New to LCSC

mercer

Hello,

Just found out about LCSC the other day so I thought I would stop in and say hello.I am a 50 year old male, diagnosed 10/29/04 with extensive stage,SCLC, both lungs with both right and left paratracheal and mediatinal node involvement, with superior vena cava syndrome (SVCS). The primary tumor site was on my left lung but the cancer quickly spread to my adjoining lymphatic system, then on to my right lung.

Thankfully so far the cncer is all centrally located in my chest with no distant mets, like liver, bone, brain, etc, etc..so in that regard I am lucky.

I am currently undergoing chemotherapy a combination of carboplantin and etoposide am in the 4th cycle (will finsih cycle tomorrow) and increasingly I am tolerating the side effects of chemo farily well. Early on, first couple of cycles were hell and side effect were horrible and bearly tolerable, howerver the last two cycles the side effects have lessened making the chemo more bearable. Initially I consdiered clinical trials but for personal reasons opted not to, my wife is on staff at a local hospital and I felt more comfortable in that setting, she assured me one oncololgist in particular was top-notch, and well versed in the most clinically sound methods of treatment.

In all candor I has seriously considered stopping chemo aftet the second cycle, but given the bleak alternative by my oncologist, I decided to continue on.

To date I have only experienced what I consider minor pain in my back, between my shouldfe blades amd a deep ache in my chest that was more of a discomfort than a pain. My cough is not a problem, it is intermittent and not chonic. Syptomatically, I blame most of the physical ailments I am experiencing on the chemotherapy - nausea, vomiting, hair loss, geneal feeling of being very sick,.

My chief complaint though remains fatigue and sense of being worn out. Though as chemo has progressed I have felt myself feeling more energetic and needing fewer and fewer rest periods during the day. My oncologist attributes the increase in energy with the shringage in size of my turmor(s)...we shall see.

My cancer willl be re-staged the week of Dec 20th and hopefully

progress will be noted at that time. New CAT scans, PET scan,

Bone scan, blood work.....etc etc...will be performed then.

I guess thats about the extent of my cancer biography, forgive any obvious ommisions.

Persoanlly, inintially I was shocked to learn I had cancer, the shoch, turrned rapidly to depresssion and feeling sorry for myself, but since that time I have managed with the help of my loving wife and supportive others to recapture at least some notion of hope. I have good days and bad days, but hey thats not any different than the rest of the human race, I am no different.....true I have an extra burden called cancer, but still it is just another burden, that was givien to me for a reason, a purpose....what that purpose God only knows, and it is his will not mine....seems I am not the one in charge.

I have done a mooutain of research on sclc as I am sure most of you have however someone very close to me is a physican not an oncologist but who does have access to a good bit of information that is not available at libraires or on the web. To the extent possible and time permitting I am sure she would be happy to help answer questions or at least point you in the right direction.

By the way it was nice meeting you all.....I wish you all the best of luck and I am looking forward to reading your posts here on LCSC

regards,

mercer

Hi Mercer. Welcome to our family. I agree with your Doc, some of the exaustion surely is due to the tumor and I , having experienced it, also think some is due to just being diagnosed with lung cancer. It sure does not bring a lot of happy thoughts to mind. Most of us have used antidepressents to get us "through the valley" . I am an RN and work in a hospital. It seems after having gone through this, and also because I am open about having had lung cancer, that now all the time I am finding someone with lung cancer or some one on staff is catching me to tell me their parent or friend or in law etc have been diagnosed.

I go to Connie B s support group here in St. Paul and there we have several long tem, > 4 yrs, SCLC survivors with NED.

In our group we have a wonderful guy , who after he tells us how things are going always adds " It is another great day to be alive"

Again welcome , please keep us posted on how you are doing. Donna G

Welcome Mercer,

Glad you found this group. There is a lot of useful information here , as well as, a wonderful, caring group of people. Sure hope the improvements in the way you feel are due to the fact the chemo is shrinking the cancer. Will be keeping you in my prayers and looking forward to an update from you.

God Bless

sue

Mercer,

Welcome to our family.

About reaction to news of cancer - uh, yep, it's like a kick right in the teeth...and it takes a while to get through all that goes around in the mind when the word "cancer" is directed at you. I guess the biggest key is "acceptance". NOT accepting your 'fate', but accepting your diagnosis and then getting on with the business of living.

