Getting to Know You - September 19

Ann

When someone is giving you a birthday gift, do you prefer something you can really use in everyday life or something very personal? For instance, my friend told her husband that she wanted a new deep fryer for her birthday. He refused, saying he did not want to buy her anything for the house as a birthday gift. He wants to get her something personal, like perfume. She hates this idea, as she wants something she can use in the house. What do you guys think?

Ann, I was very fortunate, Earl was a great gift giver. Always remembered things that I said I wanted even 11 months before Christmas. And he always had something special, a piece of jewelry or something very personal. Albeit, for 3 years straight I asked for a dictionary and a good atlas and didn't get them. The 2x4 finally worked and I got them.

I like both-- however not an appliance. :lol: I have asked for things for the house before but they are usually a certain antique piece I've seen or something I collect. I collect old fishing lures made by a certain person so it is not unusual for me to get a lure for a gift. I like to get clothes as a personal gift or jewelry.

My friend got it right......one Christmas her husband gavew her a garbage disposal --- the next year she gave him a wok (he didn't cook!!)

Richard hasn't done too badly over the years but he did much better when our daughter got old enough to tell him what to buy.

Household stuff I buy when I need it, gold and stones are a much better choice

Geri