Getting to Know You - July 7

Ann

ONE lousy ticket, that ticket I got for speeding about a year ago. ON my way up to see my daughter on some country highway about 2 hours from here, I was PASSING someone and they started speeding up, so I had to speed up to get in front of them. THe policeman, coming the other direction, behind a hill, saw me on radar and waved me over.

That's the one where I go to a courtroom in some backwoods town feeling like a character actor in "My Cousin Vinnie". This is NO exaggeration, the courtroom is packed and the judge gives EVERYONE probation before me- an 18 year old kid doing 75 in a school zone is one memorable case and another guy who the judge actually knew by name because he had been to court so many times. The Judge asked everyone who went before him if they ever had a speeding ticket, he never even asked me. I go up there and after I finish explaining my case, the judge (I SWEAR) says, "You aint from around these parts are you?". And I said "No, I'm from Ardmore, Oklahoma" (which by now is looking like a Metropolis to me), and then he fines me $180.00. I said to him "I have always had a clean driving record and he said "Well, now you don't". I was livid. In retrospect, I think he thought that I was being smart when I didn't say NY when he asked me where I was from, but I wasn't trying to be. I live here now, and have for almost 6 years.

Debi...sounds like you should write your own screenplay about that experience. I have heard some really scary stories about these small town courtrooms and judges that rule in them. I guess you're lucky that you walked away with a $180.00 fine, as this judge sounds like one that could have gladly imposed some jail time in his nice little town. I have two traffic tickets. One was for speeding and the other was for making a right hand turn on a red. Normally, here in Florida , the right hand turn on red is permissible but this was in a school zone, which is a big no-no.

Ann,

When you ask about traffic tickets, does that include all of the DUI's, possesion of narcotics, and drug trafficing?

Or do you just want to know about speeding tickets, driving without insurance, accidents and that sort of thing?

Do you want to know about the chases that have been avoided in getting busted too?

Where to start.

Where to start...

:P

Cindi o'h

Cindi....Just go ahead and give us the entire scoop! No better way for most of us to spice up our lives than by reading the official (and uncut) version of your biography!!! I can betcha that would be one book that would be hard to put down.

Deb....7 speeding tickets??? Now I know whay you just bought that racy little convertible. Did you all know that??? I think the car purchase must have had something to do with being such a beautiful model in the charity fashion show. Models...convertibles...they just seem to go together.

:lol:

when I was at the doctor's the other day, the nurse was helping me to fill out my medical history. (it was a long one....!)

she asked, "alcohol use?"

I answered, "hardly at all"

she asked, "drug abuse?"

I answered, "no, but I always wanted to try heroin."

she asks, "what? why Heroin?!"

I say, "it just sounds racy and fun. People might start to think I was cool!"

remember, Ann, this is cyberspace and there are no fines for lying or stretching the truth! :P

Maybe 6 or 8 in 40 years.......ain't too bad really.

The one that really frosted my butt was the last one. I was on my way to Boston to get a flight out to Tx (Not last week) and was about 2 miles from home on a VERY back road and this SOB (who is notorious around here) was waiting when

I came over a rise. He was hiding in the trees and got me dead in the water - 45 in a 35 zone..

I pulled over at the end of a dirt road and waited for him. He swaggers over and takes all the usual stuff and goes back to his car.

While I was waiting a car came down the dirt road and I had to move.......I took great delight in pulling into the middle of a mud puddle knowing that I wasn't allowed to get out of my car. Finaly Barney Fife comes back with my ticket and without a word goes back to his car with mud all over his boots!!

Childish that may have been but he may have thought of me the next day when he had to clean off the mud before he went to work.

Geri

Did not know Barney Fife ever left Mayberry especially to go all the way to Vermont.

2 speeding tickets and a Police man was a witness when I rear-ended someone in the rain following too closely. No ticket as I remember though.

One for speeding - 56 in a 45 fourteen years ago. I had my then-husband's car instead of my own, larger engine and a big ol' fuzz-buster on the dash. No getting out of THAT ticket! :roll:

Pulled over for "running a red light" while I had my grandmother with me. Gramma was a teacher and when the cop came up and told me it was a red light, she gave him "the look" and told him on no uncertain terms that it was not. (To tell the truth, I was SURE I was gonna end up in the pokey with that fiesty woman smelling blood in the water - lol) My thought is the copper thought he had two young girls dragging Main and ended up with a young mom, a two-year-old and a gramma... I DID get a ticket, for not changing my address at the DMV when I moved, but it was forgiven once I got the address changed.

Ooops, I lied. I got a warning ticket 2 weeks ago in Boston (I think I need to stop going there).

I rear-ended a pickup truck at a light, fortunately at low speed but it was enough to take out the front of my car. His bumper was about 18ins higher than mine and it was dead center of my grille!

Anyhow the cop came and took pity on this silver haired woman from Vermont with an undrivable car and said he had to cite me but as my insurance company was going to blame me he didn't need to add to it so he was making it a warning. I could have kissed him!!

Barney Fife he was not, now had I been 30 years younger..........

Geri

One. In 1977 I ran a red light on a dark and rainy night in Pocatello Idaho. The light turned yellow, I started to stop then realized I couldn't stop safely so floored it.

The cops pulled me over immediately. I had to turn my lights off as I had a weak battery. Two cops got out, guns drawn. I was only 23. Scared me to death. Fine was only $25. Barb