New here...

Guest JanineL1111

Guest JanineL1111

Hi there. My name is Janine, and my mother Jean, 71, has been recently diagnosed(Mar 9, 2006)with nsclc, met to the bones. She went to ER on Sunday night, Feb 26, 2006, and was admitted. She is now in a Rehab center, and was supposed to start chemo today. Well, the oncologist left a msg for my dad yesterday saying that she would only be able to do a half dose because the blood work came back with an abnormality in the liver. So, ended up the whole treatment was cancelled. I'm so confused, and scared to death. I've read many of the posts on this board, and I find it helpful to know that I am not alone. My dad is 74 and in poor health, so there is a major concern there too. And the last I talked to my dad, he said my mother was starting to change her mind about chemo completely. She thinks maybe she should just go straight to hospice. I know it's her decision, but I really want her to at least give chemo a try.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Thanks for being here.

Janine

I am new here as well. But wanted to welcome you to the boards. Am so sorry your mother is going through this. It's so hard for everyone who loves them... And while I can understand your mothers thinking about not doing chemo - I can also feel for all who want her to fight this. Keith refused any help at the end, he just wanted to go "home". He was so tired of fighting. It was hard for me to sit by and watch, but I knew in my heart it was the best decision for him.

I'll be thinking of you and your family.. keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Melanie

Hi there. My name is Janine, and my mother Jean, 71, has been recently diagnosed(Mar 9, 2006)with nsclc, met to the bones. She went to ER on Sunday night, Feb 26, 2006, and was admitted. She is now in a Rehab center, and was supposed to start chemo today. Well, the oncologist left a msg for my dad yesterday saying that she would only be able to do a half dose because the blood work came back with an abnormality in the liver. So, ended up the whole treatment was cancelled. I'm so confused, and scared to death. I've read many of the posts on this board, and I find it helpful to know that I am not alone. My dad is 74 and in poor health, so there is a major concern there too. And the last I talked to my dad, he said my mother was starting to change her mind about chemo completely. She thinks maybe she should just go straight to hospice. I know it's her decision, but I really want her to at least give chemo a try.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Thanks for being here.

Janine

There are many pros and cons to Chemo treatments. Your mom has to decide what she wants to do but Things change and quality of life is important to every one. I can't give advice but I can and will say prayers for you and your Family at this difficult time. If you need anything just ask, andwe will do whatever we can to help you out. Best wishes and saying prayers.

Hi Janine and Welcome.

If you read through the profiles at the end of our messages you will see that there are many people represented here whose cancer has spread to the bones. My Dad has just finished his 6th chemo treatment and all in all, I would say he has tolerated it very well. There are some great drugs in use nowadays that do wonders for the ill effects that one might otherwise suffer from chemo. Perhaps if you read through as many of the postings here that you can get through :lol: you can gather up all the hope and inspiration you'll find in them and relay the words/stories to your Mother in hopes that she to can be inspired to give this beast a good whack!!

All the best to you and your family,

Lynda

Hi Jeanine and welcome.

It sounds as if you are not living nearby your parents; is this right?

Also, someone must have planted the idea of hospice to her. Was it her onco doctor?

It might help if you can somehow have a consult with her M.D. and listen well and ask good questions. Take notes, or bring a recorder.

Especially in the beginning, there is much confusion. Maybe you can help to find some clarity for your Mom and Dad.

Let us know how we can help you!!!

Hospice is a big decision.

Cindi o'h

Welcome, Janine. Glad you found us. My wife has nsclc and has had numerous bone mets along the way (see bio below). She is now 3 1/2 years from diagnosis and has had 4 difference chemo protocols so far. She believes for her the treatments have been worth it. Don

Welcome. Did they mention doing radiation with your mom? I am not understanding why she is in the rehab center since February? Is there some way you can speak to her oncologist and find out why treatment was cancelled? It seems there are still options for her. Good luck and let us know.

Janine,welcome to our support family.Sorry to hear this news but there are many of us here who have had several quality years living with lung cancer.

It is ultimately your mom's choice however it is good to have her armed with all the information and choices available to her.That is why it is important for every one to have someone close to them help advocate for them.

Seems to me there should be several options available to her.

Janine,welcome to this group. I think there are ways to deal with your mom's liver problems. treatment these days is more doable than in recent years. If your mom wants to go to hospice, that is her decision, but make sure she is making an informed choice. I would like to extend to you, your mom and the rest of your family my best wishes.

Don M

Hello Janine,

Welcome.

Could be that when your mother finds out

the results about what caused the abnormality

in the liver she'll change her mind again and

may want to fight lc.

It is a lot for her at the same time, hospitalization, lc news, chemo and no

chemo and now for the liver........

Give her some time to understand all there

is about the treatments and then she could

decide.

Please keep us posted.

Jackie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JanineL1111

My mother passed away peacefully, surrounded by her family on March 31, 2006. I still can't believe she's gone. She took a terrible turn, and was taken back to the hospital, where she was intubated without our knowledge. It's a long story, but while she was sedated and on the ventilator, she suffered a stroke. We were never able to speak to her during the last week of her life. She was responsive with her eyes, and by squeezing our hands, but it was unbearable to not be able to hear her voice. I never knew that last time I spoke with her was going to be the last time...it hurts so bad. I miss her, and I am waiting for her to come to me in my dreams...

Thanks for all of your words of encouragement. I wish you all the best.

Janine

Janine,

I'm new here as well, and I was so sorry to read about your mother. It is so hard to lose a loved one. I lost my father a month ago. Give yourself permission to grieve, and to vent. Let these people on the boards help you, they are wonderful!

Hugs and prayers,

Hi Janine-

My mom went through the same thoughts when faced with treatment. Didn't want it but she did change her mind. Has she seen others go through chemo and didn't like what it did to them? I know my mom was the same way with the radiation, didn't like what it did to my Grandma 20 years ago. What you can do is talk to her about how treatment has changed and how they can do so much more to minimize the side effects. In the end, the only thing you can do is support her decision...as hard as it may be. I wish you luck and believe me, the people here care about you and what is going on with you.

Keep us posted.