off this roller coaster!!! God I think not knowing may be better, I get less depressed. Please talk some rational sense into me.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Your liver function could be down due to your body's reaction to the chemo. There are diseases (like mono) that can affect the liver function. You are on a trial, you are a guinea pig. If you begin to grow a second head, panic (unless you have use for a second head - third arm may be better). You are taking a drug to fight a very personal disease. Everyone's cancer is different because everyone's cancer is their own body cells grown crazy. Response to drugs is not the same in everyone...

Here's hoping that liver function is just a temporary due to medication and/or stress!

Hang in there,

Becky

PS ...and BREATHE!

Cheryl

All I know is that elevation in liver tests often show things happening outside of the liver, so it could very well be chemo-related. I am sure since you are in a trial that they are checking you extra carefully. I will keep you in my thoughts.

love and fortitude

elaine

Cheryl,

I agree with Snowflake, it is probably the effects of chemo on your body. Don't forget that the toxins in your body are filtered by the liver and this could cause the liver function to be elevated. I know that while I was on chemo, they always checked the liver function along with the blood sugars. I'm not totally sure about this, but don't spend alot of time worrying about it.

I'm going tomorrow for a brain MRI because of headaches that I've been having. I could be going crazy with worry, but chose not to because my new philosophy is that worrying just wastes my energy that I need to keep me going. I'll worry when I know FOR SURE what's going on, until then, I'll just keep thinking it's hormones, and for you, I'll keep thinking it's the chemo doing it's job!

TAnn

Cheryl,

Medications (translation-chemo) can cause an elevation in liver enzymes. That's why they are monitored so carefully during treatment. Go with the most logical explanation until you are shown otherwise.

To me, that explanation is the chemo--experimental, trial type doses. That's why they're doing a trial--to see what develops with these regimens.

Good luck--try to keep a positive thought about this. I wish you the best.

Cindy

Cheryl,

My liver enzymes are elevated, and I don't have cancer in my liver. We're all really sure about that one, too. Medications can cause elevated liver panels, infection, reactions to foods, herbs and supplements can do this, too. Please don't get all stressed out over this until you KNOW why this is happening. All fo those stress hormones are not good for you either.

(((((Cheryl)))))

My last 3 CT have showed small spots on my liver. A biopsy confirmed they were cysts and not mets. Last visit to oncologist he mentioned small cysts on kidneys.

While in hosp last weekend, I was in a different hosp and totaly different doctors. My symptoms pointed to cancer. I was checked over and over and doctor told me there was no cancer.

My point here is this...I just knew I had Mets somewhere. I worried for nothing. I was admitted at 10pm and did not close my eyes till about 8 the next morn.

Don't do this to yourself Cheryl. Don't borrow trouble. When you get the results of your test, post them here and then if you need to worry we will worry with you.

Cheryl, if you had a CT 2 weeks ago showing a clean liver, the likelihood that these enzymes are up due to cancer is about zero. Most chemotherapy drugs (including paclitaxel) are metabolized by the liver and it is very common to see enzyme elevations like this. Rarely means anything although it does need to be watched. Liver metastases usually don't cause elevation of the enzymes you are looking at unless they are quite extensive. Thats why they are so sneaky, often doesn't show up in the bloodwork.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your expertise. To all of you, thanks for responding. I hate how obsessed I become about the details of treatment. It has become a new found avocation. I wish I could do anything half-assed (pardon my french.) I am obsessive-compulsive about somethings. I hate that about myself. It can be both a blesssing and a curse. It is forever a battle, to let things so. It doesn't bode well with my "Type A" personality, Ha! I have on the contrary, made great strides in improvement in this area, as you can see, much work is needed still. you guys are so informative though. Fay A., you should have gone to med school yourself! TAnne, how did the brain scan go today. That is by far the most stressful test. I think most will agree here to that. Frankly, I would rather have a root canal. Just thinking about you. Love to you all,

Cheryl :lol:

Cheryl,

I hope everyone's messages have helped calm the worry-monster in you -- and it's really great that Dr. Joe could help! My husband is the worry-monster in our family, but cancer brings that out in ANYone. Like they said, it's a shame to borrow trouble from tomorrow that may never happen... but what're ya gonna do? Hang in there, my friend. You're always in my prayers,

BeckyCW

Cheryl,

Thanks for asking about the brain MRI. It went well. I'm not clostraphobic, so it didn't bother me, the worst part is the ear plugs. They aren't too comfortable. AND my appointment was early in the morning, so I was very sleepy. Just laid there and relaxed, pretended I was on a LOUD boat with LOUD music and a good "beat"! HA! (you have to make the best of it!)

Don't worry, you will do just fine and hoping for good results on your blood test on Tuesday.

TAnn

If it helps any my enzymes, AST,ALT are also, up and down. I do have a known problem with my liver that I choose to ignore years ago.

I have no cancer in my liver, we are sure of that, and my Onc tells me that the chemo won’t affect the enzyme levels. I am inclined to believe that the chemo does, just from watching my blood work and all that I have read. My levels have been around 125 for over 20 years and at the onset of chemo they have jumped as high as 350, and seem to drop below 200 the further out from chemo I get.

Good luck in your fight

Bo