here's a silly question-sorta non cancer related

OK, Dave and I bought a used travel trailer before we got Faith. We used to tent camp and then decided to get a TT, easier with the dogs and we figured easier with a child. so we got one used and it's in good shape but now we realize it's just not big enough for the two of us, two huge dogs and an active child. and of course we haven't used it nearly as much as we planned due to dave's illness.

so I dream about a brand new travel trailer - one with slide outs and a bed big enough for dave and I sleep in together and a bed for Faith all her own without having to sleep on a pad on the floor with the dogs . . . and a clean shiny kitchen and and a real bathroom . . . and the open road ahead of us, when Dave is well and we are off on lots of fun family adventures!

so every now and then I look at TT websites or drive through a dealer's lot. well, there was a show/sale here in Richmond on Sunday and we stopped by and I immediately found the perfect TT. I found Dave and took him in it and I could tell he liked it ALOT too. in fact, he kept saying on the way home how much he liked it. which made me like it all the more . . .

So we've been tossing around the idea of actually buying it. Can we afford it? Will we be able to actually use it enough to justify getting it? Should we take $10,000 out of my retirement savings to put down on the loan so we can afford the monthly payments?

I need objective advice! Should we get this darn thing and live for today, or should we be prudent, wait until spring and see how dave is doing and then make the plunge? I'd love to take a few weekend fall trips but not sure if he's up to it, the chemo is really kicking his butt right now.

Another thing, we use our TT as a guest cottage, Dave's sister and her husband and kids really like staying out there, but it would be a whole lot nicer if they had the nicer TT, which really is more like a cottage when you open up the slides (plus it's got more of a real bathroom in it!).

OK, input my friends!

Thanks,

Karen

Curtis

not much more than that I think (scary). thanks for your input!

Also, guess part of my desire to buy a brand new travel trailer is that I'm making a statement to myself and the whole world that LIFE WILL BE NORMAL AGAIN.

Waiting until Dave feels better means I'm waiting to see IF he feels better.

Buying it NOW means I KNOW he'll feel better.

Make sense?

Karen

one more thing . . .

I've been cheating on this board and visiting another board - the Trailer Life travel trailer forum! On it I found a lung cancer survivor who bought a TT as soon as he recovered from surgery! I asked him to come here and visit and post his story because I thought it would be inspirational and he did. Check him out - HickoryC under the My Story forum.

Best,

Karen

Karen, Dave--

You only live once.

A good friend was killed suddenly several years ago (before I had cancer). He was buried on his 45th birthday.

I realized if my life flashed before my eyes I'd have a huge pile of

REGRETS.

I vowed then and there to change a few things.....

After all, Snowflake's beer truck could have other plans..... and then

where would you be?

Fondly.

XOXOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Prayers always

Karen,

My boy wants a motor home. I won't buy one because I don't think we would get the use out of it that would justify the monthly (and total) payments. We don't really vacation much, so a week in a hotel where someone else does all the cooking works for ME. (heheheh)

BUT, were we able to travel and enjoy the great outdoors more and show it as an asset instead of a liability (for example, a monthly trip that would be more than the payment if hotels were involved) I might be tempted...

Sounds like you actually "use" it as a guest wing of your home. Looks like there is more use than the typical "American" summer vacation trip...

Question is, can you sell the old one to offset some of the cost of a new one? Have you seen a "gently used" one that makes the grade that you would be able to get for less?

Think with your head, not just your heart...if you truly can justify the expense, if it "works" in your monthly bills, why the hell not? 8)

You know you're going to do it....LOL

Enjoy,

Becky

Karen,

Last night instead of running cancer and dying through my head I allowed my self for the very first time to consider I might have a future. I turned over in my mind very tentativly some ideas for starting my own business. It was so nice and I feel better about life today.

Since Oct and my DX I have lived with out a future. The radiation is kicking my butt. But It is doing it so I can survive and have a future. I have to believe it will work, or why put myself through it. The best thing you can do for your family is believe in the future, a future where you and Dave and Faith are doing the things that make you happy together. If a TT is a real investment in your families happiness I say go for it if you can. Give yourselves the future.

Blessings

Betty

Becky.

I SAW THE FINE PRINT!

Yes, we have some practical uses for it. We're getting alot more overnight visits especially from Dave's sister and we don't live anywhere near a motel either. so that would be nice. AND, you can use the interest payments as a tax deduction as a second home, did you know that?

Yes, if we were like you and never traveled except for an annual vacation it would be frivolous, but we love hitting the open road, even for weekends.

Keep the opinions coming folks!

Karen

Betty - GOOD FOR YOU, live for the future - start a business!! Go for it, girl!

Karen,

I have noticed at times you post with a list of all your stressors--two year old, commute, job, etc. etc.

If buying the TT will take more away from the list of stressors than it adds, then go for it. No one knows enough about your financial situation. However. taking money out of retirement funds at your young age is not usually a good idea. I know, I've done it. Sell your old one and use that money, and take as little as you have to out of the fund.

elaine

Karen & Dave,

We took 10,000 dollars out of my retirement without penalty because of the cancer diagnosis (major illness). I am on permanent disability. The only draw back on taking the money is you have to pay taxes on it at the end of the year. There will be a penalty to withdraw from your retirement plus the taxes so I would think about that carefully.

I know this sounds negative but we purchase credit life on any large loan so that if something happens to one of us it is paid off.

Do what your hearts says.

John

GO FOR IT!

We don't know what future we have, but we do have the present. My sister had serious heart trouble, and I wanted to take her on a trip somewhere (she didn't get to go many places). I kept thinking that "some day" I would do that for her. Then I realized there may not be a "some day" out there, and Lucie and I took her on a two-week trip to the Canadian Rockies. She had to get permission to travel from her cardiologist, but he was delighted to give it. We had a marvelous time. The next year, she died. I am so grateful I followed my heart and not my practical head.

