newcomer in need of support from those who understand

jlynn2jo

Hi. I'm new to using these types of support so any feedback is welcome. I'm 48 years old and have been fighting nslc for 5 years now. Shortly before my 43rd bday, masses were detected on an ex-ray. I had a double lobectomy, followed by 6 wks., of chemo. For 2 years all seemed well, then it returned in lymphnodes in my neck, and again 2 more years later. This time it was only 1 year. The last 2 times I had radiation with chemo, this time just chemo.I've had 12 treatments so far, then a week break as had a touch of pnemonia. This week, Weds., will be my #13, and have 4 more after for sure. Also scheduled for my 2nd CT to see how treatments are going. This will be my second since started and the 1st showed that treatments were working. It has really been a long scarey 5 years, and yet at times I do know I'm blessed for having made it this long. It's just that after this much it's very hard not to question my faith, my doctors, and yet I will never give up the fight. Mainly what I'm looking for now is other people who are also fighting this horrible cancer. Sincerely, jlynn

A very warm welcome to you jlynn. You are at the right place if you are looking for folks who are fighting this disease like crazy. You have had quite a time of it these past 5 years, and I want to congratulate you on fighting and surviving.

Perhaps by filling in a Profile - what you find under all our names - we may be able to help you better and support you as well.

Glad to 'meet' you.

Kasey

Several here have started their battle with this beast at very young ages. Welcome. I hope you have friends and family also that are there for you during this fight.

Many of us here know what the battle is like first hand. Hope we can help. Donna G

Jlynn,

I know how hard it is to keep on trying to find the joy when you keep on being hit with the cancer. Try not to assign blame. This is a disease, not a punishment. Try to focus on the Science of Cancer Medicine. Doing so is what allows me to look at what is happening to me, and what is available to treat the disease without falling too far down a black hole. Come here often.

Wishing you well,

Hi jlynn: I would like to welcome you too. I hope your next ct scan shows even more good reults and that you can continue to have many more anniveraries. You are a veteran at fighting this disease. I am sure you have as much to offer us as we have to offer you.

Don M

Jlynn

You certainly have had your share but I absolutely, love your attitude. Never give up!!

You will get through this, I know it.

We are always here to help you through this.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Maryanne

welcome. you will get tons of support and input from other survivors here. 5 years is amazing, good for you! I am the daughter of a 5+ year LC survivor, and although she had a wicked recurrance recently, she's still kickin'. that's what makes her a survivor, in my eyes.

glad you found us, though I hate what you're going through.

xoxo

amie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. First of all I'd like to thank everyone for

welcoming me. I'm still not real sure how to use the message boards, in fact I lost my first letter somehow. But I plan to look around some more for hints and ideas. I also plan to work on my profile within the next few days.

I have an update since my CT scan last week. The radiologist said the lymphnodes haven't shrunk anymore, but are stable. I know this is good and yet can't help but be a little down the first couple days. A few days of reading, thinking, and the smiles of my grandkids, put me back in my fighting attitude. Any way, my oncologist felt I probablly built up an immunity to the IV drugs, so decided to start me on Tarceva and see how that works. If not, we'll try another IV chemo drug later on. I started yesterday with 150 mgs. I'm keeping a daily log so I forget nothing for my next appt. Has anyone had good results with this drug? I'm always a bit nervous about starting a new drug, and of course the statistics are always scarey.

I wish all of you fighting this the best. We must all keep fighting it. For all of you who have lost someone, my heart goes out to you. Take care.

jlynn2jo

jlynn,

around here stable is a good word. A very good word. Try to wrap your head around it somemore. It means that the cancer isn't going anywhere!!! That is a very good thing!

Lots have done well on Tarceva for a very long time. Sometimes they say that their doses are adjusted according to their side effects if they have some that cannot be tolerated. Others have no side effects. Mostly I hear complaints about skin rashes (bad ones) with the Tarceva. Lots of my pals here are still around because of it and love it. Hope it is good to you. If not, there are lots more in the little black bag. We are pretty lucky to have choices in 2006.

Cindi o'h