Not Quite Empty Headed

Remembering Dave

Well, Karen and I saw the Neurosurgeon today and got at least one thing settled. There is something in my head. (mixed emotions on that one). He took out the scans and showed them to us and sure enough there are 2 little pea sized spots just inside my brain. MRI scans were done exactly 1 month ago. He said that due to the location he wants to wait to see if they grow. He said there is a very good likelyhood that they could have been caused by the amount of radiation to that area and may go away with time......but then again the only way to really tell would be to do a biopsy and if he was going to do a biopsy he would just as soon go in and get them out. He also said that the area of the brain that they are located in is probably the best part and side of the brain they could be in as far as any complications from any possible surgury if it comes to that. He indicated that I probably would not be a candidate for the radiosurgury (Gammaknife) due to the large amount of radiation I have had already so any surgury would be done the old fashioned way. He made an appt for me to go back on Feb. 7 (I think) to have another MRI done that morning and the immediately after the MRI I will go up to his office to get the results (hows that for service!). We spent a good hour with this guy and both Karen and I are very pleased with him. He said that even if it is cancer that giving it another couple of weeks would not give it enough time to become a serious threat. I would have to wait at least 2 weeks for a biopsy so waiting another week to see if they are growing is not going to make that much of a difference. Although we do not know much more than when we went in we both feel better since at least know we have a game plan and know what we may be up against. Sooo, as long as my peas don't turn into Lima Beans or Brussell Sprouts I will be OK.

Thank you all so much for the help, prayers and support you have given to both Karen and I. Words can not convey our grattitude.

PS, the cat is still alive and kicking.

David C

Dave and Karen -

Sorry you didn't get a definitive answer but I am glad to hear that you have a plan in place. Praying that you will continue to be a pea head :) and that these spots eventually turn out to be nothing. You both continue to amaze me in all that you have been through to still have to fighting spirit. You are an inspiration to me - thank you!!!!

Much to you both!!!

Amy

Hey David and Karen.

Honestly...!

That is a whole lot to swallow in one day. I am glad that you have confidence in this doc. That makes for some ease. I think that he gave you some good information. Sometimes that wait and see business has its rewards as difficult as the w&s game can become.

Now....how to keep completely absorbed in something else until the 7th is going to be your challenge. You could make up recipes using legumes and divine ways to keep the cat safe from becoming supper.

Tell Becky that I just love that photo of Faith too. Violet is definitely a great color for her.. too cute.

I'll be praying for you guys that nothing changes.

Cindi o'h

Hey Dave,

If you had a brussel sprout I bet you would know it! Isn't it nice to know that if there is a "good" place to have something in your brain that's were you got it?! :?

Guess we'll just have to wait an see if you sprout limbs although I'm sure your peas are nothing more then veggies!

hey, guys, this is Karen. This guy used the phrase "i'm not convinced it's a tumor" a couple of times . . . and I think he wants to delay the biopsy in case he's right, which he also said . . . and, yes, I think the biopsy is not simple enough that he just goes in there and does it for the heck of it without alot of reason, so if the pea (it looks like one big pea but is two stuck together) grows then he'll just make a very educated assumption that it's tumor and take it out.

I think he's pretty sure its radiation damage. I feel alot better after talking to him myself. Dave wasn't so convinced, but it's Dave's noggin, not mine, that's growing veggies.

He said best case scenario he'd be watching Dave's noggin with MRI's every couple of months for quite some time, and I would be quite happy with that!

Love,

Karen

Here kitty, kitty, Karen wants to trade places with you for a hour now and then!!! :P

Well, it's not doom and gloom, it's the Old Wait and See Stuff! :roll: I have lots of time to keep you all in my prayers. I really don't mind diong that! I just wish I could be doing more! ((((Dave, Karen, & Faith)))))

Love to you All,

Con

David and Karen,

This wait and see has got to be an anxiety builder but the man sounds like he really knows what he is talking about. Lets hope he is right about not thinking they are tumors but just scar tissue. I must have missed something with the cat but I am sure glad it made it. Poor kitty. Is the cat trying hard to stay out of Dave's way or Faith's? :? Keeping you all in my prayers. Stay busy Dave and it will help the time go by faster.

Nina

Hi Guys,

I would have liked to hear "its definetely not mets" but.... I think the doc is really leaning toward scarring.. sounds that way to me. I know with my Dad... as soon as they looked at the MRI they said MET, no doubt about it.. they can tell alot from just visuals. I also like that your doc is being cautious instead of rushing right in there... he sounds like a good man with a good plan and I am glad you have him. I will continue to pray for you. Love, Sharon

all the critters in our house hide all the time, but mostly from Faith.

Imagine a 100 pound lab curled up like a cat under a wing chair?

the cat hides from Faith all the time but lately since Dave is craving meat I guess she'd better hide from him, too!

and yes, there are plenty of times I want to find a place to hdie but I won't fit under the wing chair!

Karen

In lieu of a total "all clear" from the neuro....this sounds about as positive as you can get....eh? I like the guy's caution...but I also like that he's told you he thinks it's just radiation damage!

So...I'll be directing my thoughts towards these two peas disappearing by the next MRI....or at least diminishing enough that it is clear they are not mets!

Hang in Dave and Karen!

Addie, yes, even no change in size or, no change in size but a change in shape is good (he said radiation damage peas will often sorta squish around but not grow bigger, so changing in shape is OK). I guess the only thing that will make him operate is BIGGER. He went into alot of detail about this and what he's looking for, this guy seems to know tumors very intimately, but that's all he does, apparently, so I guess he knows exactly how they behave!

Karen