I think something that we should all remember is that before we were a "Person with Lung Cancer" we were a person. A person with dreams and aspirations and hopes...and we need to revisit that often when we feel our identity sliding to "person with lung cancer".

Now that emotional/mental battle? Don't despair if you have backslides, we ALL do. The monsters under the bed have become very real, and with that knowledge, sometimes it's hard to sleep at night. I'm a big proponent of better living through chemistry - when the monsters start growling, I pop a "Monster Cocktail" of Ambien and Xanax and head off to a Dreamland where monsters aren't allowed.

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Always good to be prepared (Reminds me of something I heard a few years back - The Army and the Boy Scouts have the same motto, what is the difference between the two organizations? The Boy Scouts have adult supervision!)

ANYHOW - keep on keepin' on. Stop in often, grab a cuppa and put your feet up, we're all family here!

Take care,

Becky

Good morning Mercer. I love your outlook on your situation, that positive attitude will be your best ammunition to fight, fight, fight....and WIN! Welcome to this wonderful group of incredible people!

Love and prayers,

Hi Mercer.

I too want to chime a big, big welcome to you.. Your spirituality and trust and faith that God is in charge will take you far. This disease is much easier to accept when you have the Big Guy pulling for you. don't forget to ask your friends to pray for you..there have actually been studies done that show a better outcome when folks pray for recovery for you..even strangers...even in different states...

It's all good.

Come here often. We will help you through this.

Cindi o'h

together WE heal...

Persoanlly, inintially I was shocked to learn I had cancer, the shoch, turrned rapidly to depresssion and feeling sorry for myself, but since that time I have managed with the help of my loving wife and supportive others to recapture at least some notion of hope. I have good days and bad days, but hey thats not any different than the rest of the human race, I am no different.....true I have an extra burden called cancer, but still it is just another burden, that was givien to me for a reason, a purpose....what that purpose God only knows, and it is his will not mine....seems I am not the one in charge.

Hello, Mercer, and welcome. This isn't the place you want to be, but it's the best place TO be for getting support from all the wonderful people here.

I think many of us went through exactly what you described. The way I look at it, before I knew about the cancer (I call that "BC" - before cancer!) I didn't know how many days of life I'd have on this earth, and when I found out about the cancer, I still didn't. The one and only thing we know for sure about life is that we won't get out of it alive! :P

Sounds like you have things in perspective, with good support at home and a great outlook -- all things in your favor.

Di

Hello all,

To be candid, I am overwhelmed by just how graciously you have all made me feel welcome, at home and at ease.

Thank you all very much for sharing not only glimpses of your life but also your hospitality as well.

I finished my 4th cycle today and am feeling pretty good, so far, no side effects......hell I am even hungry for a change, now that is a new experience after chemo for me.

Just wanted again to say thanks for making me feel so at ease.

I plan on contributing as I see fit, when I can make a positive contribution.....which according to my wife is not all that often.

Thanks again!!

warm regards,

mercer

Dear Mercer,

Well, you've found a great site - we're all rooting for you. I was diagnosed with sclc - limited in april 2002 and finished chemo and radiation 6-02. I also had radiation at the same time. i was 48 then, i'm 51 now and feeling good. There is hope, Mercer. Please keep reading our posts and "Ask the experts" when you have questions, as our experts are really great! Keep your chin up!

Joanie

Hi Mercer and WELCOME!

I've learned from the SCLC folks on here that SCLC is more aggressive than NSCLC, but is also very receptive to chemo. It's not uncommon to get a NED report or amazing shrinkage reports from SCLC patients after chemo. I just bet that's what you're going to hear.

I had a visit with my PCP today and we talked about "reactions" to a cancer diagnosis. I can only know how I feel/felt as a caregiver. My husband wants to know as little as possible. Says he "doesn't have time for this because he has work to do." He just wants to know where he has to be for treatment, what preparation he needs to do, and when to be there. Then he's right back to living as if his life was as normal as it was before dx. I, on the other hand, want to know every detail. My PCP and I both agreed that we would want to KNOW everything, but admitted that neither one of us would know how we would react if we got the dx.

Sounds like your initial reaction was about like most, and it is wonderful to hear that you have come out of that with a good fighting spirit.

WELCOME! I think you are really going to like it here. When you feel the need to get cancer off your mind, visit the Just for Laughs forum. Guaranteed to make you laugh!

God bless,

Peggy

• 9 months later...