In that same vein, that is why Lucie and I decided to go to Scotland for a week in May. She had wanted to do that for years, and she was healthy enough at the time to make the trip. My daughter went with us because she wanted to have those memroeis of Lucie also. We had a great time.

I think you should continue to follow your dream and move on it. Best to you both. Don

I have to laugh when you call me a voice of reason, lol. I am sitting here thinking maybe we should try to buy a house like we had intended to do after we finally sold our house where we used to live. Or maybe we should move to a townhouse where there wouldn't be yardwork etc. The house we live in now is depressing me and it's a rental and I am not sure that we should be spending our money to fix up someone else's house. I do know that when we took money from the 401k, we did have to pay taxes plus a 10 per cent penalty and there was no way around the penalty that I could find.

Anyway since I don't have prescription coverage, I worry that we shouldn't do anything...

I know where you are coming from.

love and fortitude

elaine

Guest bean_si (Not Active)
Waiting until Dave feels better means I'm waiting to see IF he feels better.

Buying it NOW means I KNOW he'll feel better.

Make sense?

Karen

Karen, That makes perfect sense to me. Everyone tells me next year, we'll do this... When you're better, we'll have this adventure.. and on and on. I'm living now. My brain says to wait and my spirit says to take the money and (for me) travel for the first time in my life. I'm planning Amsterdam in January. Hopefully I'll still be able to cycle - formerly my favorite type of transportation. Then Ireland. Then Scotland. I'm waiting to January because it's first time my daughter can get vacation.

I argue with myself - take the money and go to M.D. Anderson but heck it would barely pay for basic tests. In the meantime, I want to live. I'm thinking of going to Ireland alone in November or somewhere - just somewhere.

Karen BUY IT!

Cat

One thought, Karen...by living fully for the moment, are you insinuating that you don't feel there is a future? For example, spending retirement money (future) on a "biggie" for now?

Are you stuck in a Catch-22 here?

Just a thought that kinda hit me upside the head...

But you KNOW you're going to buy it...or something a little more "reasonable in price"...now, aren't you? Your heart is winning out here... :wink:

Karen,

It's Joni - how are you? Ok, stupid question....I think I have a pretty good idea of that considering what you're going through.

In regards to the trailer....since colder weather is coming soon, could you maybe wait until spring when you could use it each weekend?

another idea I had if you buy it, take out a second mortage - you can write off the interest on your income taxes (yeah).....

I guess my initial reaction is not to buy it - everyone else says go for it I know so I'm the "bad" guy but...you need to reduce your stress now, not add to it, do you know what I mean?

I hope you are doing good. I don't post much, just kinda skim along. Wanted you to know I was thinking of you.

Just to put in my 3 cents...

VOICE OF REASON HERE...

Can you take the money out of David's retirement (sorry Dave) instead of yours? That way you will only have the tax to pay from the early withdrawl and no penalty. Make sure if you do this you tell them it is needed for expenses due to the cancer so you won't pay the penalty for early withdrawl. Also, plan for the taxes because it will add $10,000 to your income. If you can find another source of funds other than your retirement it would be best.

You will regret not taking the vacations as a family much more than the trailer payment I think..

Rochelle

Hmmmmmmmm - why do you think I bought the motorcycle?!?!

I've always wanted one, was afraid if I didn't do it now, I might not have the chance, and figured that the finance company wouldn't tolerate me getting sick before term! So it was kind of an insurance policy. (Oh and I also, like Ry, took the additional insurance in case something happens to me...)

Cancer is a horrible thing - and the mind can be a dangerous thing!

I say GO FOR IT!!!!

SandyS

Dear Karen,

I want you to send me a picture of the new RV because I am with the 'go for it' group. Earl and I had just started doing the things that we wanted to do because I didn't want to do them when we were too old (like blue hair old) to enjoy them. Didn't get to do them all but we had many wonderful times which are now wonderful memories.

Only suggestion is a home equity or second mortgage - rates are good and you get the tax write off.

Love ya,

hey guys.

I have no idea why we're not discussing the second mortgage/equity line thing. Dave is a mortgage underwriter! we need to talk more about it.

Becky, geez, you sure are making this hard, yep, living for today could be a negative, like I'm afraid there's no tomorrow. that's a good one. but fortunately that's really not what I think. If I thought Dave didn't have a chance to live much longer I wouldn't buy something I wouldn't use without him. This is something I think we could use forever together.

And Becky, quit making that fine print, it's killing my eyes! 8)

No, the point is, THIS is our dream trailer! The one we've been looking for! If we could design it ourselves this might be it! The one we have now is the one we bought because it was a good deal and easy to afford at the time. Sorry, if I could satisfy this longing with a substitute I wouldn't be so deeply in angst right now.

and I must say I feel silly for posting this question at all when we all have so many bigger things in our lives. but I was on a travel trailer forum and this guy was agonizing, going on and on, just about whether he should pay extra for gold paint trim on the exterior of his trailer! I so much wanted to post with a "aren't you glad you don't have bigger things in life to worry about" but you never know, he might, and this is his outlet, so I bit my figurative tongue.

Thanks for the input,

Karen

Karen,

WHAT could be more important than one of our group discussing an aspect of their LIFE....the one they are LIVING.....the point of all we go through is to LIVE...and talking about the possibility/probability of realizing a life dream is part of what we all need to be doing here. Buy the RV, take a trip or two into the mountains for this Autumn, and enjoy it. But do discuss a second mortgage vs raiding the retirement fund.

I hope you have a blast...