thoracentesis time

cindi o'h

so, Just got back from the oncologist. He took a look at the films and wants me to see the thoracic surgeon for a videoassisted thoracentesis...Now I making up this word...he told me that he would drain the effusion from my lung and put a camera in there and take a look around.... then they will put the fluid under the scope to see if there are any cancer cells in there...if there are, then we go back to chemo again in the same week... it's all or nothin' for me. Well, it has been a long time since I completed radiation....way over a year, but the onc. said the effusions and lymphadenopathy could still be a result of that....(yeah right) Well, at any rate, we don't know until we know, right?

So glad I can vent...Thank you,

Cindi

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement and especially prayers...

My onco was pretty unspecific when I went to see him and the most somber I have seen him yet. Dangit.

I am scheduled to meet with the surgeon on Tuesday. My onco suggested that it would be a procedure that could be done in and out right there in the clinic. But the surgeon's nurse left a message saying that it would be scheduled in the O.R.

I think it is going to be a VATS procedure, so a little more than what the onco led me to believe.

I guess the anwser is that I don't know when it will be scheduled yet. Soon, I hope. I have got so much on my plate right now that this is just bad timing!!

I am still quite brave. I am convinced that the cancer has done the multiplying thing that it is so known for. But, I am ready for whatever treatments that I need to do to keep kickin' for awhile longer. I'm usually pretty tough. I lost my rootin' crowd (siblings) at last round and they really helped a lot. But I have been abandoned by them. (It was too much/ inconvenient for them). Now that I don't have them anymore, I really need to gather up some more people to holler from the stands. EVERYBODY needs a cheering crowd whether they know it or not...

I will let you know when all of this happens...

Cindi

Cindi,

I have never had a VATS, but have had 4 thorencenthesis (sp?). They are no fun, but are over pretty quick. If you are going into the operating room for yours, you will probably get a "good" sedative and THAT is a GOOD thing. I am hoping and praying that all comes out well, and will pray for your continued strength. Please keep us posted.

TAnn

Cindi,

I had both a pericardial effusion and plueral effusions. They were about a year and half after original diagnosis. I just became short winded and very tired easily. I went in to see my onc and had a CT just before the visit. He had me check into the hospital immediately. The next morning I had surgery. The fluid was tested and a week later, I discovered it was not malignant, and yours may not be as well. The cause? Probably cancer blocking the drainage. I was told to start chemo. I was scheduled for it, but said "no, I won't go through it again if it only buys me a little more time." I took it upon myself to seek out other options, I narrowed it down to two choices of trials. After meeting with the infamous Dr. Neumanatis, who was doing GVAX, I choice a trial he was conducting. I was not eligible for the GVAX tial, but another with promising results. I am praying it works. I am doing a rial called CT2103. If succesful, I will do 20 weks total for two rounds. The I will probably do a vaccine made with other's cancers instead of GVAX. WORD OF ADVICE, HAVE THEM USE THE FLUID FOR A GVAX VACCINE TREATMENT IF IT IS CANCEROUS!!! DON'T JUST THROW IT AWAY. DISCUSS THIS WITH YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU HAVE SURGERY!!! GVAX vaccines are only made with efussionsand esaily assessble tumors do to the risks. One person was killed getting a tumor from within the lung, so they won't risk lives with surgery. Isn'that interesting. Like I said, I'd rather die trying to live.

My cheering section seems less enthusiastic too. They are dealing with their own lives. This board has been a big support to me. They are like a surrogate family. May we be there for you as well.

Cheryl

Sorry to hear about needing a procedure but pleural effusions can definitely be caused by things other than cancer. Hopefully that will turn out to be the case for you.

I'm interested in the idea of tissue banking for GVAX. Has anyone actually had this done? If so, I'd love to hear about how you went about doing it. I've not seen a GVAX update in a couple years, I know initially they were doing it in San Antonio but sounds like they are doing it at Baylor now as well. Going to a lung cancer update at University of Chicago in a couple weeks so hopefully they'll have more on it then.

If anyone knows about tissue banking for GVAX, please post the info or pm me. Thanks!

Hi Cindi,

I aagree with cherl, ask them to keep all the fluid! My husband had thorocentis outpatient and was told it was not maglinant. He then had bronocopy done and was told everthing not maglinant but suspious. Then had VATS and fluid WAS maglinant. VERy confusing how twice it was negative but # 3 was postive.All of these procdures where within a 3 week time period. We are looking into the GVAX as well. My husband has an appointment on oct 18th with Dr. Nemunitis. I asked his onc of all the trails going on now which ones did he think were the most promising and he said the vaccine.

For the VATS my husband was under anathesisa(SP?). Good Luck. you are in my prayers.

Cathy W

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I don't know how I missed all of these posts on the good advice regarding the GVAX. That is something that I had not heard of before. I will definitely keep my ears and eyes and most importantly mouth in gear for this.

I have been having troubles. The surgeon is unwilling to do the VATS due to the Plavix, ( my heart med) and recent stent placement. And also the thoracentesis is out for the same reason. So, I have to wait until the 18th for my next CT to check any changes.

I see the cardiologist in the morning to see if all of my SOB is originating in the pericardial effusion or what. I get shuffled from one doctor to the next and nurse to the next and it is all so difficult to put it all together. But, I have an above average understanding of the lingo and methods so in many ways that helps but I also find that it has it's disadvantages as well.

All in all, I am handling all of this pretty well. I have a support group here in town that I really like a lot. I am the only lc person in it. And it is just made up of pretty sick and wonderful people with all kinds of illnesses. So that helps. And I am pretty sure this board is helping my nerves too.

I went to my old boss' retirement party and got lots of good squeezes there. You can't have too many of those.

Thanks for all of your encouragement and words of advice. I will try to keep you posted on my progress. I don't think that the cancer is back, though. I "feel" like the lung effusion is resolving on its own...The CT will give me a better idea.

Cindi

Cindi,

I think it was May when I went to ER for abdominal pain 'etiology unknown'. They did a x-ray and CT scan - showed pleural effusion in lower left lung. Tumor is in upper right lung. Later my radiation onc said it was normal following rad. therapy - which ended in late February.

I've had other tests since but no report of effusion.

I wish you the best. I think I will spend my weekend praying and working on other healing stuff.

%&

Artist formerly known as Cat :wink: