The First South Jersey Lung Cancer Walk/Run & Rally

Hebbie

The First South Jersey Lung Cancer Walk/Run & Rally

Nov. 6th from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Cooper River Park ~ Jack Curtis Stadium

North Park Drive & McClellan Boulevard Pennsauken, NJ

Join us for this exciting event at Cooper River Park and take action in the fight against lung cancer. There will be a 5K Walk/Run, along with a 1-mile “fun walk”, followed by a celebration and rally! This meaningful event will include ways to celebrate lung cancer survival, as well as honor your loved ones who have fought or are fighting lung cancer.

Registration is $25 or a total of $25 in pledges/sponsors. To register, please contact Heather Saler or visit www.lungcancerwalk.org

Contact Information:

Heather Saler

Phone: 856-231-1158

E-mail: bsaler@comcast.net

www.lungcancerwalk.org

• 2 weeks later...

We officially raised our first "corporate sponsorship" for The 1st South Jersey Lung Cancer Walk/Run & Rally!!!

If anyone out there has a business contact/connection, and you think they may be interested in hearing more about becoming a corporate sponsor of such an important LC fundraiser, please send me a PM and I will send you our sponsorship packet to present to businesses.

We can do this. We CAN make a difference!

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that I am the only one posting here - so I'll just keep posting to keep this thread fresh! :wink:

Our walk is moving right along. We had the good fortune of securing Dr. James Stevenson from the Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania as a speaker at the event (and are working on a committment from Dr. Corey Langer at FoxChase as well), along with two wonderful LC survivors (one from this board!)

We also have a local radio station signed on to broadcast at the event and make announcements for people to "come on down!!" It's shaping up nicely -- now we just need participants!

There are now 4 different walks taking place around the country on November 6th and this is our chance to make a difference! So, if you live near one of these events, please try to make it so we can show the world that we do exist.....that we will not just lay down and die.....and that we can make a difference!!!!!!

This concludes our soap box session for today.

www.lungcancerwalk.org

Heather,

I am from the northern part of NJ. Unfortunately, I will be in Connecticut that weekend so I will not be able to participate. Did you try to contact NJ 101.5 for radio support? They are the Jersey station and have a good south jersey following as well as in the north. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you with before the race.

Maureen

Yes -- I DID contact NJ 101.5 Radio and they are on board!!!!! They are going to run free promos of the event, and they are also working with another radio station that is about to switch format. That new station will also start running free promos, and will be appearing at our event to play music -- I'm really excited about it!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK -- here we go!!!

I am being interviewed tomorrow by a pretty big newspaper regarding my "story", as well as give details of our upcoming lung cancer benefit walk.

I'm sooooooooo unbelievably nervous, but know that this is my big chance to spread the word, so I will have to suck it up and go for it!!! :lol:

Anyone have any advice on one or two "key points" that I should MAKE SURE I get across?

Heather,

I would think mentioning that most people have no symptoms until they are late stage might be good....and that non-smoking young women seem to be a "popular" group with this disease.

Oh, yeah...and don't say "ummmm"...."uhhhhhhh"...."okay".....or "well" too much while speaking! :wink:

You'll do fine, quiet them butterflies and have some cue cards with stats so you get the numbers right.... 8)

WAY TO GO!

Becky

Well, we've had our first minor walk setback. Our water sponsor, who agreed to hook us up with bottled water for the event about 2 months ago (a business contact of my husbands), has now decided that the Breast Cancer Walk that he is supporting requires more bottled water than he anticipated, so he is unable to assist with our walk. Ggrrrrr......

Does ANYONE know of a company that would donate approximately 300 bottles of water to our event?

Trying to compete with the breast cancer support is like beating your head against a wall.....but I know that is WHY we need to have events like this.....to get the same momentum that they have gotten. There are now 4 LC walks happening in November -- I guess this is the beginning of a Lung Cancer Movement!

Heather

ps -- my interview is going to run on 10/19 -- but I managed to score another interview with a smaller paper (covers about 3 towns) -- that happens this Wednesday!

Just thought I would do a little bragging on behalf of Heather. She and her very cute husband, Brad have done an amazing job of pulling this whole event together. To meet Heather in person is truly wonderful. Not only is she incredibly competent, meticulously organized, and a self starter, she encourages others to take part in any way they feel they can participate. Plus, she has a wealth of family and friends who go the extra mile for her, for lung cancer in general. They all have this I Can Do attitude.

So, if anyone lives within 2-3 hours of Phila area, please consider on coming that Saturday morning. Her run is just off 95, not to far from the Ben Franklin Bridge so very accessible from NYC, Baltimore, and even Wash. She and her family have done a particularly good job at getting oncologists, hospitals, donations, media, local businesses to participate.

Besides, wouldn't it just be fun to all get together?

As we all know lung cancer sure doesn't get it's due. Heather and Brad are trying hard to put a face on lc. Hats off to you Heather!!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, but let's not forget your role in this event as well!

Kathy has been instrumental in getting the word out to all area hospitals!

It's definetely been a "group" effort -- one that I am so proud to be a part of!

So.....the first of my two newspaper articles finally ran on Tuesday. I am attaching a link below!

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/l ... 01904a.htm