Bone Scan for Charlie - UPDATED

tnmynatt

Need your prayers in the coming days. Charlie started having pain in his back around T8 at the end of radiation treatments. The rad. oncologist ordered a bone scan to check it out. We are praying that it is radiation damage and not something else. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated. His scan is Monday, June 13th.

Just a little nervous. Praying for you all. Take care.

• 3 weeks later...

Peggy,

Check my profile now. The P word. Very disappointing results from his chest CT done on Friday. Nothing seems to work. We will be waiting until July 8th to start something new.

I talked to Beth about Avastin via PM. I don't understand how she is able to get it. It isn't approved. Beth: are you on a clinical trial?

Anybody have any ideas of a new treatment? The doctor is talking about Etoposide as a backup to Avastin. HELP!

Take care. Praying for us all.

Well, crap! I'm so sorry to hear that, Tina. Don's onc told us before he started the Alimta that there was something else we could do if the Alimta didn't work, and he said "Add Avistan." He said it was "off-label". He said it hasn't been approved for lc, but I didn't think to ask anymore questions about actually getting it administered.

We go for Alimta and Zometa again on Friday - I'll ask the onc about that.

As always, I'm praying for you guys!

Love,

Peggy

Peggy,

Thanks for being here for me! I don't know what I would do without everyone's support here. Anything you could find out about Avastin would be greatly appreciated. What a rollercoaster we are all on. I prefer the ups to the downs! The downs really suck! Praying for us all. Take care.

Love,

Tina

Tina -

So sorry to hear about Charlie's progression. I hope you can get the approval to get the avastin - until then, I will keep you and your family in my prayers although I wish I could help more - you were such a big help when I thought Mom had a PE and was absolutely panicked. Know that I am thinking of you!

Much Love,

Amy

Tina :

IMO when trying to secure authorization for a non-formulary or ' unapproved ' drug ask your med onc to submit an ( urgent ) request to the insurance carrier briefly stating in a convincing argument why Charlie needs Avastin NOW and, if applicable, why ( less expensive ) alternative drug(s) that haven't been tried should be bypassed. It doesn't look like Charlie is currently on Tarceva but if he is it could actually help the approval process since Tarceva / Avastin is already a recognized therapeutic combination and your med onc can submit clinical data to back it up. RE: Avastin, I think that the drug has good potential. The only drawback is the potential danger to those patients with a propensity to bleeding episodes. In this case, bleeding in the lungs. Such patients need to be closely monitored and tested. Alimta is another drug worth considering. RE: spinal tumors, I urge you to get an opinion from an interventional radiologist before pursuing any specific tx for that.

JMO. Good luck.