Poor Choice

Mary

Okay I need your help. I have resorted to smoking the nasty buds again. I can think of alot of excuses but that is what they are excuses. Anyone have suggestions on how to quit. The patch worked the first time but it gave me a very nasty skin rash that itched horribly. (Took my mind of smoking though)

Thanks,

Mary

Mary, my suggestion is that you read your own signature line!! You and your family have suffered enough loss to lung cancer-don't give the cancer a helping hand. Look at you family. Take care, and good luck. I KNOW it feels impossible, but it ISN'T...

YOU CAN DO IT, MARY, I BELIEVE...I AM CLAPPING MY HANDS AND SAYING "I BELIEVE THAT MARY INMAN CANNOT BE CONTROLLED BY NASTY BUTTS!!!!"

Take care, and please keep us posted as to how you are doing. Deb

Mary , first I am so sorry that you lost your sister. This is a difficult time for you. Have you tried Zyban? You need a script from the doctor, by the way it is cheaper if you call it welbutrin, the exact same thing. I was a perpetual quiter, every morning. I tried everything, along came Mister Stress and I thought I could not live without my "friend" . Now I really know my "friend" was no good for me. After you start Welbutrin you are suppose to plan a quit date . Before I got there I had forgotten to smoke this being during one of the most stressful times of my life. Mary don't believe that voice that tells you to use those cigarettes, it is a liar. Sometimes all you really need is a big deep breath, or to call a friend, or think of something that makes you happy. Please take care. Donna

Hi Mary. I had sucess with he nicotine inhaler the oral one not nasal, it gave me a kind of cigarette feel plus you get a little taste. was a heavy smoker and after i quit I realized the urge to smoke only last a minute or two, might have 500-600 urges a day but they didn't last long. I'm also an addict, have been sober and clean almost 21 years(except for nicotine), tobacco was the hardest to quit, don't quit quitting keep trying one time it will stick. Addiction is cunning, baffling and powerful. I wish the best for you.

Mary,

I don't personally have any experience with smoking, but I've watched my father try and quit a million times, as well as my sister and husband.

Keith finally quit cold turkey, after making up his mind one day and that was that.

However, my father smoked for over 50 years and then had a triple by-pass which made doctors highly suggest quitting. For him, the nicotine inhaler really worked because it helped with the cravings as well as the actions and habits associated with smoking. They say part of the difficulty with quitting on top of the addictive nicotine is the oral fixation and habits.

My sister also had health problems that prompted her to quit (pulmonary embolisms and blood clotting problems). She went on Wellbutrine. She said it helped her take the edge off and controlled the crankiness but it didn't really control some of the cravings especially after meals.

I wish you the best of luck with this, as I know that in your heart you truly desire this and it is so hard.

Carleen

Dear Mary,

I never tried the patch because I thought I was smoking to "ease anxieties." I asked my PCP for a prescription for Zyban and she gave me generic Wellbutrin. It really helped to take away some cravings. Then she gave me literature that told me that a craving for a cigarette goes away after 5-10 minutes whether you smoke a cigarette or not. I found that to be true.

I also used lemon drops. And then I used this line of self-talk whenever I craved a cigarette--"I don't do that anymore." I also took it a day at a time. I was like an alcoholic with cigarettes and I found that concept helped me to understand and accept this addiction.

Mary, you are too valuable a person to throw your life away for this. You are probably depressed and may need some medication. It took the fear of possibly having lung cancer to get me to quit--don't go that far Mary.

Ada

Hi Mary, don't beat yourself up because you started smoking again. Just keep trying to quit and consider everyday that you can go without a cigarette a success. This works for me. I quit and went back over and over again and then I decided that if I can quit even for one day that's one day more that I am smoke free. 10 weeks so far this time. I'll take what ever I can get without the cigs. Just keep trying and know that you are not alone in this addiction. Good luck one day at a time. Nancy O. :wink:

Hi Mary,

Many sympathies to you in this battle! I quit slightly before my DX was official, about 4 months ago.

Smoking seems a past life to me now, but I still have a crutch. I second the suggestion for the nicotine inhaler. I still use it, even after a lobectomy. It has been the best and easiest way for ME to quit. Wish they had them years ago. I actually enjoy them, they give all the junkie pleasures you get from the smoke, without the smoke.

