Just diagnosed with SCLC

Wattle21

My mother-in-law was hospitalized approx 3 wks ago for a stroke. While in the hospital, they found a "spot" on her lung they thought might be cancer. A biopsy was done, it came back small cell lung cancer. We seen the oncologist, who ran all kinds of tests (PET scan, CT, MRI). Everything came back negative, so her cancer was the limited stage of small cell cancer. She starts chemotherapy next week, with radiation to follow in a few weeks. I hope somebody has some survival stories for me. I am a nurse, but from everything I have read, it is telling me her average survival time is less than 2 years. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks.

Welcome, Wattle21. For many people with SCLC, the outlook isn't nearly as grim as you described! :D Take a look at the postings on the "My Story" and "SCLC" message boards and I think you'll find some that are very optimistic.

Please let us know how your mother-in-laws treatments are and how she is feeling. Best wishes to both of you.

Muriel

Hello and welcome to the board

I am sorry about your mother in law's diagnosis but glad you have joined us.

I cannot offer much as far as information or advice but would like to say, please do NOT listen to the statistics and prognosis you will find and hear. Those stats are numbers, averages and your mother in law is a unique person. Everyone responds to treatment differently as you will see as you read more of the stories and history on this site. There are so many postive stories and so much hope to be found here among this group.

Please let us know how we can help you and we will be here for you.

Warmly

Christine

My Mom is going into her 20th month since being DX. You can read her profile below. There are many more survivors on this site and many more that we have met @ the hospital where my Mom gets treatment.

PM me if you need to.

Dar

Please dont read stats.... everyone is different. We were told 6 months ands we are past that so take it one day at a time and enjoy the days. These folks here are awesome and one your worse days someone else will be there to pick you up. This the way I surivied it all!!!

Welcome to the group! The fact that your MIL is clear of detectable mets outside of the chest and therefore "limited stage" or "limited disease" SCLC is a big deal. That means it's potentially curable according to the experts.

Since you have a medical background, you might like to read a current article on LD-SCLC by Dr. West at onctalk.com. There's a wealth of information on the site, primarily on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us have "dual citizenship" so to speak, and have the same usernames there as here. I suggest you start with this article, Current Standards of Care for Limited Disease SCLC:

http://onctalk.com/2006/12/01/soc-for-ld-sclc/

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome here, sorry you had to find us but glad you did so we can help you through this.

Like you have read in the posts here, we DO NOT listen to stasticts. There are so many on here who have beaten the odds and are doing fine years later. Some disease free, so you see there is always hope. Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle.

We are here for you for any questions you may have or if you just need support.

Hange strong, and please know that LC is not a death sentence.

Maryanne

• 5 months later...

well, now it's October and my mother-in-law is still fighting SCLC, just last week they found a spot on her brain, 1.2cm tumor on her brain. They are planning to do cyberknife treatment on her. now i know her prognosis probably isn't that great. i have hope for her though.

Hi Wattle and thanks for the update.

Cyberknife is an amazing tool and there are many on this site who can give you a lot more information about it.

How is your Mother in law doing other than the brain met?

Please keep us posted and know we are here for you!

Christine

Welcome Wattle.

Since there is no spread to any other area of your mom's body, I think she may still have a shot at long term survival. They may want to do Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation (PCI) on her brain when she is done with cyberknife (CK). It is a low dose treatment that is used to kill off any mets that cannot be seen. One can still do ck after PCI if another met shows up.

Don M

Hi Wattle,

My mom also has SCLC and has a brain met which was first treated with radiation and then gamma knife (same as cyber knife). The procedure itself was simple for brain surgery (you can do a search here and probably find more) - we actually went to lunch afterwards! We go tomorrow for her next set of scans, but you can see our journey below.

There is always hope and the one thing that I've learned is to take this journey one day at a time. And today... it's a good day! Wishing the same for you there.

Love,

Nicole