I'm risking the jinx.

Sam'swifeShirley

Ok guys. I'm going to take the risk this week and make my first posting on the "Good News" forum.

My brain fog (radiation encephalopathy) is lifting. I haven't had a nap in two days! I still get a little heavy headed in the afternoon but it passes.

My persistent esophageal ulcer (from the chest radiation and agrevated by the prednisone) must be better as my odynophagia (painful swallowing) and esophageal spasms are 90% better now.

My steroid myopathy and ataxia (muscle weakness and clumsiness) are definitely better now that my prednisone dose is down to 30 mg/day.

My bronchoscopy last week showed no cancer. My shortness of breath is at least stable, on the prednisone and continuous oxygen and I still have hope that I will be able to get off both the prednisone and the oxygen and function. I can actually do two miles in about 45 minutes on my treadmill now, with the oxygen, of course.

Not so good news but not so bad, my weight is higher than ever before but I started a diet yesterday. I'll report back on that.

An finally, I went in and saw a few patients today, for the first time in over two months. Just a few but it's a start. No one seemed to mind the oxygen tank.

I hope everyone has good news soon!

:D:D:D:D

Way to go Sam!!!! I'm so happy to hear such good news. Especially that you actually saw a few patients. It sounds like you are diligently fighting to get your life back. I pray that you get back 100% of it.

When I was on high doses of prednisone I gained a lot of weight. I was up to 210. I had never weighed that much my whole life. But in Apr. of last year I crashed and almost went into a diabetic coma. That's when i was diagnosed with diabetes also. The doc. said it was type 2 brought on by steroids. I was also using a steroid cream over my entire body because of a rash reaction to Iressa. Anyway, my point is, I had to go on a strict carb counting diet and in this past year I've lost 65 lbs. Hopefully when you take less prednisone your weight problem will correct itself. I'm down to 10 mg. a day and hoping to go to 7.5 this summer.

Sam, I sure hope to see you posting more and more on the good news forum.

Teet

Sam

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to be just like you. On the treadmill and off of this prednisone. Do you think the walking is helping with the breathing?

I have had to up my dosage to 40 MG per day. Pulmonary doc is sending me to Pulmonary Rehab on Friday. I guess I have to go through some testing then to make sure I can get through the rehab.

I have gained 50 pounds on this stuff and have been buying new cloths. My entire body looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy with a big moon face.

I see my oncologist in the am to get the results of my scans. Will post tomorrow night.

Sue M

Sue

I'm sure that the exercise helps. The good thing about the treadmill is that you can stop anytime you have to, or slow down or speed up as you can. It also can't hurt with the weight. I've got to do something about that. For years, I've weighed about 200, which is 25 to 35 more than I should. Now I'm 213 and can feel every pound. I got down to 184 in the peak of my radiation esophagitis last summer.

Will be praying for good test reports for you and productive pulmonary rehab. I'm not doing any formal rehab yet but very well may in the future. I'll be anxious to see how yours goes.

Hey David,

Man I wish I could. Walleye is one (of many) that I've never caught. Here in Georgia we mostly catch large mouth bass, catfish and blugills. I've watched an awful lot of walleye being caught on The Outdoor Channel and Outdoor Life Network though. Maybe I'll take you up on it later.