Hello!

Hi everybody!

I count myself lucky I came across this website while trying to find answers/comfort/hope in the internet. Didn't find any of the above until I came across you. What I have read in here is absolutely amazing and beyond anything I had hoped to find.

My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer last year in September. He was complaining of shoulder pain (having it treated by a chiropractor) until I sent him to my family doctor and the X-Ray showed a mass located in the apex of his upper right lung.

Long story short: a CT scan and a lung biopsy later determined a diagnosis of adenocarcinoma of the lung. At the beginning the prognosis didn't look too promising (the mass was 4 - 5 cm in diameter), but after an extremely aggressive radiation/chemotherapy treatment (together, 25 days of radiation while receiving both CisPlatin and VP16) the tumor shrunk to the size of a blueberry and the doctors were able to remove it along with the upper lobe of his right lung. The surgery was the 22nd of January.

I love him so much! I am so very, incredibly, absolutely scared. And he needs me to be strong, confident, calm, supportive...I guess I just wanted to find a place where I can be weak, and cry, and get a hug or 2. And I am certain I found it....

I am happy to be here!

This site has been amazing for me. I can honestly say the people here have helped me through some of my toughest days. I am so glad that you found us and that your husband is doing so well. This is a place where you can share emotions and ask questions and even laugh!! Great therapy!!!

Welcome,

Dana

Welcome! Yup this is the place to laugh, cry, vent, do whatever you need to do to cope with your husband's disease. Being a caregive and someone who loves a LC patient can be so very frightening and difficult--worse if you don't have support.

Glad you found us!

Susan

Lady Salt,

Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry you had to come and find us, but I am so, so glad that you have. Please know you are among some amazing people, who's stories are worth reading and learning from.

Blessings,

Jen

Hubby is being treated in North York General Hospital for his chemo and in Sunnybrook for the radiation.

We live downtown, so it is a bit of a ride to get to them, but totally worthy. The team of doctors that took his case are just amazing.

Thank you all for your welcome and good wishes!!

Glad to hear you are happy with the treatments and the docs! I am in the east end - beaches area.

I dont understand if you are downtown why you are not at PMH but must be because NYH referred you to sunnybrook...I have talked to some of the radiation techs at sunnybrook and they seem awesome!

I find out tomorrow if I will be undergoing radiation treatment depending on results of latest ct scan.

Also, in case you are interested, there is a support group for lung cancer patients and their partners/caregivers that meets at Wellspring at the Sunnybrook site on the third Wed of the month at 1 pm on a drop in basis. You and your husband would be most welcome of course!

Hi Salt! Welcome. Boy your husband's story sounds like mine. I had the same treatment initially. You can read it under "MY STORY" through the valley and up the mountain. I pray he does as well as I. In December it will be 10 years since I was told the pain in my shoulder was lung cancer. I continue to be cancer free or what we like to say around here "Keeping friends with NED" (no evidence of disease). Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hi Salt

(((((((SALT))))))) ( thats a hug to you)

You certainly have been on a roller coaster ride. Your husband is so very fortunate for the outcome in which he was able to have an operation and have it removed. So many here do not have that option.

As you can see our family here is very supportive, knowledgeabe and you can vent anytime. We are not here to judge just to he here for each other.

Welcome here glad to have you join us.

Please make a profile on your husband which will appear on the bottom of your post so we will know what his prognosis is.

Maryanne :wink:

Hello, I am from north of Toronto. This site is wonderful. Although my hubbies outcome was not so fortunate I have found both during and after a great deal of support, friendship and understanding on this site. It is the best thing that I could have had to learn from. I have just recommended this site to a co-workers wife who has just been diagnosed also. All the best and congrats, Heather

Welcome to the forum. You will find tons of love, support and info. I am recently diagnosed and think sometimes it's harder on my husband. Hang in there and do stop by again. Together we hold each other up.

Welcome-

This is a wonderful place full of people who have lung cancer and their caregivers who will support you along this new journey.

Whatever you do don't listen to statistics!!! Noone is the same-just read the inspiring stories of these survivors on this board!!

Keep us posted.

Dar