Will a port be better?

So, with 26 needles going through Mom's hands and arms over the past 9 days, she is thinking it's time to get a port put in. What experiences have people had with ports? Good and bad. Thank you!

I loved my port. I had it from mid-Sept 2003 until the end of June 2007. I didn't have any trouble with it. The only "downside" that I saw was that when it wasn't being used for chemo it needed to be "flushed" every 6 weeks or so. That's a 5 minute procedure. The surgeon who removed my port said that he usually does that procedure in his office, but since he hadn't put mine in and wasn't familiar with the type that I had, he preferred to remove it at an "outpatient" surgical center. I highly recommend a port.

Muriel

after 4 rounds of chemo and 3 stays in the hospital I really wish I had gotten my dad on a port then before the treatment when he was stronger.

Now he is very weak and his skin is in horrid condition. they are telling me that at this time it isnt in his best interests to put one in that he is too weak for the procedure. so if you are considering it dont wait too long. Get it done while she is in good shape.

he is telling me he wants to continue to fight after this break (2 months) so I will push to have a port put in, that way yes it is invasive but the end result it will less invasive and hard on his hands and arms

I definitely recommend the port. Installation was simple (done under local anesthesia at my request) and recovery was rapid (just minor soreness for a few days when moving the arm on that side).

In my case, the position of the port catheter in the vein ended up at somewhat of an angle and blood cannot be withdrawn readily, though infusions are unrestricted. From what I've read, this is a rather common problem (about 25%) with my type of port, and while the extra needle sticks for blood tests have not been a problem for me, this could be a disappointment for someone with marginal arm/hand veins.

Also, imaging techs have not seen fit to use the port for dye injections before or during scans, giving a variety of reasons such as "the dye is too thick and will clog the port" or "the dye is injected under pressure and will damage the port." I've been told that it is possible to use the port for dye injections if the oncologist includes that in his scan order, but so far I haven't felt the need to ask for that.

So in sum, I'd say one and a half thumbs up for the port.

Aloha,

Ned

I can also add a ringing endorsement for the Port. Was a godsend for Deb. Helped her greatly over 3 year period.

Thank you everyone. I told Mom I'd ask the "web site support group" & that I KNEW we'd have answers. If they didn't put one in yesterday, I'll push for one today. I'm just curious how her evening went since she had had it with needles yesterday! But knowing she still needed 3 more doses of her anti-biotics, I'm hoping they suggested the port last night. =)

The only thing I do NOT like about my port is the fact that I do have to go have it flushed out every 6 weeks. It means a trip to town that I would not normally have to make but my Oncologist likes to leave them in for a couple of years. I am one year out from treatment and will go in this morning for a port flush, blood work and to see the Doc. They did manage to collapse my lung when they put the port in but since then no problems with it. They also do not use mine when injecting the dye for scans.

I may be wrong, but if your mom is almost finished with her treatments,(having maybe 2 or 3 left) they may not put a port in at this time. But, I could be wrong!

I never had one, but IF I ever had to go through chemo again, I would have a port, not doubt about it!