Us too........need your advice and support.

karenl

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Well, I have not wanted to post this news, but am looking for information and support. Earlier this week, Mum had a head CT due to some cognitive symptoms that were of concern, and 4 brain mets were discovered.

She started dexamethasone immediately to reduce the swelling, and is commencing WBR next Thursday. I have pm'd Cheryl about this already, as she is just a couple of steps ahead of us, and of course she has been very supportive and I am avidly following her posts, but I wanted to share it with the rest of you now, in the hope that you can provide some additional info on what to expect, and how to best deal with the treatment and its effects.

I know that there has been alot of bad news on the board lately, but if anyone has a spare hand for us to hold, we'd appreciate it! It's suddenly gotten very dark down here....... :(:(:(

Thanks in advance

Karen

Hi Karen,

So sorry to hear about this...shoot.

Yes, we have had our bit of not so good news lately. I don't have any words of experience to give to you...(yet) but I know that there are members of our group who have gone through it. TAnn comes to mind.

Someone will be by to help with details. In the meantime, all of my good thoughts and prayers will by going to you gals down under.

Keep up the fighting Spirit!

Cindi o'h

Before coming here, had someone said to me "brain mets," I'm afraid I would have called the undertaker and just folded my tent. In this forum, I've read SO many times of people getting on top of these with WBR, then coming here to tell us about it -- unbelievable to me only a scant 6-7 months ago, and now it's a fairly common occurrence. Amazing.

I remember sitting in the hospital, talking to my sister when we first heard the "cancer" word, but still not knowing where it was, exactly what kind it was, etc. I told her I was sort of like President Bush and the troops (!) -- I figured I had plenty of troops to fight cancer, but if it was in too many places in my body, I didn't know if I could fight that. Fortunately, I didn't have to make that choice then, and with God's blessings maybe I won't, but I didn't know then what I know now -- that the people who come here and post know all about that stuff.

They have the same fears as me, but they suited up and jumped into the fray, and they constantly amaze me with their insight and strength every time they post.

Now, I know I can do it because they can. They did. They still are. And so will I. So can your mom with your love and support.

Di

Hopefully this helps:

Cheryl was first fitted with a mask made of plaster. They put you on the table and raise it up to the ceiling where the radiation begins. Some say a distinct odor appears for a brief moment. The smell occurs when the radiation changes the air quality from O2 to O3 for that short period of time. The whole treatment lasts less than 1 minute and is painless. You don't even have to shed your clothes. Please tell your Mother it is quite uneventful. There are some side effects, ie; hair loss. tiredness and some dizziness as well as some nausea. Cheryl is doing chemo w/ the WBR so it's hard to say what is causing what. Hope this helps...will keep you posted.

Jack

Sounds about like the PCI, Jack -- except, did she see the lights? Some of us who had PCI saw streaks of light while the radiation was going in -- did Cheryl? It was really strange! I didn't go quite as high as the ceiling, but they did raise the table, and the radiation machine went around me.

Except for the bleepin' mask, the treatments aren't so bad, huh.

Di

Actually, she did comment on her eyes "strobing" after the procedure but didn't mention that happening during treatment. The nausea has subsided a little bit, but she is very tired. God bless her, last night @ midnight she crock potted a roast and also made brownies. The roast is for our supper tonight. She is an awesome cook and refuses to give up. She is a very strong woman and we are going to beat this.

Jack