Getting to Know You - September 14

Ann

How many of you remember stores that had lunch counters? I guess admitting to this really shows our age...lol! What lunch counters were your favorite and what did you love to order?

PS...for those of you too young to remember, you have no idea what you missed!

I had two favorites....McCrory's and Woolworth's. What a treat it was to have lunch with my mom and my aunt at either of these places. Both were in downtown Knoxville, which was quite a big "trip into town" when I was growing up. I would always order a hamburger and fries. But...the thing I love the most were the chocolate shakes and banana splits. Both stores used to have a promotion with banana splits. You would pick a balloon and inside would be a price for the banana split. It was so exciting when you picked the balloon that had a price of one cent!!!

Ummm...how I would love to be able to have lunch at either of those places today!!!

I remember!!!!!! Rea and Derrick drug store. The waitresses all wore 'uniforms' like in the show 'Alice'.............remember??? They had the fancy handkerchief sticking in the breast pocket too. And they all had BIG hair with red red lips and called everybody 'hon'!!!!!!!!!!!! They had the best BLT's......that with a coke!!!!! :lol: Happy memories!

Kasey

Woolworths or the Dairy Maid (in Germantown Kasey)

and my fav was a hot dog and a cherry coke.

I also loved that every drug store had a soda fountain and I loved, loved, loved chocolate ice cream sodas with coffee ice cream. Does anyone know if you can get a real ice cream soda anymore? The kind made with seltzer.

Ginny, I don't think you can find the "real thing" anymore. I have often wondered why some company didn't start a chain that incorporates all of the really good stuff. I would certainly be a customer. I know that going to Sonic brings back some memories of a little drive-in that was close to my high school. The "curb hops" at my Sonic here are even on roller skates. As for shakes, I think Steak n Shake has a pretty good one.

LL Sterns in Williamsport PA. I use to get the old fashion coke syrup with soda water. I remember once they did not stir it and I sucked raw coke syrup up the straw. Also Woolworth's in Flint MI and another department store in downtown Flint. I can not remember it's name. I believe JC Penny downtown Flint also had one.

I'd like to be able to say I don't remember them because I'm too young!!

Woolworths in England had cafeterias so the first lunch counter we came across was our first lunch in Montreal, it was in Kresge's dept store and I remember we both ordered burgers and we'd never seen them served open - you know the burger on one half of the bun and the lettuce and tomato on the other - it was fascinating to be able to watch what went on behind the counter.

Sure was an experience, talk about babes in the woods...we didn't have a clue!

Geri

I do not remember them but I can tell you that the Sit in Movement at woolworths is 20 minutes from my front Door. I am proud of that fact. Woolworths on Elm Street.

My favorites were Woolworths and Kresge. Grilled cheese sandwich and chocolate soda. Yes, I think you can still get a real choc. soda - I had one at Baskin Robbins a few years ago.

I'm a Minnesotan. Both the Woolworths and Kresges were downtown. Smelled like peanuts. Really awful. Byerlys arrived in MN after we left in 1967.

Muriel

Responce to those looking for real seltzer Soda's" Hey come to where us hick's live, for starter's there is a drug store in the little town of Greensburg Kansas (home of the world's largest hand dug well} that set's right on main street named Hunter Drug and they have the counter and all. There are other's but that is the one at this time that come's to mind...

I remember going to Woolworth's when we were shopping -- but, like Lori, I don't remember what I ordered.....I loved that place though.

I don't know if it counts in this topic, but I also loved Eat'n Park Restaurants (the home of the BIG BOY) back then....they had counters we ate at as well as booths......very soda fountain-like at the time, but it was really a separate restaurant.

Heck Ann, you ought to ask about favorite drive-in restaurants too.....Eat'n park used to do a thing where your food was brought to your car on a tray that hung on the driver's door. We did a few others of those too when I was growing up and I do miss that sort of thing today.

Linda