Hello everyone

Opaline

My Name is Leona, and I was suggested here by my cousin, who is a nurse. Four years ago I was diagnosed with Lung cancer and has a portion of my left lung removed as a remedy. Recently I was re-diagnosed with the same, in a different location. My doctors are recommending radiation and chemo, and I was wondering if anyone here could help me with their results. I hesitate to take them both together, because I don't know how the results might be and how they might effect my body. I am curious to know who else has done this before and what their end results were. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :-)

~Leona

Leona,

Hi, and welcome. I will try and answer your question the best that I can-although I think it all depends on what type of chemo. you will be recieving.

Anyway, my Dad had both chemo and radiaiton at the same time. We have nothing to compare it too, but all in all, it wasnt that bad for him. He did chemo 3 days a week, and radiation 1 day, and all I could tell you is that for him, the radiation was worse than the chemo. The radiation was aimed at his neck to get the lymphnodes, and he had trouble swallowing. The only problem with the chemo was a loss of appetite. He couldnt keep much down.

The end result with his combo is that it worked. His tumor shrunk more than half, and the radiation killed all the cancer everywhere else. He is currently scheduled for surgery at the end of this month. Like I said, I think its different for everyone though. Give it a try, you never know.

Jamie

Hi Leona and WELCOME!

I like to refer to the combo of chemo and radiation at the same time as "The 1-2 Punch!" It's a big whammee to try to knock the crap out of the cancer right up front. It's sometimes hard to get through, depending on the individual. To me, the caregiver, when it works, it's worth it! and when it doesn't work, it was still worth the try because you just never know who it's going to help. That's a caregiver's perspective. The patient's perspective can be totally different because they are the ones that have to go through it. It's an individual choice and a tough one.

My husband started with whole brain radiation by itself, and then had chemo once a week and daily chest radiation treatments at the same time, and it knocked him flat on his back. He did get a lot better and stayed that way for 5 months, and has been working full time since Dec. 3. If he hadn't had it, he might not be with me today - nobody knows. We're having a setback right now, but entering the fight once again.

I think as you get more replies from patients, it will better help you to know what to expect.

I'm so glad you found us, and please keep us posted how you're doing.

God bless you,

Peggy

Leona,

Welcome! My husband also had both chemo. and rad. to his chest. He had 37 rad. treatments and did very well. He had some difficulty swallowing toward the end. He was given "Magic Mouthwash", which helped him tremendously. The results were fantastic! His tumors shrank by 50%. Again welcome. I have only been on the board a couple of weeks. It is a great group of people! So caring. Take care.

Welcome Leona,

So sorry to hear your cancer is back, but it sounds like you still have options and that's a good thing!

You will hear many different stories here as to doing chemo and radiation treatments together, yet you may also notice it's not uncommon for lung cancer patients to go through this. One thing to keep in mind is EVERYONE is different in there treatments. What may have happened to one person, may NOT happen to you, etc....

I had my left lung removed 9 years ago come July. I then underwent Chemo and Radiation treatments together 7 weeks after surgery. During my treatments I ate Pizza, hamburgers, and what ever else I wanted to, and I have very FEW side effects. Yes, I lost my hair, and NO I didn't get sick. I came through my treatments in flying colors, so to speak. I did get somewhat emotional from the chemo, (crying, saddness) I also was put in the middle of my (change of life) OY VEY! :roll: I was only 43 years old at the time. But, I got through them all! Having a positive attitude is 9/10's of this battle. (at least I think it is)! They have come a LONNNNG ways with the new chemo's and anti-nause med's.

When you feel up to it, maybe you can share with us, what kind of cancer you have. Have you gone through your Bone scan and Brain MRI yet?

You will find learn a lot of good information here from other patients/caregivers. You will also get a lot of MUCH NEEDED SUPPORT.

I hope you'll stay with us.

Best wishes.

Hello Leona,

I had 25 radiation treatments with six days of chemo at each end. It is indeed the one, two punch! I had a large pancoast tumor, and initially it shrunk significantly, and seven weeks later the surgeon removed a dead tumor, quite large. The shrinkage ensured that there were good margins. We only found out after removal it was DEAD. That was almost four years ago.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

XOXOXOX

Prayers, always...

MaryAnn

Hello Leona,

Everywhere you read it says that taking both chemo and radiation together is becoming more and more common because it works that much harder. But like they say no pain no gain and it may be hard but the final reward may be all worth it, and like a few people mentioned Some people react completely different, everyone actually reacts different they have come a long way, you may be pleasantly surprised. Besides the doctors wouldn't offer you it if they didn't think you are strong enough to handle it so you should feel good about being given those options.

Good luck and keep praying I will be.

Have your doctors definitely ruled out resection as an option?

I think the survival rates are usually higher for concurrent chemo/radiation vs sequential. You should discuss your fears with the doctor and ask about the different medications that can help reduce side effects like ethyol (Amifostine).

I would discuss the different options with your doctor and even get a 2nd opinion.

http://www.oncolink.org/conferences/art ... =20&id=254

Benefits of resection for metachronous lung cancer.

Battafarano RJ, Force SD, Meyers BF, Bell J, Guthrie TJ, Cooper JD, Patterson GA.

Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, One Barnes-Jewish Plaza, 3108 Queeny Tower, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA. battafarano@msnotes.wustl.edu

OBJECTIVES: The benefits of resection for metachronous lung cancer are not well described. The objective of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of surgical resection for metachronous lung cancers. METHODS: We reviewed the charts of all patients who underwent a second resection for a metachronous lung cancer from July 1, 1988, to December 31, 2002. Type of resection, operative morbidity, mortality, and survival by stage were analyzed. Survival was determined by using the Kaplan-Meier survival method. All patients were pathologically staged by using the 1997 American Joint Committee on Cancer standards. RESULTS: Pulmonary resections were performed in 69 patients who had undergone a previous resection. The mean interval between the first and second resection was 2.4 +/- 2.5 years. Seventy-three percent of patients presented with stage I cancers, 9% with stage II cancers, and 17% with stage III cancers. Lobectomy and wedge resection were performed with equal frequency (42% each) for the metachronous cancers. Operative mortality for the second resection was 5.8%. The mean follow-up after the second resection was 37 months. Overall 5-year actuarial survival for the entire group after the second resection was 33.4%. CONCLUSIONS: Operations for metachronous cancers provided survival that approximated the expected survival for lung cancer. Surgical intervention should be considered as a safe and effective treatment for resectable metachronous lung cancer in patients with adequate physiologic pulmonary reserve.

I had my chemo and radiation at the same time. I first went to radiation them went over to another room for chemo. They told me the chemo make the radiation more potent. When I had surgery later all they found was scar tissue, no live tumor. Wishing you the best Donna G

• 2 weeks later...

Leona,

I had surgery then radiation, no chemo. I'm sure there are others here that can answer your concerns about taking the two together...

Welcome to the board, sorry for the circumstances.

Regards,

Becky

Hi Leona,I'm also from Pa.I had my entire left lung removed,& was told no need for addittional treatments.Four months later I had it in my right lung.I took radiation and chemo at the same time.Was told the chemo helps the radiation.It did significantly reduce the tumor & it has been stable now for 6 months.I usually got sick 2 or 3 days after chemo.It does tire you out and make you sick but are are meds that help with that and it is DOABLE.Hang in there and keep us informed,and welcome to a very good,knowing and caring group of people.