scared

myrnalu

My tumor was spotted in an er when i was dizzy at work,was sent for all the ct and petscans and i am facing a removal of the upper right lobe next week.i am very scared.not only of the surgery but of the after effect,or pneumonia.i am 58 yrs old and only like 95 lbs dont know if i can do this.

thank you everyone for all the support.i have never been this scared in my life

marie

Hi Marie, welcome. Sorry you have to be here. Try to stay calm, I know it isn't easy. There are plenty of folks on here that have had 1 or 2 lobes removed and some a whole lung. It is doable. Stay close, there are great people on here to encourage you and help you. Let us know what we can do.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Marie, please take a few deep breaths and try to relax. The beginning of this trip is always the hardest and the scariest. It will get better.

Also, Lung Cancer is NOT a death sentence!!! After the initial shock wans a bit and you can see what is front of you, you will get stronger.

The fact that the your plan involves surgery is good, you may beat this beast quickly, just DO NOT ever give up.

We all have been there and we are here for you.

jim

Marie,

I had the lower and middle lobe of my right lung removed over two years ago. I was 34. My tumor was also discovered "by accident".

You CAN make it through this. It's all one day at a time. Any time you feel you cannot face a whole day, it becomes hour by hour, minute by minute and sometimes, breath by breath. Break it down into the smallest bits you can handle it in. Right now, don't focus on the years and all the statistics you have read (because we all read them, don't we?).

If I told you I wasn't scared before my surgery, I'd be lying. I was scared, I was more scared after my surgery.

You CAN do this. Frankly, there is no other option. Concentrate on breathing, deep breath in through your nose, hold it, and let it out through your mouth, slowly. Relax....work your way through the fear...and I'll stand here with a ball bat and a flashlight to scare all those monsters back into their dark corners.

Take care,

Becky

PS Talk to your doctor about a "Band Aid" of Xanax and Ambien. Xanax for the anxiety and Ambien so you can sleep at night. It's important to take care of yourself, and sometimes, you have to fool your brain into shutting up. Those little negative voices need to be silenced so you can get on with the process of living.

Marie,

Glad you found the right place to post your concerns. The folks here will offer excellent advice. Miss Snowflake (Becky), the previous post, helped me so much when I was suddenly faced with losing my right upper lobe. She is an expert.

Stay around and come a lot for info and support. This is a doable thing. Also, do you notice how we all have info beneath our names? This is called a Profile and it will help us all help you better.

Kasey

I understand your fear. I have 'been there, done that'. Onn July 1st I had the same surgery that you are about to have. They had me up and walking down the hallway the next day in the hospital. I am back at work now and I am not in pain. You will be okay, try not to worry, I know that is easier said than done. Truly you will be just fine and later you will be able to give support to someone else who like you is very afraid. Take care.

Carol

[Again I thank all of you for your replys.You have helped alot.My son found your web sight for me and Im so glad he did.My prayers are with all of you.How long was your hospital stays after surgery?Did anyone get pneumonia?I seem to smoke even more because im so scared.How did you all stop?color=darkred][/color]

Marie,

I had my upper and middle lobe removed and I am now as good as new!!

If you were NOT worried about the surgery, there would be something wrong with you, your fears are all natural. None of us had any experience with this stuff either until it happened to us. It is scary but as people have said, certainly 'doable'.

I stopped smoking the night before my surgery, although my doctor had suggested I give my lungs a couple of healthy weeks before the surgery. But like you, I was stressed, and just couldn't stop. I had my surgery Monday morning and was released on Saturday, and by that time, the nicotine had worked its way out of my body and it was easier to not smoke.

Keep posting, we have all been where you are and know exactly what you are going through right now!! Just remember that you CAN get through this..

Myrna,

I was in for nine days. I had issues with pain management - one being an allergy to one of the drugs. Everyone's story is different, I was told 4-10 days with 5 being the average. BUT, I was only supposed to lose the lower lobe through surgery, change of plans during the operation and I spent a night in cardiac ICU because the surgeon "hurt me more than was planned".

To reduce your risk of pneumonia, use your breathing spirometer. It's going to hurt, do it any way. Cough, keep the lungs clear. It's going to hurt, do it any way. Take the pain medication on time for at least a week. It's a major surgery, it hurts. Take the medication, don't see if it "still hurts" because it will - and it will take a while for the medication to work if you allow the pain to start.

