episode that happened yesterday

melindasue37

I just have a quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

My step dad called yesterday and told me my Mom and him had went for a drive. While they were out he was talking to her and she suddenly became non-responsive. Her eyes were open but she just wasn't "there."

He drove home and couldn't get her to walk in the house from the car. She just kept wanting to sit down, and not really understanding where she was.

He thought it was her sodium levels and gave her salty food to help.

I pleaded with her to call the doctor and he said she wanted to wait until this morning to see how she felt. When I called this morning she said she felt better and that she didn't think it was necessary to call her oncologist.

Has this happened to anyone? Is this a side effect of the chemo? Do I need to be concerned? I have asked my step dad to please call the doctor but he doesn't want to go behind her back. I don't want to make her upset but I would feel so much better just to get her in for a quick check to make sure that everything is ok.

Her sodium levels have dropped before. When we first found out about her having cancer she was asleep and my stepdad couldn't wake her. He called 911 and the paramedics took her to the hospital. That was how this nightmare officially began. It just hasn't happened since her diagnosis and it really scares me that this would happen again when she was home alone.

I guess I just need a little advice from anyone that might have any knowledge of this type of behavior.

Thank you,

Melinda

Hi -

I am sorry to hear this happened to your Mom.

My Dad had this happened to him - but he did not have cancer. The neurologist said it was a minor stroke (so minor, they figured he had had several of them with no one noticing). It happened once when my Mom and I were visiting him in the nursing home. All of a sudden his eyes were open but, exactly as you said, "he wasn't there" It also happened one time during a physical therapy session - "he wasn't there.." and then needed to sit down.

I would just follow-up on it to make sure this is not what this is.

I hope this helps. Brandie

Melinda,

Your mom's doc really should be told. I understand your SF's reluctance to go behind your mom's back so maybe he could just tell her that he is going to call the doc and update him on what went on...tell her that he is concerned and he knows that she doesn't want him worrying. Kind of make it sound like he is calling *more for him* than for her...

Prayers for you and yours

Libby

Melinda,

I have not had anything like that happen, but I do think that anything like taht should be taken to the onc. They know it. Your parents are paying hefty money for them to make the big decisions, and make sure your parenst don't feel strange about letting them know everything...even things they think are minor.

Prayers,

Jen

Melinda, I don't want to scare you, but this sounds like what would happen when my father had a "petit mal" seizure. He would just be staring and you could tell he was not there. Usually lasted only a few seconds. Not dangerous in itself, but her doctor should know about it, a brain MRI may be called for. Hope you get some answers soon.

Karen H

Melinda:

Yes, this used to be one symptom with my mom when she was running low sodiums: and, low sodium levels can put one at risk for seizures (so the ER docs told us in the beginning). I'd inform the onc. because a salty snack or two is probably not going to be enough to bring the sodium levels back up to where they need to be, if that's the underlying cause.

Linda

I wanted to thank all of you for your replies.

My SF is calling the doctor this morning.

I'm sure after hearing what happened he will want to see her as soon as possible.

Any prayers would be so much appreciated.

I'll keep all of you posted when we hear any news.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Melinda,

Glad you SF called the Doc... it is nothing that should be ignored. My Dad was getting "episodes" such as these and they were indeed Petit mal seizures... which are very controlable... so let us know what the doc says and in the meantime, I am praying for you all. Love, Sharon

My stepdad let my Mom talk him out of going to the doctor yesterday so I drove down last night to check on her. My sister is on her way from St. Louis right now.

My stepdad finally called the doctor this morning and we have an appointment scheduled today at 2:15.

They are going to do a chest x-ray and brain scan and of course blood work. We will be meeting with her oncologist at 4:30 today for him to read the x-rays.

She isn't doing very good right now. Hasn't eaten more than a few bites in days, is having stomach cramps, very bad diarrhea and I think she is dehydrated. I am so thankful she has finally agreed to go to the doctor. I'm just hoping that all of this can be controlled with medication and that she won't be admitted to the hospital. But, I'm ready to deal without whatever may come of our appointment today.

Thank you again for all the advice, and I'll post an update when I can.

Melinda

Melinda,

I had a very bad spell with diarrhea a few months ago. Because of that, I had no appetite, I was close to dehydration and had terrible abdominal pains. Almost immediately after the diarrhea was controlled (2 Imodium after each loose BM; up to 8 a day some days), my appetite came back and my humor quickly followed. Hopefully your mom will see the same results real soon. You're all in my prayers.

Trish

It seems like for every question I ask any of my doctors part of their response every single time is: "Drink, drink, drink and rest all you can". Keeping oneself hydrated seems to be of utmost importance. Never having been a big water drinkers makes it tough. Does anyone know if drinking juices is the next best thing. I do try to keep water by me at all times I just do not consume as much as I am sure they would like. Prayers are being said for your mom and each and every single person that is involved with fighting this beast.