Got Bad news today

Robin

I had my needle biospy done and went back to the lung doctor today and I have non smal cell adencarconoma/ I don't know what the aden part means so now I have an appt with th ono. this Thursady, I just don't know which way to turn and I am a wreck with emotions. I wish i could just go to sleep and that be it. Robin

((((((Robin))))))) I don't know the feeling of the sock in the stomach as a patient. Just as a caregiver.

But what I *DO* know is that we'll walk through this with you. And we'll help in any way we can, and support you in any way we can.

Hang on and know that as so many people here have found, there is HOPE.

Adeno-: Prefix referring to a gland, as in adenoma and adenopathy. From the Greek aden meaning originally "an acorn" and later "a gland" in the form of an acorn. Before a vowel, adeno- becomes aden-, as in adenitis (inflammation of a gland).

Carcinoma, like all neoplasia, is classified by its histopathological appearance. Adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, two common descriptive terms for tumours, reflect the fact that these cells may have glandular or squamous cell appearances respectively. Severely anaplastic tumours might be so undifferentiated that they do not have a distinct histological appearance (undifferentiated carcinoma).

Sometimes a tumour is referred to by the presumptive organ of the primary (eg carcinoma of the prostate) or the putative cell of origin (hepatocellular carcinoma, renal cell carcinoma

Welcome to the boards. I know how devastating this is right now. there are lots of options for Adenocarcinoma. this is the most common type of NSCLC and the most researched as well. Tehre are so many survivors that are her it is inspirational to read all teh great stories. take a look through the Good news Forums for some inspiration. Let us know what Onc says and w ecan help from there. Get all the tears and fears out of the way and gert ready to fight this disease. We can help you beat it!!!

Robin,

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnoses. I know what a shock it is. I had that feeling that everything was lost and really did not know which way to turn. It only took me a short time to determine that I would fight my cancer with all that I have. I had my wife and daughter with me at the time I found out. We were all united that we would beat this.

You will find a lot of support from all of us. You need to keep us posted. Talking with survivors was a great help in getting me through. What test are they going to do next? You need to tell us what stage that they come up with. My cancer was the same type as yours and I was stage IV plus a pleural effusion, but I am cancer free today. Yours may be less than stage IV, but it’s good to know that you can beat any stage. I will do all I can to help you with your journey to a cure.

Trying to be calm is so very hard to do, I know. I quickly realized that one of the worst things for me would be stress. Stress can slow the healing and hinder recovery. What a catch 22. So it is important to start doing things that make you feel better. Talking to others that have been through the same thing means more than having a friend who has not been there tells you to stay calm.

When you go to all of your appointments have someone with you to listen take notes. Get copies all your tests. Keep them together, so if you go for a second opinion, you have them ready.

Cancer is a bump in the road not the end.

One of my favorite verses is: Mathew 6:27

“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

You will find that you can have a lot of control over your recovery. It will be a team effort of doctors, nurses, and friends and you will be captain of this team. When you get to that point things will be easier.

Robin I will continue to pray for you and that you can find peace of mind. Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Robin,

I can only imagine how you must feel. I am not a patient, just the wife of a patient. I seldom show feelings to anyone, and literally became (really) ill at the hospital when I was told! I felt as if I had been hit hard in the stomach. I know that it had to be even harder for you.

I'll bet you are much stronger than you think, and can meet this head on.

Please stay with us here, and let all of these experienced folks help you through this. Read the stories, and understand that this can be fought well.

You can do this one step a time.

Do you have someone to attend upcoming appointments with you ?

Please keep us posted.

mc

Robin:

There's a bright side to this!

First, you have a firm diagnosis early in the game, not like some others in the group who are still trying to figure out what's wrong and bouncing from one test to another. Future tests for you will be focused, not shots in the dark.

Second, as Randy said, you have a very common form of lung cancer, which means there's been much research on it, effective treatments have been developed, and there are LOTS of survivors (many right here in the LCSC) who can help you meet this challenge.

Read Ernie's post again -- it has some excellent advice. Communicate with others who have "been there, done that, bought the shirt...." Do an LCSC search on adenocarcinoma and right-click the message subjects so you can read the profiles, not just the words at the top. Send a few PMs. When friends, acquaintances, and relatives who HAVEN'T "been there, done that" come over to offer their support or sympathy, talk freely about your condition and spend some time educating them on lung cancer and the remarkable advances in treatment that have recently become available. You'll find that surprisingly therapeutic!

And -- as soon as you possibly can -- start writing messages of encouragement to members even newer than yourself who are confused and overwhelmed and frightened. That, as much as anything you can do, will put you on the path to beating this disease!

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Robin,

I'm sorry to hear the diagnosis. It takes a while to be able to deal with fully. Allow yourself sometime to be sad, angry, and overwhelmed. Then you can move on to a more positive place and start fighting it.

It helped me to be put on an antidepressant - I had so much to learn, and so many decisions. In order to think/talk without tears, I needed some help.

Anyway, I am still on the same antidepressant (lexapro) becaue my doctors think anyone with Stage IV cancer should have a mood elevator.

Again, I'm sorry you have the bad news, but it gets better. As treatment options are offered, you can check with us to see what our experience has been.

Best wishes,

Mary

Welcome Robin glad you found us. Today is your first appointment with your oncologist. Here is praying you truly like this person and find them very willing to help you fight. I really like my oncologist and her attitude is always upbeat and super and I think she would even be fun to party with LOL. I do, however, have an appointment with her today to read my PET scan results and thought it has only been months the knot in my stomache returns every time and probably will for years to come. Have an attitude of gratitued and thing good thought. Best of luck with your appointment.

Judy

You know, dear, you could take a couple Advil PM or some NYquil and treat yourself to a nice NAP.

We will be here when you wake up, ready to support you in anyway we can.

Hang on,

Give yourself time to make the news a part of you. It is awful, it is unfair, but you are not alone.

Lots of hugs

Pat

Robin, please don't give up. I know what you are going through is tough, but tomorrow you will feel a little stronger and the next day still stronger. Take it easy on yourself for a few days and get used to the idea that you have an obstacle to overcome. Pray about it and get a gameplan together with your Dr. Things will get better.

Robin..

Like the others said hang in there.

My original diagnosis was also adeno, stage IV. It is impossible to explain what those words felt like. The fear, pain, anger and injustice I felt. It is like nothing else. I was only in my mid 30's, never smoked (I assumed that LC was a smoker disease) and I was very healthy till then. I was single with 3 small kids. I really wanted to just give up too. The pain and fear were all consuming for a very long time.. BUT

it helped as soon as i met with the onco and had a plan. A PLAN! What a wonderful thing that is. That's when I started to fight and felt like I could win. It will help when you have your own treatment plan. When you connect with others (like the folks here) who have been there and done that. They are living, they are happy. It is doable and you will do it too. Ask questions, seek support. This is a club that no one wants to belong to. But we are in this together.

Keep us posted, we care. Tami

Robin,

Tami said everything quite well! I also am very sorry that you have had to find our little community.

I can hardly add anything other than bring a notebook for all your questions and the answers. It also helps to have someone else with you to hear everything the Doc says. Two pairs of ears are really better than one!

A game plan truly does make a difference. It will take awhile before you stop feeling like you just want to lay down and die. The numbness goes away once the fight begins. It's going to be a bumpy ride, but we are all here to hold your hand through the peaks and valleys of this disease.

Keep us posted on your staging and treatment plan.

Much luck and warm fuzzies coming your way,

Welthy