Severe confusion

Heya folks. Just a quick question. Mom's neurosurgeon has been tapering her off the decadron since surgery and this past Sunday she was moved to 2mg from 4mg. She has been so confused since yesterday. For instance, she doesn't even know she's on the bedpan, thinks my aunt and uncle were there today, thought she went to therpay today when she was actually at the hospital getting her legs dopplered, and was trying to lower the bed and instead kept puching the call light. She also started with a rash yesterday that they are thinking is cellulitis and have started antbiotics as of last night. I can't find anywhere that cellulitis can cause confusion.

Her aide is as concerned as me about how not herself she is. She is out of it. Could the confusion come this quickly from lowering the decadron? Her nurse had to throw out it could be the cancer spreading. Duh, we know that, but we are looking for a more immediate cause. She is sleeping constantly.

I think I will call her neurosurgeon Dr. tomorrow if she is not better. Thoughts?

Hi Lori -

We moved my mom from 12mg to .5mg and her only withdrawal type symptoms were leg cramps and weakness...yet she did not have swelling in her brain to start with (just all inflammation around bones/nerves.)

Hoping there is a simple explanation,

Holly

Any possibility that mom's bloodwork chemistry goes awry with decadron reductions? Like sodium drops or calcium increases? I really don't know, but as someone who has been dealing with confusion issues with my own mom since the beginning, I'll put that out for the "experts" here to comment on......nothing you've said so far, Lori, triggers anything obvious I know of.

Hoping this gets resolved quickly for you....hugs,

Linda

Hi Lori,

I wish I had an answer for you. I was on Decadron too (1mg per day, then .5 every day for 2 weeks, then down to .125 for a week, then .125 every other day for a week, then .125 every 2 days for a week, now I'm off WoooHooo.) :D Not as high as your mom, I am too sensitive with it. Since your mom has been on it so long, she may be very sensitive to it also, maybe they are weaning her off too fast and her body or mind is in withdrawl. Just a suggestion. I had that problem. Had to go back on it and up the dose. :(

It's a good idea to check with the neurosurgeon though... :wink:

Please keep us posted,

God Bless and prayers,

Luv Ya and Hugs,

Karen

Lori:

Since bloodwork is fine, I am leaning toward what Don and, I think, someone else mentioned, that the decadron reduction might have been too fast......I am not familiar with how long your mom has been on decadron and, of course, I am not a doc. to really know. I just wonder since it's not that long since brain surgery, whether there might be some inflammation happening that is causing the confusion. Check out decadron info. at http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/dexameth_wcp.htm and http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdr ... 1118.shtml. See if what you find there rings "any bells" to you about your mom's particular situation.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. Your recent post went up while I was writing this: am glad your mom is doing better now!

Lori,

I'm glad your mom is doing better today. I will say that Mike went through the steroid psychosis from hell so I know what medication is capable of doing. His was from prednisone , but deadron is definitely a problem for many. Hopefully, if the drugs are the problem, it will continue to improve as she gets away from the high dosages.

Love,

Sue

Lori,

Alan was on Decadron and it put him into a full blown psycosis. very very scary. Alan thought he was frozen inside and would only eat if I defrosted him. :? Also thought he was a computer and finished very sentance with Yahoo, Yahoo, Yahoo. :roll: he ended up in the psych ward so they could wean him slowly off the stuff. He had a very severe reaction, but it can happen. He is unable to ever take it again. I am happy to say he is fine now and I am able to laugh at some of the things he did. (not funny at the time.)

Hope your mom starts feeling better.

Lori, Sorry I saw this so late. I'm glad your mom is feeling better, and I will say some prayers for her continued improvement.

I don't have any advice on the decadron since Keith has never been on it. But I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers.