Getting to Know You - October 12

Ann

My mom was a very talented seamstress and could whip up about anything on that old Singer of hers. I remember one year , when I was about six, she made me the greatest Raggedy Ann costume. All the other little girls wanted to be a princess or movie start! I guess that's me...just a plain old Raggedy Ann in a Barbie doll world...lol!

In college my friend and I made our selves into a greeting card, with a racy punchline. We wore white sweats and shirts, as I remember, made "sandwich board" types of things...she was the front of the card, and I was the inside message. After everyone got the joke, we did separate, but it was a hoot.

:) Kelly

Before one particular Halloween I left my bike behind someones car and it was run over, I was devastated and my parents could not afford to buy me another one.

Our community in Pittsburgh had this big Halloween contest and my mom dressed me up as an old lady (put paper in the back of the dress so I looked like I was all hunched over) well she did such a great job I won 1st place. Yup a new bike!!! I still have the picture.

Debbie

I was The Poultry-Geist....evil Chicken Spirit.

Scream Mask, Rubber Chicken Beak, White Sweat Suit, Red Felt for Comb and Wattle, White Felt for wings, and lots and lots of white feather boas....

(I did not come up with the name Poultry-Geist. That honor belongs to a lady named Barb Miller. All I did was make up a costume to go with it....and wear the thing in public. :shock:

Ok, my favorite was when mom made me a clown suit, she did such a good job on it! half pink polka dots, half blue polka dots, and I had the multi colored curly wig, and the make up. :)

Then, in sixth grade I was Boy George!!! :lol:

I had big baggy colorful shirt, the makeup, hat...

I can't believe I liked him so much back then...lol

He's a mess...

I am 21 years old and i still love halloween. I dress up every year. A lot girls my age use Halloween as an excuse to dress very, shall we say "revealing", but not me. I think i'll be a bumblebee this year (i volunteer at a childrens hospital and i think the kids will love it). My favorite costume ever was when i was 5 and my Grandma make me a Red Crayola Crayon costume with a really cute pointy hat. I was very cute, if i do say so myself.

I never really dressed beyond the simple costumes you buy at the store but one year we fixed my mom up.

Mama was always working. She never did anything for fun. One year my brother was having a Halloween party. My sister in law and I decided to fix Mama up.

I had some red fabric with while poka dots. We made Mama a long skirt and a whilte apron with a shawl from the polka dots too. Then we used some to make a bandana. After we dressed her we painted her face black. She went as Aunt Jamima. She really looked good and caused a big stir at the party.

We were playing a game where you passed a ring on a straw. The first team to get to the end would win a prize. If you dropped it you couldn't pick it up other than getting on your knees and picking it up with the straw. Well my brother had a friend that was about 6 foot 6 inches and weighed over 300 pounds. He was right behind Mama. Everytime she tried to pass the ring to him he would see her black face and blue eyes and burst out laughing. He spent most of the night on the floor trying to get that straw. Everyone laughed so much at him that we played the game several times just to see him react to Mama and get down on his knees trying to get that ring.

I went to work as "Cousin It" from the Adams Family - bowler hat and hair front and back. Only problem was I couldn't see and it was hot as HELL. But it was fun. Later that night, we went to the local halloween parade, me as Cousin It, my husband as "Rasta Man" complete with Rasta hat and braids and my daughter as the "Wicked Witch" complete with black eye makeup and just the right "I'll get you my pretty" voice. We had so much fun. I love Halloween!

Joanie

I can not remember my costumes.

My middle daughter and her friend put on one of her dads big shirts and they went as the two headed man. Hilarious.

Another time I sewed a costume of a gray mouse. SOOO cute. My daughter did not want to wear it-embarressed!! She won 1st prize, she ended up happy. I always made the kids costumes. My oldest son and daughter one year went as Ragedy Ann and Andy. I love dressing them up.

Cindy