Getting to Know You - August 31

Ann

My very first car was a 1972 Pinto hatchback. It was 6 years old at the time. It was a mustard-yellow color (a less-polite friend said, "Oh! It's the color of puppy sh**! :roll: ) First thing I did was buy a killer stereo system and have it installed.

I loved zipping around in that little car - could park anywhere! My then-husband talked me into giving it to his mother in 1982. I missed that car! :cry:

Leslie

The first car I bought myself was a 1966 VW bug. I spent one whole winter pushing it, then jumping in and throwing it into gear to get it to start. It was the alternator but nobody could figure it out. It also had the front seats that flew through the back window in an accident.

My next car was just like Leslie's - 1972 gold Pinto (I bought it new, maybe she bought mine.) This is the car with the bomb in the back.

Then I bought a 1976 Plymouth Volare which had the lowest resale value of any car in the market.

When it was time for Earl and me to buy a car together, he told me to stay home and he would call me and tell me what colors the car came in. This was based on my record of car buying.

The car I learned to drive in, that later became mine, was a 55 Chevy. This car was my dad's pride and joy! He bought this car new and treated it as if he was caring for a newborn baby! How I would love to have that car now!!!

It was a 1977 Chevy Nova. It was a standard shift with the column shift and military green, affectionately referred to by my girlfriends as "The Tank". My grandmother passed away when my sister and I were 16 and asked that we get the car. My sister couldn't master the art of a standard shift, though I could...so it was me that drove us around in that monster. I remember the first day of school after we got that car and driving it onto the student parking lot, it was back-firing and all. My sister asked me to let her out a block before school, but I refused. We pulled in feeling so self-conscious about being seen in this car and low and behold...this car was a "dude" magnet. We had a half-dozen boys around us wanting us to pop the hood (of the car). Anyway...it's been a while since I thought about the Tank. Thanks Ann, good question.

My first car was a 1954 dodge wayfarer that i bought from a preacher. He slightly exaggerated on it's over all condition (brake's etc)but then what did i know i was just ready to drive with no question's asked.That wonderful car and i had some exciting moment's such as (no brake's) ran into a parked car full of Girl's,then going hunting and having a friend setting on the front fender and he fell off and i ran over him , he survived but my car did'nt as the Sherriff removed it from my pocession (impound).But it still was fun while i had it.....

first car I 'had' was my mom's old 1981, french blue DEISEL peugeot. yeah, we know all about the french making cars. it had a sun roof, which I loved, and I covered it with grateful dead stickers. 8)

first car I bought was a 1959 pontiac catalina - it had serious body rust and an oil leak but its fins were intact and it ran well. it got about 10 miles to the gallon. I drove myself (and my date) to my senior prom in it, then sold it the day the 1st gulf war started.

I bought a used 1971 Ford Maverick. It was white, with burgundy interior and a burgundy pinstripe. My dad brought me to pick it up and I remember him asking me if I had test driven it. Of course I said yes even though I hadn't, I just liked the way it looked!

Anyway, it was a 3 speed, on the column, and like Dee, I had no idea how to drive it. I had to admit to my dad that I lied and then spent a bumpy day learning to drive stick.

Within a year, someone went through a red light and took off the front fender which I never replaced. I had to stuff a hefty bag in the right front vent inside to keep the cold air from blowing through but it never quite worked and in winter I damn near froze to death. :lol::lol:

I had a piece of c#ap Mustang II...no, not the cool Mustang of '67...but a 1976. My dad and I went and looked at it...it had a rod loose in the engine and rattled horribly. But for some reason I had to have it. So I drove home with it...only to have the transmission blow about 3 weeks later (drove around with blue smoke shooting out the exhaust) and then the engine went about a month later. I did put a new stereo and cheap speakers in it and cranked my music. For some reason I felt so cool driving it. :)

I don't miss that thing!

Geez...I had a 1983 Mercury Lynx stationwagon as my first car. It was a 5-speed and brown so it became "the Brown Bomber". I remember taking my younger brother, best friend and boyfriend (to become first husband) to a monster truck rally in it and following a group of friends with larger vehicles - I took an on-ramp to I-75 on two wheels and scared the hell out of myself....of course, I STILL have a lead foot... :roll:

Mine was a 1974 Ford Gran Torino (ok, i was BORN in 1975 :shock: ) but it ran like a charm. She was christened "myrtle the love yacht" while in highschool. I used to race her thru the s-curves on the way to school in the morning and jump her (yes, she would jump!) over a part of a road in town after school. Wow..i DO miss that car!

Mine was an 8 cylinder 1962 Pontiac Bonneville. Could you imagine if I had to put gas in that car today. :shock: . And I had to use Premium :shock:

It had a beautiful body (hmmm so did I at that time :wink: ) but it was a freakin lemon. I put so much money into that car (my dad also) :oops:

My favorite was like Leslie's, my Yellow Bird, 1972 Ford Pinto. I bought it brand new for 3500.00. It had leather bucket seats. That was my baby :wink:

Maryanne

I didn't have a first car until after I had my third child. So it was 1984 and I had a "believe it or not" mustard color Pinto Wagon it was a 70 something. The hood would blow off if the bunji cord was loose and you couldn't drive over 45 miles an hour or it would smoke up the whole road.

A used, brown, stock VW Rabbit. Only had an AM radio in it! :D Hubby bought it, parked it outside and said, "It's yours when you get your license!!" 8)

I was 33 years old with two kids :shock: and finally decided getting them to the pediatrician, having to TRANFER buses to get there...was NOT my idea of fun. :?

Lived in a big city at the time...never really had to learn to drive prior to that. That car was SO basic...but I didn't care. It ran and it was mine! :D