Sad news about Grandmother...

MelanieLR

Hi All,

I know I listed on my 5's yesterday that it looks like all my Grandmother had was acid reflux. I just found out it's cancer. They are not sure yet of the origin but they know that there is a tumor the size of a fist on her pancreas. I really wish it weren't there. That can be an intensly painful place for it. I can tell you one thing - I was absolutely certain when it hit my pancreas. they had to double my pain meds & it still doesn't quite cut it.

We had a great talk today though. We have something in common that gave us a special bond to go through this together. She said that she was glad that she wouldn't have to be away from me for very long & I was thinking the exact same thing. At 90 years old, she doesn't want to go through treatment & I sure don't blame her. She said she's had a great life but that it's time to go home now & see the multitudes of people who are waiting for her & to meet her Maker.

It's kind of sad that she was asking family members what of her things they wanted. Everyone was coming up with all the expensive stuff (I just don't get that) & when she got to me, I said I wanted to get the old family quilt so I can get it caught up to date to pass on to my neice. She made my Aunt go home & bring it to me right away so I can get it done before I'm too sick to work on it. This quilt has pieces from things like christening gowns, wedding dresses & suits, with names & dates embroidered on the cloth. There are many new pieces that need to be added & I'm thrilled that I get to do it. I've got to get my neice over to show her how to continue the project. The first piece of cloth used on it was my Grandmother's christening gown 90 years ago. It's embroidered with "Baby Helen / 9-3-15".

Anyway - please pray for peace for her & a painless journey.

Hugs & prayers,

Melanie

Hi Melanie

So sorry that grandmother has pancreatic cancer. Your post really struck me for personal reasons that my own 84 year old grandmother was taken by pancreatic cancer. I didn't like that she suffered at all. She, too, was eager to join up with all of her relatives in heaven.

After her death, her only child, my dad, asked me what of g'ma's that I wanted. I told him that I wanted her quilt. He didn't even know that it existed. She had it packed away in the back of a closet. When I was in Junior High, I would sometimes walk over to her house on my lunch hour and she would be working on it. She embroidered the top and then hand quilted every stitch. It is fabulous and a piece of her soul and spirit that I cherish. It is not in the back of a closet.

Honey, the one good thing about p. cancer is that it is relatively fast. She will be a bright spot in heaven if she is anything like our MelanieLR. I will pray for good medicine that will help with the pain and sickness.

love,

Cindi o'h

Melanie,

We only want to send words of comfort to you and here you are for us. You have given us a very good understanding of your grandmother and we can see, easily, that your wonderful spirit and generosity is a family trait.

Blessings.

Pat and Brian

Oh, Melanie...I'm so sorry about your gramma and also your situation. But what a blessing that you are wise enough to know and treasure your relationship with her...AND the value of that quilt! You're a smart girl to know that that piece of family history is a TRUE family treasure!

I'll be holding you both in my best thoughts and wishes for all the comforts, joys and memories you can pack into any remaining time for her. And it might not hurt to hope that her cancer is not pancreatic...but from somewhere else that might just make things a little easier in the end.

Best thoughts to Grandmother...and you too, dear, to have some wonderful moments working on that quilt and teaching your niece how to carry on with it.

Melanie, I am so sorry to read of your gransmother's diagnosis. I can tell from your post that she is a truly amazing lady. I think your choice in selecting the quilt is a great one. Quilts are such wonderful heirlooms and there is nothing quite as comforting as a family quilt. I have several quilts that my dear grandmother made and when I'm having a really bad day, I just wrap myself up in one of her quilts and it's almost like being wrapped up in her arms. I'm praying for both of you!!!

Melanie

I am sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandma passed from pancreas cancer. It was caught very late.

One thing about being older and wiser (not that most people are as wise as you) is that we do know what really is of value.

Now you will put your mark on the treasure. May the quilt keep being passed on into infinity, just as memories can and will.

love and foritude

elaine

Melanie,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My grandmother was the most special person in the world. We lost her a couple of years ago at the age of 98. She was smart, witty and telling jokes up until the day before she died. Our grandmothers are special because they love us and spoil us rotten.

Dear God, Please please send an extra bundle of blessings to Melanie and her wonderful grandmother.

Love,

Peggy

Melanie: your grandma has my prayers for a peaceful passing.

I remember when I was 6 years old I would watch my grandma as she knitted a large afghan wool blanket. it was black and green and red. I asked as a 6 year old if I could have it when she died. She said sure. My grandma died in 1982. My grandpa gave me the afghan. I still have it. It is as pretty as ever. It would be 56 years old now. It is on my bed.

Don M