just diagnosed

nelson

I have just been diagnosed 31.Oct.05 with adenocarcinoma of both lungs inoperable first chemo treatment last week. A life long no smoker & keep fit type of guy age 48 this is a situation I thought I would never have to face.Will let you know how the chemo reacts

Nelson My wife was a smoker and was diagnosed 2.5 years ago w adenocarcinoma. This is the most common type of Lung Cancer and is very treatable. Shehas been through a lot of chemo treatments after 2.5 years and is still fighting this. Chemo has different reactions for everyone. Some have haor loss, some with appetite problems, Lack of energy. Taste problems. You have found a wealth of oinfo and a world of caring people here. This is my favorite group of people.There has been a lot of research into this type of cancer and a lot of treatment options are being worked on. Every reaction to chemo is different. Ask about anti nausea medicine and steroids for energy. That is what deb did when she first started chemo. Think about radiation therapy too. Deb had 8 weeks of Maximum curative radiation to help prevent spread and so far so good. Think positive and always pray. It has helped me a lot. Also keep us posted and ask lots of questions. These folks are great here. Compassionate Supporting and wise.

Welcome Nelson--

Sorry to hear that but glad you found us. A lot to take in at first and a lot to get used to. I too never once in my life smoked. As you can see by my profile I'm still here and doing well. Stay positive and focused. Attitude in my opinion can do a lot in terms of making or breaking one's spirit. Laughter is also a great way to cope and deal with it. Research, research and more research. Knowledge is the key I believe. Join a support group or phone buddy etc if possible. Go through and read the different forms and different member profiles. There is plenty of hope, support, information, caring and sharing here. Everyone has something to offer. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

Rich

BTW: I also moved this over to "WELCOME/NEWCOMERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF" from "L/C In The News" so more members can view it and get more hits.

Nelson.

A very big welcome to you. There are a few Brits to pop in now and again and we all love it! There are quite a few other Europeans to join our cyber-family.

There is much hope. In the beginning, it may not feel like it. The chemos have changed for the better so that there isn't as much nausea. What kind are you taking?

Not everyone survives lung cancer, but some do... why can't it be you???

Please join us often and ask any questions that you may have. One of is sure to have some experience along the same lines.

Drink plenty of fluids and eat as much as can. Try not to lose weight. Like jimben says of his treatment, "If it didn't move, I ate it."

Good luck. We have all been exactly where you are right now..Shocked and scared out of our wits. It will get better, I assure you of this.

Cindi o'h

Hello Nelson

We live near London. My hushand Barry was diagnosed 18 months ago. The first oncologist more or less wrote us off. We sacked him. Barry is now on Iressa which I don't think they are precribing any more except for existing patients for whom the drug has been beneficial but you should ask about Tarceva which is meant to be more effective and has been shown to be particularly beneficial for never smokers. Never be fobbed off which I think is a tendency in the NHS. Get clued up on treatments and be very assertive. Barry is currently leading a normal life. He is working and travelling and feels ok.

Jennie

Welcome, glad you found us. I hope we are of help. Some of us with advanced stages survive, tomorrow it will be 8 yrs since the doctor told me I had lung cancer. Yesterday I got the results of my CT and they said it was fine, no worrisome changes! Keep us posted. Donna G

Hi Nelson,

Welcome to our group. So sorry you had to find us. It must have been such a shock for you to find out you had LC when you never smoked. Thre are many non-smokers here so you are not alone.

Just know that LC is not a death sentence. People beat the odds everyday. You must have condidence in your doctors and keep a positive attitute. Never give up and just believe you can kick this thing in butt!!

We are always here for support and prayers. Please feel free to ask questions if you need answers to some questions you may have. If you need support and prayers ask and you shall receive.

Maryanne

Welcdome, Nelson! My wife is also a non-smoker and there seems to be more of you getting LC. I was physically fit, watching my diet and working out at the gym three days a week, plus walking, when I had a heart attach 8 years ago. The way I look at it, even though this was a surprise (actually genetics got me), I had no heart damage, recovered quickly and have been in good health ever since -- which I attribute to the fitness. Hang in there, good buddy. Let us know how you are doing. Don

Sorry you had to find us, but, we're a great group of folks dedicated to helping each other over the big problems of lung cancer. There are many non-smokers here. Seems that more are getting lc all the time. Environmental factors! Genes! You'll learn alot here and also on the "Ask the Experts" page where you can write to doctors with specific questions. I wish you well in your journey. Keep us update on your progress.

Joanie

Welcome Nelson.

If your experience is like mine, these first few months are the hardest to get through emotionally. It just seems so scary and unreal. Hopefully, you'll find out, like many people here, that the reality isn't nearly as bad as the initial fears build it up to be.

It doesn't mean to same thing to have this disease now as it did even five years ago. Lung cancer treatment and research is in a new era and there's so much reason to have faith and hope!

Look forward to getting to know you.

Leslie

Hi All

Nelson here just had my first review after my first bout of chemo, My first x ray was unavailable so no news but I start my next chemo Thurs 15.Dec.05 the doctor has advised me I have low White blood Cells and if they are as low next week no chemo any advice on increasing my white blood cells would be appreciated.

Regards Nelson