It's not a walk in the park, but it IS "do-able". Keep a positive attitude and focus on making it one more breath, one more minute, one more hour, one more day, one more month, one more season, one more year. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

As for smoking, can't help you there, I never started so I didn't have to quit.

you can do it!!! welcome, you'll get a lot of support and help here. when I signed on flipping out about my mother's diagnosis, everyone told me that surgery is good news - it means they can get that bugger out !!

hang in there, lean on us as much as you have to.

xoxo

amie

Welcome Marie:

it sounds like you have early stage lc, and so are one of the "lucky ones". The surgery is doable. If you have stage 1 cancer, you can have the surgery, and go on with your life, although, you will have to have checkups for the rest of your life. Also, I would ask for chemo followup, even if it is stage 1a. You can think about that later. For now, just get through the surgery. Ask for an epidural block. It manages the pain very well for the first few days after surgery and there are indications that those who have had an epidural block, don't have lingering pain following surgery. Another important part of the recovery is to walk a lot. Good luck.

Don M

Hi Marie, I'm Marie too. I was 58 when I had my surgery and weighted about 115 then. (I weigh a little more right now :( ) It is scary but you'll be fine. As you can tell, lots of us have been there and done that. We know your fear and your concerns. We're very lucky that we live in a time when medicine is advancing daily. You'll be surprised at how fast you'll be up and about. Just remember to take the pain meds. It will help you heal faster. I'll be sending good thoughts your way. Take care.

Hi...I just read your question posted to the ask the experts forum re choking after surgery. While you're in the hospital the bed can be adjusted so that you are sitting up. This helps to ease breathing for folks like us who have undergone thoracic surgery. When you get home you may find it easier to sleep in a recliner until you recover from the initial surgery. Or you can rent a hospital bed that also adjusts to a semi upright position.

I know you are afraid, but truly, you can do this. So many of us have had the good fortune to be surgical candidates. We'll be cheering you on as you recover from this.

Hi Marie,

My husband had his upper left lobe removed and though there is pain, it is doable. He is doing so well and has been NED (no evidence of desease) since the surgery. He did have Chemo after the surgery as a preventive measure. To have Chemo that depends on your stage.

Consider your very lucky that you are a candidate for surgery.

We all here know how nerve racking this it, but trust me you will be fine.

Keep us posted and know we are always here for you.

Good luck,

Maryanne

Hi Marie,

I felt the same way when I was diagnosed and needed a left lower lobectomy...five years ago this month! The ER doc missed it on the xray but fortunately the radiologist the next day reviewed my chart and noted something sitting on my rib. I had to wait a month to get the surgery done at UPenn and I cried (howled)non-stop for a month...my three kids were away at college and my husband was working in a different state. I was alone. I just paced and screamed pure fear and sadness. I too thought it was just another seasonal pneumonia...yikes! I kept cutting down with my smoking until the evening before my surgery. I felt too stressed.

I was very fortunate in that I was discharged without complications four days later. My attitude was so upbeat. I decided that I didn't know what the future would bring but, in the meantime, I could eat more healthy, exercise(yoga was especially good)and stay away from anyone who had negative vibes. As a result you actually feel so much better even if you don't know what the future holds.

My 2"incision is along the edge of my left breast under the armpit. That area has lots of sensations when you are healing so don't be alarmed. Many of us couldn't wear a bra for a long time because of discomfort. Make sure to move both arms gently over your head asap so no muscles tighten up.Also make circles with arms at your side.Make sure to move about the room with your IV pole when you feel steady.While hospitalized and at home use the SPIROMETER faithfully and often. ASK FOR A PNEUMONIA SHOT at your first or second month checkup. It's good for 5 years. If you are prone to bronchitis and asthma type illnesses, this will be great.

The good news is that having a lung removed is the best smoking cessation program. No way will you want to smoke afterwards. However,if you do crave a cigarette, I found munching on raw veggies helped..carrots, fennel,radishes and daikons. I really craved fresh horseradish and made lots of soups with shitake mushrooms...all good things for lung health.

You are so lucky to have the support of all these wonderful people right from the get-go. You will learn lots, be comforted and will be helping others in no time too.We'll all have good thoughts for you next week.

Kathy

I too was very scared. I had my lower right removed. The surgery was not as bad as I expected.

The recovery period was 6-8 weeks for me and the hardest part was the surgeon said I could do nothing but rest. I'm an active guy and that was tough. I still have a very slight paid in my back and shoulder, 6 months after my surgery but i feel great. You will get through it. God bless you and here's hoping for a total recovery. Where are you getting the surgery done??

bill in PA