PET and CT results

stand4hope

We met with hubby's oncologist this afternoon for test results. Basically, everything is still stable, and we are pleased. We would have liked to have seen some shrinkage here and there, but we will take stable and smile.

The CT was of the chest, abdomen and pelvis, which was the first time the abdomen and pelvis were scanned, so there was no real comparison other than to the PET done last May. The CTs of those areas showed multiple bone mets in spine, ribs & pelvic area with bony destruction consistent with those mets. I knew about the mets, but didn't like hearing the words "bony destruction". The pleural effusion (small) is unchanged. "Moderate pericardial effusion persists".

The PET showed an overall reduction in uptake, although everything is still there. I JUST WANT IT TO GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I know these results are good, however, my heart doesn't seem to be catching onto the pleasure. I guess it's because I was so hoping for shrinkage. Well, going to go cook him a big dinner.

Love to all,

Peggy

Peggy,

I know what you mean about hoping for something greater. But stable really is a good thing. I remember each time our onc gave us that result, feeling happy, but a little disappointed, but I think back on it now, and stable results really gave us about a year with little treatment and few worries. I am grateful for it.

But CONGRATULATIONS. This is really good results. Plus a decreased uptake, as I've heard it explained is really a good indicator of what is there being weakened and less dense. These are all good things.

Have you talked to a radiation onc about radiating the bone mets. We've talked to our radiation doctor a few times (Keith's had radiation twice now and will be starting WBR on Monday) but we've also talked about the possibilities concerning bone mets. Our rad onc did say he would radiate bone mets even if it wasn't for pain relief or pallative care because bone mets respond well to radiation. Knock those puppies out of there before they can cause any seriuos degeneration.

You are always in my prayers

God Bless

Carleen

Thank you for the responses!

Elaine: I didn't get an answer - the onc wasn't very friendly today.

Carleen: His radiation oncologist (not the primary onc. that we saw today) told us they don't want to radiate those two big mets on his spine unless they get painful or cause problems. The reason is because the spine can apparently only take a limited amount of radiation - too much radiation can seriosly damage the spinal cord. If they radiate now, they might not be able to radiate later if it's needed for pain.

Thanks again everyone!

Peggy

Sounds like overall good news. As I tell my patients, a person can live forever with stable. Gratz!

As far as the radiating asymptomatic bone mets (also referred to as "spot-welding"), another down side is that every time you radiate, especially spine and back, you are permanently killing off some bone marrow. If chemo is needed later, would be nice to have all the functioning bone marrow you can get.

Dear Peggy,

I am sorry to hear that the results of the scans were'nt up to your expectations. We always hope and pray so hard don't we. AS Carleen says though, stable is good too.Thanks for the info on the back radiation, I was wondering why our Doctor didn't get busy and radiate Dave's spinal mets.

Lots of love to you all and have a Happy weekend.

Paddy

Peggy,

I know you wanted shrinkage because that is what I would have wanted as well. However, I loved the way oncodoc put it about living forever with stable. Hope you enjoyed your big dinner and would appreciate any leftovers that you might have being mailed to _________,Al. :lol: My mother had a sign in her kitchen that said "Kitchen closed on account of I am tired of cooking" I wish I still had it to put in my kitchen now.

Nina