I don't suggest you just swap one bad habit for another tho, but they are a godsend to a smoker that has a tuff time.

I used about 3-4 cartrdiges a day when I started on them, I didn't use any nicotine when in the hospital. Unfortunately, I went back to the inhaler after I got home. But at a much reduced rate. I use 1-2 cartridges a day now. I am not even concieously cutting back on them, it is just a natural tapering for me. I probably will do without them when my last batch of them is gone here. I have probably 200 or so left.

Try again..never quit quitting!

Hi Mary,

Well I am also trying to quit and so far I have been successful. I just started the process and that is why I tell people that I am trying to quit smoking rather than saying I quit.

I, too, have been taking Zyban. I thought that I would be able to quit right away after my dad was diagnosed, and we had buried my auntie, but I was/am addicted. My sister is also on it and unfortunately is still smoking and keeps changing her quit date. I have not had a single puff in 6 days now....I know its such a short time but it really is something you have to do one day at a time. The way I look at it....every time I want to have a cigarette I think "well if I do it would still be ok considering I havent had any, but then all my hard work of going 3,4,5,6 days will be worthless". Why start over?? My sister is smokeing right now as I type this and to be honest, yes I want to join her. But I wont. My doctor said it best when she said that by quitting I can give my dad a really good gift.

Everything is different for everyone...but I wish you the best of luck...one day at a time!!!

Tracy

Mary,

50 ways to leave your lover:

1. Cost of cigs

2. Smell on clothes, in hair

3. Yellow scum on walls, lampshades etc.

4. Socially ostracized

5. Fewer places to eat

6. Miss parts of movies to run out for a butt

7. etc

And oh by the way, YOU WANT TO LIVE - LC IS NOT NICE

I quit 6/15/02 at 8:20 am after smoking for 45 years. My husband and I both stopped the same week. He was dx on 9/21/02. While it was not the LC that stopped us from smoking - it was the total fear of lung cancer that made me stop.

I always thought I could never do it, and found, while tough, it was not a difficult as I thought. I took 3 wellbutrin and used the patch for a week.

Good luck with quitting. Try it - you'll like it.

Mary,

I know that this is an addiction not a habit and therefore it is difficult to quit. This is a huge step comming her and admitting that you started again and need help. May God Bless You In This.

Now the hard stuff.

My mom never wanted to quit and that made it really hard for her. Do you have children? Do you want them not be hurt and lonely without you in their lives. This hurts so bad being without her every day. She is just not on vacation and I can't call her. She is missing out on so much right now./ She is missing out on Life!

What do YOU really want for yourself?

Prayers and Hugs, Shelly

Well, I've never smoked but I know it's hard to quit :? My grandfather was smoker, he never quit. My grandmother was a smoker and she did quit, just like that. One day she just stopped, and my grandfather would go out to smoke and even though he smoked a lot, my grandmother never smoked again. That right there shows me that is possible to quit when you are a smoker. She still craved it, but she said she didn't want to mess up her lungs, or other vital organs ;)

Hi Mary,

Like you my dear, I come from a LONG line of Lung Cance in my family as well. And low and behold I did get lung cancer as well! I too kept smoking after I lost my father, mother and sister to lung cancer, and then when Lung Cancer hit me and they yanked my lung out I QUIT!!! DAH!!!! :roll::roll: Don't wait to get to that point my dear, IT SUCKS!

You HAVE to keep youself busy my friend! You have to keep those hands going in every which direction! You already know all the excuses, so I'm not going to preach to you! As long as you KEEP trying to quit, your NOT a FAILURE!!! One of these times, it will STICK for you! Mind over Matter. (IT DOES MIND, and YOU DO MATTER!) Keep trying! You'll get it! (((((((((((MARY))))))))))))

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

MARY,

NONE OF US CAN TELL YOU WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW. WHY ASK? IT IS AS SIMPLE AS DO YOU WANT TO LIVE OR DIE. IF THE ANSWER IS DIE, THEN KEEP SMOKING. IF YOU WANT TO LIVE, THROW THEM AWAY AND FIGHT WITH ALL YOU GOT TO NEVER SMOKE ONE AGAIN. THOSE CIGS ARE THE DEVIL........