I'm home from Surgery and recovering

ursol

My surgery to remove two lobes of my right lung was Monday, October 2nd. I was supposed to have the surgery at 8:50 AM. The surgeon started at 4:00 PM due to complications with the patient before me. Therefore, nervous, starving and dehydrated, I finally was wheeled into the OR.

Good news the surgeon only removed one lobe and many lymph nodes. By Friday, pathology report came back that there was no cancer, radiation and chemo had done the job. Doctors were very please. I went home. By this Tuesday, October 10th, I couldn't stop coughing and developed a fever. Went to the ER and they diagnosed a small NeumaThorax. I was put on oxygen and remained in the hospital until yesterday the 12th. I had a CT scan and my doctor thinks I have a slight infection so I'm on Antibiotics but I'm back home. I'm taking two percocets approximately every 4 to 5 hours for pain. I would love to hear from other how long they needed their pain meds..The pain gets intense if I slow down but I'm hoping I can wean myself off of them soon.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that I cannot actively be online too much right now to support others as it is just too exhausting.

Lilly

So glad to hear that you are back home and that your surgery went so well. I suggest that you stay ahead of the pain and take your pain pills when you feel the pain coming back before it hits you. Also do drink plenty of water and enjoy your little spirometer toy. Believe it or not after awhile it will be so easy to operate that it will feel like a child's toy.

I am overjoyed at this news, Lily! Yes I am. Pain for me lasted less than 10 days.........at least the pain you are talking about. Then I was on Motrin and that was all. Hope it is the same for you! Keep us posted on your recovery as you can. I am smiling for you........yes I am!!!

Kasey

Wonderful news Lily! As I am a Respiratory Therapist in real life, I absolutely agree with carolhg about using your spirometer. This will prevent you from losing lung function. I don't know how long you will need your pain meds though. I hope it's not too long. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery!

God Bless,

Sharon

Welcome home Lilly. I bet it feels good to be back in your own bed.

Lilly, we are twins. I had my operation on Monday October 2, 2000 and was released to go home on Thursday October 12 too. :D

Gradually over the next few weeks the pain will subside and then finally one night you will actually be able to lay on your incision side, for only a few seconds...but it will feel so great. A few weeks after that you will be able to actually sleep on that side.

Gotta run, but am so happy you are out of that stinky old hospital and back home.

Barb

Welcome home Lilly. It is nice you got to keep the other lobe. I hope you shake off the infection and have a speedy recovery. I have had 2 thoracotomies. Both times, I used pain pills for a week after I got home, then I used ibuprofen. I slept kind of lightly at night for the first week or so. I slept on my good side. I had to be careful not to roll over on my bad side, thus I slept lightly.

Lilly,

I am so pleased with your news. Welcome home and contrats on a successful surgery. My husband used his pain pills for about 10 days after coming home and then switched to Tylenol extra strength. After a couple of weeks of sleeping in a lazy boy chair he was able to move back into bed propped up with a couple of pillows. He walked every day up to 4 miles by then end of three weeks. Make sure you don't lift anything heavy like your little one or bags of groceries and don't try to vacuum. Let your husband and any friends and family take care of your kids and house. My husband make the mistake of trying to feel normal too soon and help bring in groceries after being home a couple of weeks and felt like a staple popped and had pain go across his chest. Scared him for a couple of days.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Mendy

Lilly,

For the first week I was home after surgery (I spent ten days in the hospital), I took my pain medication (Tylenol-3) every 4-6 hours, as directed on the bottle. I also took ibuprofen for the aches. After the week, I started taking the narcotic just before bed or if I overdid myself that day in getting up and about and felt more pain. I continued to take the ibuprofen when I felt it was needed. If the ibuprofen didn't cut the pain within half an hour, I would take the narcotic.

It does dissipate with time, seems unbearably forever at the time, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that long. I may have been weaning myself off the heavy-duty stuff within a week, but it took me almost a month to get back to sleeping in my bed and not on the reclining couch.... There's pain and then there's discomfort - and coughing and wheezing, etc.

Yay! on the chemo/radiation doing a job!

Take care,

Becky

Hi Lilly,

Welcome home! My husband went through what you are going through. They were suppose to take a lung but only took a lobe. So happy that was the same in your case. Are you going to be starting Chemo for prevention?

He was also on Perks, which in his case helped him tremendously. It did make him constipated at times and needed a softener.

Just take time and heal. You will feel better every day and soon this will be all behind you.

Hang in there, you will be fine.

Maryanne :wink: