Don't want to be here ....

DeanCarl

... but glad there's a "here" to be since my choices seem a bit limited right now.

My name is Dean. I'm a 53 year old married bus driver from Alpine, CA (about 30 miles east of San Diego). Friday, after feeling sick for about a month, I finally went to the V.A. hospital. I had gone to an urgent care a week or so before and had been diagnosed with pnuemonia. But after a week of anti-biotics I still felt sick and was haveing a problems breathing. Also had no stamina at all. Turns out the pnuemonia was covering up a tumor in my right lung. Right now that's about all I know. I go back in for a CAT scan and more tests on Monday. I suspect I'll find out then just what I have and what the treatment options are. I kind of figure it's fairly bad since I'm having so much trouble breathing and I know from my visit on Friday that the pnuemonia is gone. We'll just have to wait and see.

Dean

Dean,

Am really sorry for you having to be here but glad you found this place because it comes with a lot of knowledge. However, after you get back the results, you may be out of here and everying okay. They do come benign you know and I sure will be praying for that for you. Let us know how you turn out. If you need us we will be here for you. God Bless

Hey Dean...

Glad to see you made it and sorry you have to be here too!!

I don't want to be here either. But for having to be here, this is definitely a supportive group of people. They have answered all my questions and put up with my posts. No matter what we may suffer from, it is always good to be in good company while we do!!

Please keep posting and let us all know how the tests go. I know its scary but you're not alone!!

Debi

47 years old

stage 1a-nsclc

Surgery June 16, 2003- mid & upper lobe removed

Hello Dean,

Welcome, glad you found us, :):) first off Judy's right, ya hav'nt been diagnosed yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer for you.

Your symptoms, however sound much like mine. I also had the pneumonia in the left lung which was caused by an obstructive tumor. That was in March of 2001 and I was 50 years young at the time.. I was shortly afterward diagnosed with NSCLC - squamous type. My left lung was removed a few weeks later. We took the family pic 8 weeks after they took out the lung, I was hiking in the rainforests of Costa Rica. I move a bit slower these days but the point is I do just fine. The message is this disease is survivable, so hand in there and know your not alone.

Again welcome, glad you found us, hoping it's not cancer but if it is you don't have to go through it alone!!! :) Were all here for ya.

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hi Dean,

Listen to what everyone is saying. You haven't been diagnosed and let's pray that all is well and there was an unnecessary scare. Let's wait and see what the docs say, please keep us posted. We really do care.

I live in So. Cal also, Corona, not too far from each other. Please hang in there and I will include you in my prayers.

God Bless and praying for a "Cure" for all of us....

Karen

Dx'd 3-03, 3a, nsclc, Radiation and chemo Taxol/carboplatin

Hey Dean! What Bob said!! But unlike Debi, I DO want to be here.

I too had pneumonia prior to my cancerous tumor discovery in my left lung, oh so many years ago. But unlike my friend Bob, I have not slowed down - just the opposite. I've kicked it up a few notches, if you go back a ways in the "General" forum, you'll find my mountain bike racing exploits

there. Don't get in a big kerfuffel before you need to; and, when you do get the results, if they're not so good, then get weird for a couple days and do the old, "why me, why me" and "what am I going to do now" stuff.

Then Dean, GET MAD AS H.E.L.L. and KICK THE CRAP OUT OF THIS THING, and then go enjoy the rest of your long, fruitful life. Keep us posted - you will find no other site with the wealth of knowledgeable and caring individuals anywhere. Take care Dean,

David P.

Going to the VA hospital , I imagine you are X military. Retired? My husband was a Navy man. We lived in San Diego for a year plus while he took a class at the naval base. Welcome. Being told you have a tumor and all the unknown are very unnerving. I imagine you will have lots of tests before you know exactly what is going on and what the plans for treatment will be. I hope you find us a helpful group, we try. Keep us posted Donna G

Dean,

Hang in there, could be nothing. I started out with a pneumonia diagnosis and a "SURPRISE", too. Unfortunately, malignant is an ugly word... BUT, a friend of mine was told that she had a mass in her left lung on her employment medical screen...she went to the same thoracic surgeon I did for consultation and then a biopsy and she has some lung infection that can be treated with steroids... I was glad for her, she was taking some of the pity spotlight from me! :wink: (Just kidding...)

...and I didn't have much of a "Why ME?" phase, kept getting answered by the voices in my head with "Why NOT you?"...

Be tough, be strong, and keep the faith.

Becky

aka Snowflake

(former Navy brat, sister of a Leatherneck Semper Fi! , ex-Army wife - or Army ex-wife..something like that!)

Dear Dean,

I'm keeping all movable body parts crossed that this turns out to be a benign problem.

If it is malignant, several forms of Lung Cancer are covered under Service Connected disability. If you run into problems obtaining appropriate medical care, let me know. I've already made use of my Congressional Representative in my quest to for medical care. (Retired Military). We Californians have a special friend in Congress (Rep Lois Capps (D). She lost her daughter Lisa (age 36) to Lung Cancer a few years ago, and she is very sensitive to the issues of appropriate and timely treatment for Lung Cancer patients.

Let's just hope that you don't need any of this info.

Best Wishes,

Fay A.

Dean - as a veteran myself, permit me to remind you of a couple of things:

Pay close attention to the highlighted parts

The Code of Conduct

I

I am an American fighting man.

I serve in the forces which guard my country and our way of life.

I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

II

I will never surrender of my own free will.

If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist.

III

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available.

I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape.

I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

IV

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners.

I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades.

If I am senior, I will take command. If not I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

V

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war,

I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth.

I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability.

I will make no written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

VI

I will never forget that I am an American fighting man, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free.

I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Some other quotes you might find helpful"

a/ Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead! (Navy Admiral)

b/ Pain is good - it only means that you are still alive (Navy Corpsman)

c/ Pain is weakness leaving the body (USMC)

d/ Old soldiers never die - they just fade away (Douglas McArthur)

e/ When the going gets tough - the tough get going (Joseph P. Kennedy)

Get my drift there trooper? You're thinking "I've been dealt bad cards" - I say "play it out". Fact is that in poker - 2 two's can win.

:wink:

Dean,

just wanted to welcome you here, and to say that mi amigos that posted ahead of me are very wise-so I'd listen to them. Hopefully the results will be negative (which is a positive thing) and you will be able to post here one more time to tell us that we're not needed...

however, if the results come back positive than I hope you will stay on and let us be here for you to sound off at. Also, if the test results are positive for lung cancer, than after going throught the anger and sorrow, please do as DavidP said and be ready to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! Your attitude will greatly affect how your respond to any treatment or surgery that you may need.

Please keep us posted, either way, take care-Deb

Dean, welcome and sorry you have to be here too. With luck maybe it will turn out that you don't need to be here at all, but if you do need us, you couldn't have come to a better place.

We lived in Ramona for 13 years, just up the road a bit from you. Alpine is a beautiful place, but I like the rain and the Seattle area. I know...people think I crazy, but I like it.

Annie