I'm Home!

Elaine

Neither my husband or I was impressed, but at least she gave us both something to "talk" about., as in HER faults, lol.

She had NO personality. Did not give me any meds!!!!!!! She ordered tests. I had ANOTHER chest Xray and more tests to follow. I SO wanted another Dr. who is there but who isn't taking new patients. She acted like she was afraid to touch me!

Oh well, she only mentioned smoking ONCE!

elaine

Glad you are home and not in the hospital. I have been looking for your results post since about 4:30. Sorry that you and the doctor didn't hit it off tho. Look on the bright side tho, maybe next time she will be out of town and you see the other doctor. If you knew when the other doc was on call perhaps you could manage to have a need to see him. :)

Elaine,

I'm glad it went ok and you are getting more tests done. A better personality certainly would have helped, but I guess as long as she knows her stuff and gives you good medical care, that will be good. I'm also just glad it's over with and you DID IT!!!!!!! A great big ATTA GIRL to you, my friend.

I'll PM later tonight.

Love,

Peggy

Well, let's just hope that she is one of those socially inept but brilliant physicians who will do well by you. She may not have much of a office-side manner, but I'm thinking you are better off at the new place compared to your previous provider. (think of the old Onc's Head Nurse and her attitude towards Lung Cancer patients.)

Hey I have one of those brillient but socially inept individuals for a doctor. My infectious disease guy I see since my endocarditis is a freaking loon to make small talk with but man does the guy know his stuff. I can live with him cause well...he's the reason I am alive. So I hope your person is the same way...whacky but smart :P . And btw at 2:30 I was thinking of you during you apt.

Rochelle

Oh the TWO Doctors I had that I LOVED were probably wacky! The loved to talk and say, "I don't really know, but I will find out or I will send you here or there" and they LOVED to laugh and I loved to laugh and make people laugh. We figure this woman last laughed in toddlerhood, lol.

The other one that I LOVED was also nice, a little too godlike, but would show a human side and wonderfully sarcastic, which can be fun! (Irony completely went over THIS woman's head or she finds my irony a bit not serious enough for my "drastic" situation.

I don't think she is as young as I thought she would be , but she is skinnier than Ally McBeal on her wasted days.

She was definately hateful about the smoking, but only mentioned it once, not that there was a reason to mention it all.

I have no idea why she didn't give me meds, but by the time I was leaving, even I forgot about them, since I was thinking how the heck am I going to get out of having HER as my Dr., lol. I have a feeling she wasn't all that keen on having a lc patient herself.

Well, I guess I am not looking for someone to marry my son, so....

elaine

Well, I guess I am not looking for someone to marry my son, so....

:D

Good way of looking at it, Elaine. I, too, am glad you kept the appointment and tend to agree with those who've said personality isn't as crucial IF the woman really knows her stuff! That said though, I also know it's a lot nicer if we can sort of connect with our doctors.

Sheesh...where's Marcus Welby when you need him, huh? :roll:

I had a kidney doctor for a number of years. He was short and full of himself :? ...but the man knew his kidneys so I stayed with him. Until.....until the day I got a little weepy in his office, having had some weird visual and balance symptoms. I have a sister with M.S. and one of my dad's sisters spent the last 20 yrs. of her life in a wheelchair from M.S.

But the kidney doc hears me out, then sort of lays his hand on my shoulder and says, "I think you're stressed, dear. I think you need to see my wife, Evelyn. She's a therapist." :shock::shock::shock:

He's lucky I didn't report him to the AMA, for one thing. But I walked out of his office that day and never went back! Some things are deal breakers, you know?

Anyway, sorry I got off on my own tangent..but I hope you either can get in with one of the other docs in this building that you wanted to see...or that IF you give this doc another chance, you'll find her a bit more compatible.

Well I am sooo glad to see you posting and see that she did at least order tests. Sounds like she is maybe a Stepford Doctor?? :) I mean terribly skinny and no personality, lol. Maybe she will refer you to someone wonderful after tests. When are those tests anyhow? Glad your hubby went with ya too, is always good to go with someone to these appts I think.

Glad you made it through that, sense of humor intact.

Love

Nell

Elaine,

I am proud of you for going. I know you had misgivings and you overcame them to at least try a new doctor. Maybe she will grow on you, like some one else said, and you will at least grow to admire her skills. Hey, ordering tests is a start. Let us all know when etc so we can send special prayers. I think the smoking thing was out of order, but all of my doctors wanted to know if I smoked for my history, so she isn't the only one. Since then, non of them have mentioned it. Give her one more chance and hopefully she will send you to a great doc if you need another one.

Nina

Well, shucks. Sorry that one went south on you. Just why isn't it a requirement for people who want to practice medicine and see patients to be human beings? Grrrr ...

When I changed Oncologists, it was primarily because of personality -- or his lack of personality, I should say. He's well known in the research community, and a very intelligent person, but is a lousy person, IMO. I think he should stay in the lab and not be allowed to see patients!

Keep trying -- maybe you can convince the one who isn't taking new patients to take you! I'm with Bruce -- be sneaky if you have to! Some docs will take new patients on referral -- do you know any doc who would refer you, or is s/he just not taking new patients period?

Oh well. You have my good thoughts coming your way -- fighting cancer is 'enuf, without having to fight jerks who call themselves doctors too, huh.

Di

So sorry, Elaine...there seems to be so many of these zero-personality docs around nowadays; makes this journey harder than it already is :(

Hopefully, your tests results will be good, and you won't have to deal with her much! In the meantime, keep looking, and follow Bruce's advice if you have to (smart guy)!

Mary

Well Elaine, after all that with your new PCP, and not getting the doc's you wanted, that's a big bummer. :( BUT the most important issue here is you! What tests are they going to do, and when do you go back for them? What drugs did she give you? I didn't think you were taking med's? How did your Chest X-ray come out, or didn't they look at it while you were there? I know they don't always! I'm soooo lucky that when I have a chest x-ray the doc always looks at it, and the radioligist checks it out as well. (I know I'm lucky)! (wish I could share my doc's with you)

And on top of alllll of this, how have you yourself been feeling? I think you need to give us an update on you. Your always so kind as to support everyone here, and I think maybe we could offer you the same. :)

I know the GOOD news here is, when you joined LCSC, you had said your doctor's had given you only (6) months at MAX to live, and welllll I guess you have proved them wrong, THANK GOD they didn't know what they were talking about! Did you ever get your staging information? I know you were concerned about that a while back.

I know you always encourage all of us to get all the information from our doc's and leave no stone unturned. I sure hope you have had the opportunity to get all the information about your dx.s.

I wouldn't lose to much sleep over any doctor or PCP that wishes to discuss smoking. In part, it's there job, but as long as your not smoking I would just point blank tell them, that your not there to discuss your past habits (no matter what they may or may not be) and then I you should tell them that you wish to move to the next chapter. I would also have them make a HUGE NOTE in your file that your not at the doctor's office to get beat up because you use to smoke!!!

Are you still considering trials? Did you ever get your insurance taken care of? I know you were very concerned about your insurance. God knows we can do with less stress, and that insurance crud is more then stressful! :shock:

Wishing you well and good test results. Keep us posted.