Getting To Know You - March 17

Ann

When I first found this board it was a great relief to have found so many people going through the same thing. I was not alone. I probably read this board for a good 6 months before I decided to join. At first I posted about my dad and about the complications he had during chemo and radiation. It was nice to get responses by those who have experienced the same as my dad. Since then, he has been doing really well and so now I tend to give support to those who need encouragement and prayers. I just know that when something serious happens down the road with my dad, I will have great support from all you wonderful people.

love,

jorja

I feel I contribute to the board with my own experiences with lung cancer, a positive attitude and my research on lung cancer--That one can be at Stage IV and still have a life.

I feel I get the most out of the board by learning through other (patients/caregivers/family members/friends) members their experiences and knowledge--Helps to know how others are dealing with lung cancer.

What I hope that I contribute is humour, and the ability to laugh even when it feels like there's no laughter left.

I hope that I am proof that lung cancer is survivable (knock on wood everyone), and the recognition that especially if lung cancer is found early, you can make it through.

I have gained alot of knowledge through this board and support when I have needed it. I have also felt alot of heartache here, and struggle constantly with whether to stay or leave. Staying here keeps my cancer consistently at the forefront of my mind and in a way keeps me from 'moving' on. But then I think of the others who weren't given a choice to move on or not, and I feel like I can't not come back. There needs to be people who carry on, it just sometimes feels like too much of a burden with everything else in life going on. And then I feel guilty, because I feel like I'm ungrateful and have forgotten the ones who have died. So I come here, and post when I'm able but more than not, I just come here.

I think that's more a reply than you wanted, but I'm having a hard time here recently and this post got me going :roll: !

I feel this board has helped me realize I am not in this alone. I learn so much about treatments, trials and the other members here-- it helps to focus on others besides me and John. I hope I give back even one tenth of what I have received, if I do that I've done a lot.

My hope is that I have help someone with my own

experiences with taking care of Alan. That what we

have been through provides others with a sense of hope.

I have gained so much love and friendship from this board

that I can not even explain how much I miss

everyone if I am gone a day or two. I want to thank

all of those who have taken me under their wing and

guided my through this jounery.

Debi has said just about everything I needed to say so I won't repeat it all.

This board is my addiction........my computer calls to me every time I pass the room, it depresses me, cheers me, supports me and saddens me but I can't stay away for long.

I get upset for people I have never met, and will never meet, but I smile and rejoice and laugh with others.

I am helping to organise a walk/run that I would not have done otherwise so I have plenty of benefits from this site.

That sums it up.

Geri

I think I may have helped those who are grieving realize that grief is not a brief instant. That what they are feeling is not strange or unusual. Also in my ups and downs of life I may have brought a sense of life goes on but not the same.

I know that I have gained several good friends and in the years sense I joined I have been blessed to know so many truly good people who may not always understand where I am comming from but let me know that they are there in my corner pulling for me. Prayers and just knowing that there are people who care can make a difference between living or just existing.

When I found this site it was a life saver for me.I gained knowledge,support and friendship.I too was a lurker for about 6 months befor joining.Drs. were scimpy on explaining everything and friends(some lifelong)suddenly disapeared.To me this site is a Godsend.

I have gained a lot here and try to contribute by giving back in the way of shared experiance,support and laughter along with small contributions when able.

What do I give...advice in the "Dear Snowflake" style. A little bit of sugar, a little bit of spice and a kick in the arse when earned.

What I have gotten from the site...Hope. I found this site soon after my surgery and discovering I had a more advanced stage than previously stated. I went online for the first time and found statistics, followed by grim statistics, followed by grimmer statistics. I thought to myself that although the surviving number was small, there HAD to be survivors SOMEWHERE - so that's what I searched on, LUNG CANCER SURVIVORS - and I found 'em, here, along with something I had lost - HOPE. I feel that is what I owe the newly diagnosed and terrified - HOPE.

I Actually found this board during a criss situation as I called It. Was seeking info on something for Deb last year and never thought I would wind up joining a board like this. Also Belonged to several MSN boards but left them to be with everyone here. Was welcomed with open arms and lots of info and help and compassion. Have recieved much Love, Joy, Compassion, understanding during the whole crisis including Debs Passing away 2 months ago, I need to do something to help beat this disease and if I can help 1 person in some minute or grandiose way it is all worth being here. I do what I can for everyone here who is starting or continuing a fight against this disease. It is getting worse and this needs to stop somewhere. Much Love And Joy and Many prayers for everyone.

Contributions: While I am still pretty new here, hopefully I am (and will continue) adding the knowledge of my experiences and how I am getting through them that might help others in their journey. Unlike others, I didn't lurk for awhile before joining, I just jumped right in as soon as I found this place: it was like finding an oasis in the middle of so much confusion. Sometimes I think my answers are awkward and not exactly phrased that great on some issues, but this whole thing is pretty awkward to me right now. Like Frank mentioned, the docs aren't very forthcoming with info. so I am struggling like so many others to do the best I can.

Gains: A couple come to mind immediately: (1) Every time I post, I appreciate seeing that people actually read what's put up pretty quickly; they may not have an answer to my particular questions, but folks here actively read posts to see if they can help (as opposed to other bboards where your post can sit for days, weeks, months, and get noone even viewing your message). It's a real feeling of support when you are desperately trying to find answers or some direction to set your sights on...even if folks can't answer your issue, they are caring enough to try by just taking a look at your posts. (2) The obvious gain is people's valuable experiences with exactly what I and my mom are going through -- This is only one example that goes beyond the wonderful friendship here: I was only in here 2 days when folks' feedback on an issue of mine saved our family $1,000 per month in expenses (because they knew how "the system" worked and I didn't); impressed the folks around here that I even knew the right question to ask to get it done.....I didn't, I got the question from here!

Sorry so long, Linda