Need support

ellakc2

Hi!

It will be two yrs. at the end of this month that cigs have been out of my life. It seems to me it is

way easier to quit than to stay away from them. I will never smoke again, so you don't have to worry. I'm just asking for some support from those of you who have quit. I've come here before for support so

I'm sure it will not be my last time. I'm struggling with this today.

Thanks in advance.

Love,

Mare

I am so happy that you have the resolve to know that you will not have that cigarette! Take some good deep breaths and let that oxygen relax you as it sweeps through your body. It is much better than that nasty tar and carbon monoxide. :? You are doing great. Keep it up.

Oh Mare,

You've come a long way, baby!!!!!!!! Just keep it up. How about a couple of lifesavers to just get you over the urge that seems ready to topple you off your perch? What about Nips? They are quite tasty and take a LONG time to suck! You could type posts and replies here for HOURS if you needed to to keep you distracted.

No kidding, Mare, it is a struggle, I know! You have come too far to turn back now!

Willing you the strength to move beyond the urge,

Kasey

Congratulations on going so long without smoking. It's been two years and a month since I quit. I still have dreams in which I am smoking - generally in a location in which smoking is prohibited. Then, in the dream, I wonder what I should do with the burning cigarette. That's what wakes me up. Ever since I came home from the hospital following my 1st surgery, cigarette oder has made me nauseous (sp?). That helps in not craving cigs. when I'm awake.

Don't forget that now that you're a non-smoker you don't have to spend all that time wondering when you can find a place to have another cigarette.

Good luck!

Muriel K

Mare,

Isn't that the truth, much easier to quit than to stay off. I haven't had one since April 2004 but I still have days when I want one sooo bad. I will never, ever smoke another cigarette but I do have some days when it's pretty hard.

They say it gets easier with time but the desire is always there in the back of our minds just waiting to catch us off guard.

All you can really do is to ride it out, the desire goes away, you already know that and you already know it will come back. They have done their damage, they have given us cancer, made us afraid that we are going to die and we have to live with this fear for the rest of our lives, and yet we STILL have the desire now and then.

Those tobacco companies should have to fork over big bucks to each and every smoker who ends up with cancer or emphasema but they don't. They get to put all of the poison in them they want, what ever it takes to keep us addicted.

Hang in there, I understand the feeling, I still have smokers in my family who smoke right under my nose. I don't get angry with them, I feel sorry that they are so hooked they have to light up right in front of someone who got lung cancer from that very habit, it must be scary.

We are doomed to a life time of occasional cravings for the very thing that has done this to our bodies and caused us all of this grief and fear :(

Hopefully the craving is gone by now and you are having a good day, if not, know you are far from alone. Every ex smoker I know has bad days, thank God the desire goes away :)

Kathy

I am praying for you as I went back and wish more than anything I had not given in. I know I will quit again some day but you have to be ready and you were and all you have to remember is this gal here smoking and knowing it is hurting her health and hating the fact that I went back. Go forward ....... not backwards my friend. You can do it!!!

God Bless You and keep you strong,

Jane

Congratulations on the 2 year quit mark from one who knows! I am at 2 years and almost 2 months, and I still have my days. But knowing that I just can't smoke again seems to make that craving go just as fast as it came. You should celebrate--you've really accomplished something huge!

Cindy

Mare,

Wow, you have had so many good responses!!! Isn't it totally amazing how strong the power of nicotine addiction is?

I can relate to what you are saying. Its 2 years and a month for me, and some days the urge to smoke just seems to grab a hold of me. On at least 2 seperate occasions I actually thought out stopping at the store and buying a pack (NO, I am NOT going to smoke)! There have been times at work, I will go outside to talk to someone smoking just to smell the smoke (there I said it!!)

What helps me is realizing that the feeling will pass and not just reacting to it. I try to think it through, yeah, I really WANT a cigarette but how will I feel after I smoke it? And it took me 30 years to quit, and only AFTER losing 2/3 of my lung, I know that if I start smoking again, I will never be able to stop. I guess that's what stops me from starting again, I know that basically this is IT, this is my one shot, my ONLY chance to not smoke. To tell you the God's honest truth..if I thought I could have one and stop, I would have smoked by now. :shock:

I hope your day gets easier for you..sometimes walking or some type of exercise works for me... I know these days "ain't" easy!!

Mare:

I have read that nicotine is among the most addictive substances. You have made it 2 years now. That is pretty good. I quit smoking almost 21 years ago. I don't remember when the craving went away, but I probably had it at least 2 years. Eventually, the craving went away. I cant stand to be around the smoke now. However, I occasionally still have dreams that I started smoking again, and wake up to discover it was only a dream. In my dream, I was dissapointed. Good luck in your continued non smoking lifestyle.

Don M

I have moments of serious craving for a cig, and I quit 5/1/99. half the reason I don't start again is that I don't ever want to go through the HELL of quitting again. the other half is my mom.

hang in there, girl. you're doing awesome!

xoxo

amie

Hey there Mare.

Two years is a long time -- Congratulations. But if you need something to help you stay on track, consider this in a logical fashion... Clean air through your delicate lungs...OR... Polluting, filthy, dirty, chemical filled air saturating your delicate lungs... Easy choice, isn't it? Take care.

David P.

Mare, I had my last cigarette at 8:40a.m. on 6/15/02 on the back patio of my sister's house in Tulsa OK. I had no reason to stop other than I knew smoking was a stupid habit. I never thought I would be able to do it. I was the type of smoker who didn't go upstairs to get a load of wash without my cigs. And I smoked for over 40 years.

Do I still want a cigarette? At times. But I know that the urge passes quickly. And I know I only had ONE quit in me. Don't want to do that again.

For the first couple of years, the smell of smoke was good. Now it smells horrible, and I think this is good.

You have not smoked during a lot of stress in the past couple of years. Just keep psyching yourself, whatever works for you, to stay quit.