Brain MRI

Justakid

I give up, went to the doctor for Tarceva follow up. Mentioned that I had double vision this past weekend and he is sending me for an MRI of the brain. I knew he would do that, guess that's why I flipped out so bad Sunday morning cause after the episode I had already thought of brain mets.

Not sure when the test is yet, they were trying to do the MRI that is on the back of a trailer. I told them there was no way I was getting in the coffin again (had one there before) cried and screamed through the whole thing (don't like tight spaces).

I'm at work trying to concentrate, make decisions on whether someone should be able to purchase a house or not and I'm freaking out.

Seems to me if it were brain mets you would need more then one symptom.......anyway.......trying to talk myself through this one AGAIN, of course I'm doing a real pis_ poor job of it!

I just don't believe this!

Beth,

I am SO sorry that you are going through all of this! You have had such unfortunate luck with every treatment that has been done and it really breaks my heart!

I had a brain MRI done in August of 2003 due to some pretty severe headaches I was having. I also had a full back MRI done about a year ago, and I would opt for the brain MRI ANY day over the other one. They only have to put HALF your body in the "tube" and I could hear them talking to me, the back of the tube was open, and I had a reflector on my head so that I could SEE the people in the booth. It really wasn't that bad!

I know that some people here have taken Adavan or various other drugs to relax them during MRI's -- maybe you can discuss that with your doc?

In any event, I pray that the results show you have absolutely NOTHING in your head.....(except your brain of course :roll: )

Thinking of you,

Heather

fyi -- it was determined that my headaches were due to all the stress I was dealing with after treatment ended and I freaking out about not being closely monitored anymore!

Beth, you and I are the biggest wimps ever when it comes to those MRIs, I guess -- I do NOT blame you a bit. Just reading here though tells me that these are vastly different, depending on where you go. The tech I had was a jerk -- a real jerk. It sounds like Heather had nice people with her who helped ease her through it. I bet that makes a huge difference, so just demand that you get real humans to help you through this one, rather than the "lay down, hold still, and shut up" kind. :roll:

Hopefully, this is just going to be something easy to get fixed.

Di

Beth,

I'll be thinking about you and praying for the "empty-head" results. I wish I had some great advice or suggestions about getting thru the MRI, my heart goes out to you! Stay strong and come back here with GREAT NEWS to share.

Love and prayers,

"the other" Beth

Beth,

Do they have open MRI's in your area? If so try to go to one, there great. If not they have ear phones w/music and I get blind folded before I go in, it does help. Good luck. I just had one on my shoulder on

Monday. I did the ear phones and blind folds and was okay this time or

I'm just getting used to it. That's sad. Valium helps. Will be thinking of

you. Stay strong girl, and I'll pray NO METS!!!!!!!!!

Beth,

It's good to get checked since you had the double vision episode. A closed MRI is supposed to be a lot better than an open MRI, so I suggest that you ask the doctor for something to help get you through it.

I had to have a closed MRI for my back a couple of years ago and refused because I am so claustrophic. My doctor said he wouldn't accept an open MRI and told me I could do it as he handed me a prescription for two Atavans to be taken 1 hr. before the MRI with the proviso that I had to have a driver.

It worked. I was calm as a cucumber during the procedure, and goofy as goon afterward. I have never taken anything like that before but my husband got a kick out of it because I acted like a giggly kid. Yummy fun stuff!

It will be ok. It's best to get brain mets ruled OUT!!

Love,

Peggy

Thanks everybody (again), still freaking out. Thank goodness for the Tarceva rash....I have something to hide behind when I'm crying. I do tend to over react.

I can either do the coffin like MRI (on the back of a trailer) on Monday or the Open MRI on Thursday. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and do the coffin one to get it over with. Guess my Mom will be there holding my foot singing X-mas carols again! :)

Had an optic migraine on my way home from work today, must be the stress.

I've decided that roller coasters suck! :?

Beth,

I just got out of the machine at 6:00PM. The closed is the best, as far as imaging, and you only go in about halfway. Total time was about 20 - 25 minutes, including a break for the IV. My secret is to close my eyes before I go in and keep them closed. That way Its like nothing has changed. Mine was for frequent headaches. Hope it goes well, for both of us!

Glenn

Beth,

I had one over the summer. Took 10 mg of Valium an hour before the scan. Closed my eyes when they were positioning me - couldn't watch while they put the hockey mask on me, was easier to look out the little squares AFTER it was on then to watch it come down...

The scan took a while, it was noisy...I just tried to remember my Grampa when he had his tractor out and proudly drove the grandkids around sitting on the axle next to his seat...also a loud and scary thing...but warm memories, just the same. Try visual imagery, put yourself somewhere else and talk to yourself in your mind "I'm doing okay, just a little while longer...I can do this, I CAN do this, I can DO this, I can do THIS..." Whatever it takes to get through it...

Take yourself out of the picture, leave your body there for the scan, but take your mind somewhere else...say YES to drugs! :wink:

Hoping for an empty head for you!

xxoo,

Becky

Oh, yes, Beth. What Glenn said is very, very, very important! Close your eyes before you go in and DON'T open them. I just pretended like I was closing my eyes and trying to take a nap. I had a bone scan about 10 yrs ago and made the mistake of opening my eyes while the board thingy was crossing over my face and they had to tell me to close my eyes and talk me into calming down.

Cindi: Oh, yeah - you're right. I didn't need the Ativan to be goofy as a goon (that part's natural), but I did need them to stagger and giggle. As we were walking to the car, hubby stopped me at the sidewalk, rolled his eyes and said, "Just stay there. I'll pick you up." I don't know if he didn't want to be seen walking with me or he was afraid he would have to pick me up off the ground. LOL! Probably both! I think I slept the rest of the day. GOOD STUFF that Ativan!!

Beth, it will be ok!!!!!

Love,

Peggy

Beth,

I hope it is nothing! Please let us know when it is scheduled and how it goes.

I would say d on't worry, but that would be pot calling kettle black :) However, just as an aside, my mom has had some episodes of double vision and feeling dizzy and her last brain MRI was normal. It could easily be jsut from stress or maybe totally normal and not something you wuld otherwise think about, except now we all think of everything as possibly something. I am not sure if that made sense to anyone but me. Heehee.

Take care. Anxiously looking for good news from you

Hi Beth

I know there's not much I can say at this point that will alleviate your fears, but know that Mum has been experiencing a constellation of symptoms, none of which include double-vision. I hope with everything I have that there is a benign explanation for the episode you described. Will be looking for your post in the Good News forum!

Karen