Back to work today

teriw

I'm just getting ready to leave for my first day back at work. I feel that I've been out for a year, and I'm so nervous. In reality it's been about 2 1/2 months.

I'm only going back part-time at the moment. I don't know if I'm more nervous about the work (it's a fairly high-stress environment), or the collective sorrow people will genuinely express, and most of all, my ability to handle it. And just the fact that it's like life is going on without Bill and I really hate that feeling.

Today is the 4th Monday since Bill passed. One month. I can't even believe it. The most time we ever spent apart was three weeks, and that was WAY too long.

Well -- wish me luck. Off I go...

Just take a deep breath and ask God to give you what you need to get through the day. Don't look for or expect more than that for a while. Going to work is a good thing but there will be challenges. Just remember the people there really do care they just aren't quite sure how to handle your pain. Prayers going with you. Lillian

Hoping that all went well today. It is hard but, Most people do understancd and are caring about us when this happens. I had tremendous support from all my co-workers about Meltdowns and emotional outbreaks. Prayers, Hugs and Strength for today and always.

Thanks.

It wasn't as bad as I thought. The worst thing was the "life is moving forward" feeling. But also that Bill and I always called each other when we arrived somewhere. So when I pulled into that parking lot and knew I couldn't call him, that was probably one of the hardest. We always emailed too. So...I sent him an email this afternoon.

Workmates were great. One had brought in flowers from her garden. Another a nice breakfast cake. And we went to lunch. So, for a first day, I guess I couldn't have asked for better.

Hugs,

I love flowers from a garden..........and the breakfast cake was certainly a lovely gesture. I am so glad things went as good as they did. When you mentioned the calling and emailing ~ well, it gave me pause, for those are two things Fred and I have done as well. The thought of missing those ~ well ~ I am just so sorry, Teri. May each day be a bit easier to cope. I am not saying better, just a bit easier to get through at work.

You are amazing, Teri. Bill was a very fortunate guy to have you ~ as you him. Many of us are pulling for you that your days don't seem quite as long to get through.

Kasey

So very glad to hear you had a nice day back at work. It sounds as if you have some very nice, thoughtful co-workers that will be really sensitive to your feelings as days go by. I can definitely relate to the feelings you had about not being able to call Bill. Dennis and I used to so the same thing. It was such an empty and lost feeling not having someone to call to let know I was safe. So, now I just take a second, close my eyes and thank Dennis for making the trip with me.

Teri,

I'm glad that your first day back to work went well, although I'm so sorry that you are feeling Bill's absence so acutely. I remember missing the phone calls after my husband passed too. He used to call me about 3 or 4 times a day when he was out on disability! Memories are bittersweet. I hope that each day will grow easier for you to go on without the love of your life. I am in your corner praying for you!

God Bless,

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...

How is it going?

I went back to work last Monday after being out for three months to take care of my friend. Yes, life does go on. And, unfortunately, I've gone back to a high stressed job myself. And this month is particularly busy with deadlines (some for Sept 07, Sept 25). So I will be working my butt off.

This weekend I went to visit the grave and I just sat there and I cried and cried and cried. I'm ok today, but I have those moments. Last week at work, in the midst of a "crisis" (aka, lack of planning on your part, does not constitute a crisis on my part) deals. I had a moment when I just lost it and became emotional and started crying and had to leave my office for about two hours.

It's not easy, but I'll get through it. It's easier when people are a little more understanding, but, then again, life goes on as you said.

Please keep strong. Let me know how you're doing.

Teri,

So glad the day went well.

We had a habit of saying

''I'm back'' when one of us came

back home.

I still do it even if I don't get an answer

and will keep doing it.

Hope the other days will be fine,

work will take some of your time and

will help along the way.

Hugs

Jackie